Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade1up Clearance Sale  (Read 185759 times)

MaseMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade1up Clearance Sale
« Reply #320 on: January 01, 2019, 10:12:19 am »
While we are on the rumor mill, several sources have indicated that the 2nd series will be announced in March and will include MKII, Simpsons, and TMNT.  Those three would make perfect sense as they all have mass pop culture appeal.

Will those latter two be actual four player cabinets?

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #321 on: January 01, 2019, 11:51:32 am »
While we are on the rumor mill, several sources have indicated that the 2nd series will be announced in March and will include MKII, Simpsons, and TMNT.  Those three would make perfect sense as they all have mass pop culture appeal.

Will those latter two be actual four player cabinets?

No idea.  With the same form factor I can't see how you could pull off four player.  3-player on the Rampage cab is already cramped. 

chrisdfw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2019, 08:50:58 am
« Reply #322 on: January 01, 2019, 12:09:45 pm »
After reading these posts and seeing some pictures you guys posted showing these cabs after wear and tear, I dont think I will mess with them.
Especially after reading about the cheap controls, and cheap Chinese made.
The reason Im weighing in I suppose, is I wonder if the apparent rise in the arcade appeal could help sustain someone opening a retro style Arcade?

Retro style arcades already exist near many metro areas and barely or don't survive.  They often do a pay by hour free play service or just birthday parties. 

The draw to the original arcades was doing something you couldnt mimic at home.  When 2d games could be played at home reasonably well arcades upped the anti with 3d and large screens and gimmicks like racing networked cabs and custom controls like guns.  Much of it migrated to ticket redemption games. 

Now that kids and adults can do classic games on phones and everything else on home consoles there is nothing to draw them to a room of large cabinets.

The only way to give my kids the classic arcade experience I had would be to move to an island devoid of technology, give them a $5 a week allowance, and let them ride their bikes to a classic arcade room a few miles away.  Hmmmm....doesnt sound that bad.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #323 on: January 01, 2019, 12:33:00 pm »
After reading these posts and seeing some pictures you guys posted showing these cabs after wear and tear, I dont think I will mess with them.
The reason Im weighing in I suppose, is I wonder if the apparent rise in the arcade appeal could help sustain someone opening a retro style Arcade?

Retro style arcades already exist near many metro areas and barely or don't survive.  They often do a pay by hour free play service or just birthday parties. 

The draw to the original arcades was doing something you couldnt mimic at home.  When 2d games could be played at home reasonably well arcades upped the anti with 3d and large screens and gimmicks like racing networked cabs and custom controls like guns.  Much of it migrated to ticket redemption games. 

Now that kids and adults can do classic games on phones and everything else on home consoles there is nothing to draw them to a room of large cabinets.

The only way to give my kids the classic arcade experience I had would be to move to an island devoid of technology, give them a $5 a week allowance, and let them ride their bikes to a classic arcade room a few miles away.  Hmmmm....doesnt sound that bad.

That's so true! My kids won't be able to experience the same thing I did, and that's just fine. They'll grow nostalgic for their own stuff. I can't tell you how many attract screens I watched and how many times I've watched people play video games.

I think they should go with the 2 player roms of those 4 player games.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #324 on: January 01, 2019, 05:21:25 pm »
1UpArcade's parent company will be at CES next week, so they might have some prototypes on display.  I'll post what's there to "stir up" some further interest.  Hope its not all VR and pickup trucks this year.. 
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #325 on: January 01, 2019, 05:25:17 pm »

That's so true! My kids won't be able to experience the same thing I did, and that's just fine. They'll grow nostalgic for their own stuff. I can't tell you how many attract screens I watched and how many times I've watched people play video games.

Sure they can.  Take all the technology toys from them and just give them a NES.  Kids today are so spoiled.  Let them learn the hard way, like us 40 somethings.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #326 on: January 01, 2019, 05:41:44 pm »
Sure they can.  Take all the technology toys from them and just give them a NES.  Kids today are so spoiled.  Let them learn the hard way, like us 40 somethings.
Did you do that to your own kids? How’d it work out?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #327 on: January 01, 2019, 08:13:23 pm »

No, that's not how it works. That was my youth. and while I wax nostalgic for my past, I don't want to deprive them of their present.  Sure, they will have good memories of playing the home arcade games with me, but they'll also have fond memories of ticket redemption games, Roblox, Minecraft, and who knows what else.

I'm thankful my parents didn't make me try to re-live their childhood. I'll do the same for my kids. :)

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:57 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Arcade1up Clearance Sale
« Reply #328 on: January 01, 2019, 09:40:18 pm »

No, that's not how it works. That was my youth. and while I wax nostalgic for my past, I don't want to deprive them of their present.  Sure, they will have good memories of playing the home arcade games with me, but they'll also have fond memories of ticket redemption games, Roblox, Minecraft, and who knows what else.

I'm thankful my parents didn't make me try to re-live their childhood. I'll do the same for my kids. :)

I agree with Lew’s post 100%
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #329 on: January 02, 2019, 03:04:57 am »

The missus and I decided that we wanted our offspring to be more independent and not be relying on us financially.  Both of us were used to living very comfortably in our childhood, and it created a negated experience of an interesting life, than those of limited means.  Instead of expensive electronics and video games, expeditions on learning to fish and hunt, carpentry and needle work, plumbing and electrical, sailing and scuba.  I wanted Tim to be resourceful, to create and fulfill his own needs, than just easily acquiring it.  We home schooled, taught electronics, computing and mathematics.  Religion and the value to be charitable.  Timothy would have been a natural leader and an incredible person to have as a friend.  I think it is the skills we learned from our parents and grand parents that are not being taught today, and being supplemented early on with electronic toys and games.  Formal schooling and discipline in writing skills, than keyboarding and Wikipedia.   You cannot simulate the same experience as we had all those years ago (smart phones vs. pay phones, cinema/library vs. the Internet) but you can try from the beginning and break the circle kids are leaning (or not) today.  You can try.

TOMMYGUN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2021, 04:44:53 am
  • When the time comes you will know
« Reply #330 on: January 02, 2019, 07:13:42 am »
Anyway if you want one of these cab's in Europe you will pay 690 euro on Amazon.de that is 789 dollar and they dont even have every cab available.
They do have the street fighter 2 cab but at that price i can build something better, still interesting that they sell cabs to self assemble with game in it and artwork, some ppl will be happy to own one of these.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #331 on: January 02, 2019, 04:04:08 pm »

The missus and I decided that we wanted our offspring to be more independent and not be relying on us financially.  Both of us were used to living very comfortably in our childhood, and it created a negated experience of an interesting life, than those of limited means.  Instead of expensive electronics and video games, expeditions on learning to fish and hunt, carpentry and needle work, plumbing and electrical, sailing and scuba.  I wanted Tim to be resourceful, to create and fulfill his own needs, than just easily acquiring it.  We home schooled, taught electronics, computing and mathematics.  Religion and the value to be charitable.  Timothy would have been a natural leader and an incredible person to have as a friend.  I think it is the skills we learned from our parents and grand parents that are not being taught today, and being supplemented early on with electronic toys and games.  Formal schooling and discipline in writing skills, than keyboarding and Wikipedia.   You cannot simulate the same experience as we had all those years ago (smart phones vs. pay phones, cinema/library vs. the Internet) but you can try from the beginning and break the circle kids are leaning (or not) today.  You can try.
Yeah that’s not happening for us.
I grew up in poverty for the most of my childhood, living with very limited means, having to scrape and claw for anything I wanted. While I did learn a solid work ethic,  I would never want to put my kid through that experience. When rich people say that’s an “interesting lifestyle“, they really don’t understand the struggle, it’s more of a novelty to them.
While I do want our daughter to learn to work hard, value the dollar, stay on her guard, read people (basically the street smarts all poor kids need to learn growing up) I’m not going to force her to live like some pseudo technology rendition of The Amish, forcing her to experience only things from the past.
No, my plan is to get her to appreciate classic games, music and films, and know how media has got to where it has today. I’ll insert and suggest some of the bangers from our time, as well as support the higher quality offerings of today. But I definitely won’t limit her exposure to the present.

These A1Up cabs are not a high quality offering I’d get her to experience. Well, maybe a little exposure to trash products like this might be good, just so she knows the range of bad to good.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: January 02, 2019, 08:04:41 pm »
Get her a A1UP! Still better than the consoles arcade collections or the jakk hand helds!

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2019, 08:38:41 pm »
Get her a A1UP! Still better than the consoles arcade collections or the jakk hand helds!

i beg to differ, the pac-man 256 or anniversary version is bar-none, the best tv plug-n-play
i have ever played, since it uses arcade roms, includes killscreens, and is near arcade perfect.

sure the control stick is a little subpar, and its only composite video.

but for $10, its blows away machines 10 times the price, and barring xevious, which would be
better with an 8way stick, the other games are mostly classics with small alterations.
dig dug scrolls, but it doesn't impact gameplay.

later

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2019, 09:54:33 pm »
Anyway if you want one of these cab's in Europe you will pay 690 euro on Amazon.de that is 789 dollar and they dont even have every cab available.
They do have the street fighter 2 cab but at that price i can build something better, still interesting that they sell cabs to self assemble with game in it and artwork, some ppl will be happy to own one of these.

Wow that is expensive.  I just shipped my buddy in the UK a Street Fighter for $199.  He had a pick of what ever version he wanted.  :D

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #335 on: January 03, 2019, 02:25:36 pm »
here's my information on making an LCD marquee,
with low cost-midrange and expensive options, ranging from $15-$150-$300 and up:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159201.0.html

total cost : LCD panel + LCD controller + Power supply + Firestick = $(15+$22+$8) + $25 = $70

later
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:41:22 pm by negative1 »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2019, 07:12:03 pm »
@DaOld Man: arcades come and go, though likely there are more than in a while. Can depend on the demographic, as other ethnic groups tend toward an in-person experience.

@smass: I love when people include pictures of themselves in their ads. Only from lack of thought did I not think of someone upselling these. I'm curious to see the outcome.

@opt2not: some think we incarnate out of desire for certain experience......by what device, eh?.......the trick is to land in a spot that will allow you to ride this side of the line of street smart.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #337 on: January 04, 2019, 08:03:44 pm »
@opt2not: some think we incarnate out of desire for certain experience......by what device, eh?.......the trick is to land in a spot that will allow you to ride this side of the line of street smart.
I’ll have whatever your smoking. :lol

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2019, 12:03:01 am »
I’ll have whatever your smoking. :lol

No it sounds like Freudian Jive.

So is not smoking but snorting.  :lol

Not wanting to sound negative, minus one,  but what is that image of Pacman supposed to be?  Looks like some Barcade incarnation.

Its really simple.  Get a 15" widescreen monitor from the goodwill, give it a good wash and some old spice deodorant, then embed it in the 1Up Arcade marquee.  Using a PC just have it set to dual monitor and then have it show what game marquee per what game you are playing.  Or if you have some spare cash get a pico projector and do  

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2019, 01:52:49 am »
@DaOld Man: arcades come and go, though likely there are more than in a while. Can depend on the demographic, as other ethnic groups tend toward an in-person experience.

@smass: I love when people include pictures of themselves in their ads. Only from lack of thought did I not think of someone upselling these. I'm curious to see the outcome.

Teach a fish how to play centipede and you got a really smart fish there.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2019, 02:11:01 am »

Teach a fish how to play centipede and you got a really smart fish there.

Get that fish a Centipede. Fishes love Centipede.
%Bartop

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #341 on: January 05, 2019, 09:14:05 am »
Not wanting to sound negative, minus one,  but what is that image of Pacman supposed to be?  Looks like some Barcade incarnation.

Its really simple.  Get a 15" widescreen monitor from the goodwill, give it a good wash and some old spice deodorant, then embed it in the 1Up Arcade marquee.  Using a PC just have it set to dual monitor and then have it show what game marquee per what game you are playing.  Or if you have some spare cash get a pico projector and do

Already mentioned :
1) Reuse laptop
2) Reuse a cheap tablet

I only paid $14 for the LCD panel. It has a much better aspect ratio than
any 15 inch monitor, higher resolution, and doesn't need to be gutted, because all the parts are bare already.
No point in messing with ripping out the guts of a monitor, and i don't want to be electrocuted either.

Anyway, thats the 25-1 level in one pac-man graphical hack playing on modded 1up board. We can load any
graphical ROM hack, or any of the 38 pac-man clones, such as the fast speed ROM, or the harder chip ROM, and
they work. You have to wrestle with the UART, linux, copying and combining ROMS to get it to work though.

Purely done just to say you can, not practical at all.

later
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:16:43 am by negative1 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2019, 01:22:26 pm »
That's a good find on those monitors if anybody actually bothered to look.  If the larger sizes were only a little bit cheaper I'd buy some for my full sized cabs. 

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2019, 02:13:43 am »
New titles:
1) Golden Tee
2) Final fight
3) Space Invaders
4) Mortal Kombat
5) Karate champ

later

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:56:20 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2019, 12:10:29 pm »
I sure hope Arcade1Up kissed the ring this time around or Wal-Mart can look forward to more angry emails.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2019, 12:16:55 pm »
they will also be releasing some 'wall-cade' units, that can be hung on walls,
and bartops.

they showed dig dug again next to ghosts n goblins:

pac-man

last year, there was dig dug (+2), joust and qbert.

no price points or titles for those either.

later
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:57:51 pm by negative1 »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2019, 02:55:04 pm »
Yeah and a Golden T, Asteroids Deluxe, with matching barstools.  Better controls, different emulator too.  I think the cocktails are decent.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: January 08, 2019, 03:54:13 pm »
Yeah and a Golden T, Asteroids Deluxe, with matching barstools.  Better controls, different emulator too.  I think the cocktails are decent.

the barstools do look nice:

later

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #348 on: January 08, 2019, 04:14:06 pm »
Barstools are 3/4 scale...
%Bartop

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: January 08, 2019, 04:16:47 pm »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #350 on: January 08, 2019, 04:17:56 pm »
Barstools are 3/4 scale...

My back hurts just looking at them.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: January 08, 2019, 04:38:34 pm »
If my kids are still interested in Mortal Kombat come next Christmas, that should make for a nice gift under the tree.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: January 08, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »
All 6 bartop cabinets:

galaga in a pac-man box:

Pac-Man and Pac & Pal

Centipede and Missile Command

Space Invaders Original and Space Invaders Color

Dig Dug and Dig Dug 2

Galaga and Galaxian

Ghost 'n Goblins and TBA

later

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:11:58 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #353 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:59 pm »
If I can hack that Pac-Man bartop to add more vertical 4 way games, it might be worth it.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: January 08, 2019, 09:57:53 pm »

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #355 on: January 09, 2019, 01:31:35 am »
I created a new thread to track Wave 2
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159252.0.html

ok, thanks, not sure people can take much more of these as it is though.

also, there is crossover between the titles, and merchandise, so it could be
a little confusing as to what goes where.

later

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #356 on: January 09, 2019, 01:53:34 am »

I dunno... I feel like I'm about 3 of your Wall o' Text posts away before I decide to pull the trigger...
%Bartop

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:34:00 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #357 on: January 09, 2019, 01:10:13 pm »

Ok, that "cocktail" is just minuscule.  Gonna need a riser for that one too?  :dizzy:

pumpkinpie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2023, 02:58:17 pm
« Reply #358 on: January 09, 2019, 01:10:28 pm »
I am looking to add a trackball and a joystick to the asteroids cabinet - no problem adding the joystick to the left side of the buttons but there isn't much room for a trackball, a full size one at least.

The Kensington trackball mice look interesting to me and would be the right size (a little small maybe) to fit onto the control panel - any opinions on trying this set up ?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #359 on: January 09, 2019, 01:59:14 pm »
Well you shills seem to love it, so why not, lets keep rolling with these threads.  I'd be happy to continue inserting "my side of the coin" here.

Trash product wave 2 in full effect.  Man you guys are suckers.  :lol