Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Squaring up jigsaw cuts... save me!  (Read 4141 times)

Mattiekrome

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2022, 12:34:49 pm
  • Laser Rocket Arm
Squaring up jigsaw cuts... save me!
« on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:48 pm »
About 6 months ago I started putting together a Vigolix out of one sheet of 3/4" MDF.  I don't have access to many higher end workshop tools, so ended up taking it super slow and easy with my jigsaw and really screwed it up bad.  Even though the cut on top looked good, the underside cut moved all over the place, in some areas maybe even up to 1/8" off my intended line.  Needless to say, I don't have 90 degree cuts.  I got discouraged and shelved the project until just this past week.  I decided it's time to fix it. 

I did some looking and found that this can possibly be fixed with a hand router and certain kind of bit.  I do believe I've got access to a router, but likely do not have the bit needed, which I'll just pick up when I find out what I need.  Now the question...

Both sides of the cabinet are pretty much the same size, but definitely don't match up due to the drift of the jigsaw blade.  I've never even used a hand router, so forgive my lack of knowledge on them.  From my understanding I can buy a 'flush trim bit' or 'pattern' bit (not sure, I've seen both mentioned).  I don't really have a very good template to go by, but was wondering if I needed one at all?  Could I just run the bit around the outside and have it square it up, even without a pattern to go by?  Once square I could use the 'good' side as a pattern for the other side.  Even more so, if I got a long 2" bit, could I just clamp the sides together and square them both up at the same time?

Something along the lines of this?  https://smile.amazon.com/Yonico-14130-Template-Router-4-Inch/dp/B00KZM1ES0/ref=pd_bxgy_469_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KZM1ES0&pd_rd_r=c6cf27a9-f5e9-11e8-a28e-8b2b3716acbc&pd_rd_w=LyCSV&pd_rd_wg=z6hyB&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=EH16JTBTV2VYPY0XKPBS&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=EH16JTBTV2VYPY0XKPBS

Noobish question, thanks for any help!

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Squaring up jigsaw cuts... save me!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 04:37:59 am »
 ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 09:50:07 am by jennifer »

Mattiekrome

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 25, 2022, 12:34:49 pm
  • Laser Rocket Arm
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 10:09:47 pm »
Thanks for the tips Jennifer   :)

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:01:50 am »
You picked the right bit to square up the cut (flush trim bit) - you certainly cannot freehand it to clean up cuts.  I also do not recommend trying to do both panels at the same time.

I on all your straight sections - double stick tape (or screw) a straight edge on the line you want to be clean - then use the router to fix it..
On the curved sections - you may need to clean them up by hand if you do not have a curved template to follow.

Once you get one side fully cleaned up.  Use it to do the second side.

Two reasons why the jigsaw went off course:  Lower quality saw will do that or cutting too fast and not letting the blade to the work.  In general I do not rely on jig saws to make good cuts.

On my build - I used the jigsaw to get close to the line - and a router with pattern bit to finish..
HTH
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/