Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Question about side panel art "tuck-in" to t-molding grooves...  (Read 2817 times)

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Question about side panel art "tuck-in" to t-molding grooves...
« on: December 01, 2018, 12:48:15 pm »
I read briefly about an artist on this board recommending to tuck in the side panel art into the t-molding grooves.  It sounds like a great and practical approach to crop the protruding extra artwork out. 

The issue is that I didn't run the t-molding grooves in the areas where t-molding wouldn't apply (behind the CP and back of the cab).  I've already began assembling the cab.  Are there are methods to apply the side panel art that's just as practical if I don't use the t-molding grooves? 

Thanks!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Question about side panel art "tuck-in" to t-molding grooves...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 05:36:11 am »
Just wrap it tightly around edge of the bits where no tmolding,   what pushing it into the tmodling slot does is helps stop the artwork lifting from the edges.  Personally I would just run tmolding all the way around :)  Is there a reason for not adding tmold to the back?

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:42:18 am »
The cab is already assembled and it would seem like a burden to run t-molding on it using the plunge router again.  Seems like I could but I've never tried it.

edit: Yeah I guess I could do it.  Last question: Is it necessary for t-molding on the bottom of the cab too for this method?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 10:45:11 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 02:23:37 pm »
Is the base of your cab on the floor,  if so then I would say yes otherwise when you move it then it will highly likely start to lift the art. If you are on wheels or something then not so much of an issue.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 03:30:24 pm »
Thanks for the help. I’m on wheels but I might as well cut on the bottom to be consistent and tuck in the art from all sides.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:32:50 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 01:00:41 am »
The issue is that I didn't run the t-molding grooves in the areas where t-molding wouldn't apply (behind the CP and back of the cab).  I've already began assembling the cab.  Are there are methods to apply the side panel art that's just as practical if I don't use the t-molding grooves? 
I think in that case you could just staple the artwork down. If they're out of sight, it might not even matter that there are staples present. Do the fold over the edge, then staple along it every 3/4 inches and it should hold pretty well.  I think I may have done this with one of my projects, but I can't fully remember. I know for sure I don't slot cut the back of my cabs, so it's very likely I used a staple gun to keep the artwork from peeling off, and maintained that fold-over look.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 11:22:26 am »
Thanks opt2not, I appreciate it.

I've done the slot cuts around the whole side panels so I suppose I have two choices whether to staple or use all the grooves.  Noted on what you did with yours.