Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is it necessary to change the buttons on X-Arcade if I like the concave style?  (Read 2476 times)

johnsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 02:15:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi everyone. I am a fan of the old style arcade buttons (concave). I have heard people here who have an X-Arcade, and have replaced the joystick with IL Eurosticks. I am planning to do this, but I was going to leave the original concave "happ style" buttons on. Is this ok? I know real Happ buttons would be better, but the buttons already on the X-Arcade feel fine to me to be honest. What are some of the advantages of Happ buttons over those already on the X-Arcade? Is it really worth it to swap them out if I like concave buttons? Would I be fine leaving those buttons on while just replacing the joystick? If I'm not mistaken, the joystick is the main issue with X-Arcades and not so much the buttons, is that right? Thanks for answering.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
The real difference in buttons is the microswitch.
The switches in the x-arcade buttons feel fine to me.  (IIRC, they are e-switch brand)

If you must mod, you could always swap other switches into the current buttons.
The difference would be a lighter activation force.  I bottom the buttons out anyway.
Not worth it IMO.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
The switches in the x-arcade buttons feel fine to me.  (IIRC, they are e-switch brand)

The difference would be a lighter activation force.  I bottom the buttons out anyway.
Not worth it IMO.

Find some cherry micro switches.  They sound smooth without the harsh click-clack.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

johnsmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2018, 02:15:07 pm

Not worth it IMO.

But it's worth it to switch the joystick to IL Eurosticks, is that right? I have an older X-Arcade and I read somewhere (on their site I think) that they recently improved their buttons or something. But I bought a new X-Arcade for a friend and tested it, and honestly I didn't feel any difference. Maybe they did something to improve the longevity? But anyway, I should change the joystick right?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm

Not worth it IMO.

But it's worth it to switch the joystick to IL Eurosticks, is that right? I have an older X-Arcade and I read somewhere (on their site I think) that they recently improved their buttons or something. But I bought a new X-Arcade for a friend and tested it, and honestly I didn't feel any difference. Maybe they did something to improve the longevity? But anyway, I should change the joystick right?

I would think so based on what I've read, but it's been so long since I owned the X-arcade that I don't remember the original sticks very well.
I went from x-arcade to sanwa JLF (way too light) to Happ comps in a tankstick.  I didn't really get a feel for the original vs Happ comps since I used a completely different stick in between.
The opinion of someone who has done the direct swap to Eurosticks would mean a lot more.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2024, 11:15:40 am
yes it makes a difference when playing Street FIghter the x arcade joysticks dont seem to register diagonals like the euro IL joysticks

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
yes it makes a difference when playing Street FIghter the x arcade joysticks dont seem to register diagonals like the euro IL joysticks
Gonna second this one.  I like Happ competition, but either one will work better than the stock X-Arcade sticks.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
Gonna second this one.  I like Happ competition, but either one will work better than the stock X-Arcade sticks.

What a load of crap.  They work perfectly well.  Just swapped the xarcade joysticks to the 1Up and beat all my high scores first time.  You guys talk crap about xarcade all the time and it is inaccurate.  They do the job and do it well.  There should be a rule here about crapping on vendors without a consensus.  Even I changed my pov and bought ultimarc.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist

Not worth it IMO.

Find some cherry micro switches.  They sound smooth without the harsh click-clack.

I have Cherry switches in my whole setup and they are very clickety-click.  Responsive yes, but not silent at all. Mine are from 2002, so I've they have changed since then, I wouldn't know.
"The Manuel"

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.

Not worth it IMO.

I have Cherry switches in my whole setup and they are very clickety-click.  Responsive yes, but not silent at all. Mine are from 2002, so I've they have changed since then, I wouldn't know.

No not completely silent, but if you want silent - then go leaf.  The Cherrys I put in is around the same time (2002), just love them!