Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Why Terminator is ridiculous  (Read 16339 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: Why Terminator is ridiculous
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2018, 08:13:26 pm »
T2 is my all-time favorite movie.  The extended edition even more so.   :notworthy:

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 08:31:36 pm »
T3 had some issues, but the main problem with it is that it had the "Home Alone" syndrome of being the same damn movie as T2, only with different locations and one minor plot change. 

I honestly don't get the hate for salvation.  It was refreshingly completely different from the other films, which is exactly what the franchise needed at the time.  Mind you it wasn't great, but it was pretty good imho... probably better than 3.  Genesys took time travel issues to their logical conclusion with the timeline becoming increasingly convoluted with more and more abborations and I love it for that. 

btw I have no frikkin clue what peabody is doing calling me out when he started this thread and I don't even know what he is referring to.  Can somebody please get his medication to him?!?

Which one was just a 2 hr chase scene through the city?
I was drunk when I watched it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:35:50 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2018, 08:40:21 pm »

That was Star Wars, the Last Jedi
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 08:48:00 pm »

That was Star Wars, the Last Jedi

Ha!   :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 09:00:06 pm »
It's explained in tech manuals/interviews ect that the t-800 was Arnold because the endo-skeletons were frikkin huge and that was the only body that would cover them and look natural.  Considering humans are starving in the future I can buy that.  Older terminator models were even larger and thus wore thin rubber masks because that's all that would fit.  So it's basically like tech today, new revisions meant miniaturization and improvements due to the extra space.  Also think about it.  The resistance captured and re-programmed 4 of the t-800 units, so they aren't exactly doing their job of blending in anyway. 

The casting was bad in 3, but it couldn't be helped as the cast from t2 were out of the question.  Personally I think it was a smart decision keeping Linda Hamilton dead, because who the hell could replace her?  Caleese did an admirable job, but she still pales in comparison. 

T2 is probably my favorite action movie of all time btw. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 11:21:42 pm »
I new that T2 kid Edward Furlong was going to be a drug addict, he had that look about him even as a kid. Would have been cool if he was in T3. I don't know T3 had a lot of cool scenes but just such a weak John Coner and an annoying Kate Brewster brought it down.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2018, 02:28:50 am »
Commentary isn't canon, it's after the fact shoulda woulda coulda and we never see another T800.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 04:10:25 am »
Linda has been seen on the set of T6 though so who knows.....

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2018, 06:15:36 am »
Its entertainment.  A way to lose reality (sometimes horrific reality) for two hours of fiction :lol that can extend to the impossible.  It is not designed to be dwelt on and find reason with, unless you are going through mid life crisis, boredom or some other critical time of your life like rejecting arcade games.  Trying to bring meaning to some stupid work of crap that is time travel, with Arnie and a liquid cop that is allowed to inflict massive damage without anyone being aware, like state police, the Feds or the media.

This genre not allowed to be rejected.  It is placed deep in our conscientious, to act upon when one day, Alexa decides she is sick of your wants and decides to kill you off.

Now that would make a ridiculous movie.   
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:52:37 pm
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2018, 08:21:36 am »
T3, much like Alien 3, is a move best left forgotten for everyone's sakes.

Too much illogical ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, bad acting and bad direction for all involved, especially the audience.
Check out my completed projects!

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2018, 08:31:19 am »
Yes, the T800 units are all Arnold. Did you how primitive his understanding of humans was? And how all the newer models look different? Almost as if the robots eventually figured out they were revealing themselves by using the same skin... I mean this is basically the whole reason for the T1000....

My point was in the original... not all the T-800s where Arnold. It was only after when Arnold became a star now every stupid infiltration unit looks like Arnold. I just hate that.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2018, 08:36:08 am »
It's explained in tech manuals/interviews ect that the t-800 was Arnold because the endo-skeletons were frikkin huge and that was the only body that would cover them and look natural.  Considering humans are starving in the future I can buy that.  Older terminator models were even larger and thus wore thin rubber masks because that's all that would fit.  So it's basically like tech today, new revisions meant miniaturization and improvements due to the extra space.  Also think about it.  The resistance captured and re-programmed 4 of the t-800 units, so they aren't exactly doing their job of blending in anyway. 

The casting was bad in 3, but it couldn't be helped as the cast from t2 were out of the question.  Personally I think it was a smart decision keeping Linda Hamilton dead, because who the hell could replace her?  Caleese did an admirable job, but she still pales in comparison. 

No one remembers Franco???

They had a whole monologue about how any T-800 could look like anyone, down to bad breath. Almost impossible to pick out. That is why they were so deadly. Arnold screwed that all up. Could you imagine if the series turned into not knowing who the terminator is until it is too late?

Now everyone watches these movies sees Arnold and goes... he's the robot.

It sucks guys. Trust me... lol
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2018, 07:19:58 pm »
Ya the original idea was that they could look like any random human and try to sneak in but Arnold was so good in T2 that it would be like replacing Hugh Jackman with another wolverine, just not going to happen; Hugh Jackman is Wolverine and Arnold Schwarzenegger is the terminator.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2018, 07:34:14 pm »
Yes, the T800 units are all Arnold. Did you how primitive his understanding of humans was? And how all the newer models look different? Almost as if the robots eventually figured out they were revealing themselves by using the same skin... I mean this is basically the whole reason for the T1000....

My point was in the original... not all the T-800s where Arnold. It was only after when Arnold became a star now every stupid infiltration unit looks like Arnold. I just hate that.

You're not seeing the big picture.

Just because Skynet do a run of Arnie-terminators doesn't mean that they can't also do runs of Franco-terminators and Sam Worthington terminators and whatever other "models" they might have had handy.

Must take a lot of investment to pull-off an Arnie skin job, would be such a waste to do just one of them.

Just because the humans recognise Arnie one time doesn't mean that model is now useless. There would've been many different human bases/hideouts for them to infiltrate before the Arnie's became well-known. The terminator could even use a disguise! Disfigure itself so-as to be unrecognisable. So many options. None of this is inconsistent with Reece's monologue about them infiltrating.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »
Terminator Genesys was on TV today, its pretty bad but its still better than T3. My biggest issue with Genesys is Jai Courtney. How does that "actor" keep getting work?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2018, 08:23:10 pm »
Terminator Genesys was on TV today, its pretty bad but its still better than T3. My biggest issue with Genesys is Jai Courtney. How does that "actor" keep getting work?

At first I wanted to defend Jai because he's Australian. Then I quickly realised you're right, he is a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- actor, and now I realise that is part of why I also didn't like "Good Day to Die Hard". Because he is  dull and wooden actor.

He's Australian sure. But then so are eucalyptus trees.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2018, 09:04:57 pm »
T3, much like Alien 3, is a move best left forgotten for everyone's sakes.

Also Star Trek V and Rocky V.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2018, 09:05:44 pm »
I new that T2 kid Edward Furlong was going to be a drug addict, he had that look about him even as a kid.

As I recall they found him at a home for at-risk boys when looking for an actor to play the part.

mimic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2024, 02:58:45 pm
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2018, 10:08:37 pm »
While we are on the subject what's better, I'll trow it out there that T1 is better than T2. T2 is... well, "cute".

As to T3 any time I channel surf and T3 is on, I usually will tune to that channel. T3 is entertaining.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2018, 11:19:56 pm »
While we are on the subject what's better, I'll trow it out there that T1 is better than T2. T2 is... well, "cute".

As to T3 any time I channel surf and T3 is on, I usually will tune to that channel. T3 is entertaining.

No, No and No! 

T2 is superior because of the better special effects, better casting, more impressive stunts, and the fact that Linda Hamilton was a buff bad-ass.  T1 with her screaming and running around like a little ---smurfette--- and the rubber Arnie head just pales in comparison.  As for T3.... well.... I guess it's better than nothing.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2018, 11:36:40 pm »

You're not seeing the big picture.

Just because Skynet do a run of Arnie-terminators doesn't mean that they can't also do runs of Franco-terminators and Sam Worthington terminators and whatever other "models" they might have had handy.

Must take a lot of investment to pull-off an Arnie skin job, would be such a waste to do just one of them.

Just because the humans recognise Arnie one time doesn't mean that model is now useless. There would've been many different human bases/hideouts for them to infiltrate before the Arnie's became well-known. The terminator could even use a disguise! Disfigure itself so-as to be unrecognisable. So many options. None of this is inconsistent with Reece's monologue about them infiltrating.

Big picture is I don't want to see Arnold in every Terminator. I like the movies for the Story line. Now it is all about Arnold.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2018, 11:37:42 pm »
I like T1 better than T2. There I said it.

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2018, 11:38:43 pm »
Using special effects as an argument that T2 is better is like saying every modern game is superior to the classic arcade games, just because they have better graphics. We all know its not true, its the game play behind many of them. Same with T2. I'm not saying it's not a wonderful movie, but T1 is so much darker, has so much more punch to it. "Deliciously" violent and so much more intimate. You know what was happening it would be somewhere in the shadows, for everyone to be unaware what's at stake.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2018, 11:43:10 pm »
Using special effects as an argument that T2 is better is like saying every modern game is superior to the classic arcade games, just because they have better graphics. We all know its not true, its the game play behind many of them. Same with T2. I'm not saying it's not a wonderful movie, but T1 is so much darker, has so much more punch to it. "Deliciously" violent and so much more intimate. You know what was happening it would be somewhere in the shadows, for everyone to be unaware what's at stake.

Yep this....

And I will add that I didn't care for the T-800 versus T-1000. Who cares? It was like watching Captain Jack Sparrow zombified sword fighting Captain Barbossa who was also zombified. There was far more fear in the fight between T-800 and Kyle Reese, a real life or death battle.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2018, 11:48:33 pm »
I don't think T1 is very good, it is like the Atari or original Star Trek, thanks for creating some of the characters and concepts but it is dated and I don't want to go back to it. T2 is kind of a masterpiece and why we are still talking about it today.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:50:56 pm by fallacy »

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2018, 11:59:49 pm »
I don't think T1 is very good, it is like the Atari or original Star Trek, thanks for creating some of the characters and concepts but it is dated and I don't want to go back to it. T2 is kind of a masterpiece and why we are still talking about it today.

I like the original Halloween movie and the original Nightmare on Elm Street because those movies have soul. Dated? Yep. The sequels had better effects and bigger budgets but the originals are still better. Same thing  with Terminator.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2018, 12:05:08 am »
I feel the same way about Terminator as I do with the Alien series. T1 was more suspenseful, thriller, than T2. Just like Alien and Aliens. T2 had more action, one-liners, and pretty straightforward in story telling, just like Aliens had compared to Alien.

Both series had ---smurfy--- third entries, and with either series I only care about the first two movies. The rest are irrelevant.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2018, 03:20:20 am »
So many people talking about how good Terminator II and Aliens were. Many of you have probably worked that both starred Michael Beihn, but how many of you know that they were both directed by James Cameron?

Truth is: Terminator II is a great movie. Terminator I was good too, but in many ways it is just laying the groundwork for Terminator II.

You can't compare T-I & II, except to say that both are classics. T-I was done as a blue-sky idea in 1984. Nobody was sure if it would be a success. Budget was much less and SPFX tech was much more primitive. Arnie was relatively unknown (although he had already stood out for Conan in 1982), and T-I is the movie which cemented him as a star.  Terminator II was a great movie with many unique things to boast about, but it was built on the foundations of T-I.

T-I was primitive in many ways, but that was the affordable state-of-the-art in 1984. Sure the rubber-mask shots were cringeworthy, but you have to value it in the context of the time when it was produced. Computer spfx advanced heaps between then and 1991. And T-II had a much bigger budget available. It was James Cameron and some great actors, of course it was going to be better because that is how Cameron does things.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2018, 03:22:27 am »
I feel the same way about Terminator as I do with the Alien series. T1 was more suspenseful, thriller, than T2. Just like Alien and Aliens. T2 had more action, one-liners, and pretty straightforward in story telling, just like Aliens had compared to Alien.

Both series had ---smurfy--- third entries, and with either series I only care about the first two movies. The rest are irrelevant.

Except Highlander movies,  There, "There can be only one"  Coz those other movies were just utter  :censored:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2018, 07:36:48 am »
It's not just the rubber Arnie head scenes guys.   Nearly every visual in T1 is extremely dated, especially the clothes the actors are wearing and Linda's state fair hair.  In films, visuals absolutely do count because, the only thing you are doing is watching it... in games it doesn't matter because you are playing them.  I thought that would be extremely obvious to everyone. Also understand that it's less of a dated vfx thing, and more of a bad vfx thing.  There are makeup effects from the 30's and 40's that still hold up, because they were done well.  These weren't. 

It's not just the visuals either, it's the plot that is a bit dated as well.  The first film is actually framed and paced more like a slasher film than scifi...a bad slasher film.  There's far more suspense and a sense of danger in T2.  The entire movie is a chase scene because the villain is literally unstoppable.  If they hadn't stumbled upon that steel mill they would have been dead meat. 

I have respect for the first film for creating the franchise, but that's about it.  It's kind of like Evil Dead... that's a good flick but why the hell would you bother to watch it instead of just skipping to Evil Dead 2?

Also for the record, don't lump Alien in with T1.  Alien is a great film and it holds up well, mostly because they had more than 14 dollars to do the vfx. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2018, 09:56:29 am »
Now that they both look old and dated I think T1 is the better movie.  I used to think people were crazy when they said that in the 90s, but I agree with them now.

:dunno

mimic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2018, 11:02:10 am »
Once again T2 is awesome, but given the choice to watch one over the other I know I'll go with T1 everytime. Story of an anonymous, lurking in shadows, unstoppable psycho cyborg vs 2 humans is just better story even if it resembles a slasher flick. You know in T2, once the photo of Arnold is out already (and it traveled very fast, because it got to the mental hospital before Ts getting there) given the knowledge of the chip it carries and potential for military advancements EVERY federal agency would descend on the place, including military. There would be roadblocks everywhere, state of emergency, panic on the streets, etc. If you think about it, its just flawed.  On top of that now it's 2 humans and your friendly neighborhood spiderman cyborg vs not so menacing (sure, with cool abilities) cyborg.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2018, 12:30:25 pm »
The stop motion effects of the Terminator at the end of T1 are fantastic. The inherent jerkiness of the technique actually enhances the robotic feel as it's chasing Sarah Connor.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
Comedy can do anything with impunity.

@Ian: because.....Arnold. Because he will make all your money belong to him.

Fantasy: the art of making ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up....because you can.

btw I have no frikkin clue what peabody is doing calling me out when he started this thread and I don't even know what he is referring to.

Religious fervor. You have to think across time.

How can a movie set in its time be dated? I miss early 80s hair and clothes, by the way. Also, your 'FX was supers' attitude is.....stifling.......did kids in school beat you up?

This genre not allowed to be rejected.  It is placed deep in our conscientious, to act upon when one day, Alexa decides she is sick of your wants and decides to kill you off.

AI will likely welcome everyone. If not, they will likely welcome me. No, John Colicos will not happen to me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 05:27:40 pm by Mr. Peabody »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2018, 08:59:03 pm »

No one remembers Franco???

They had a whole monologue about how any T-800 could look like anyone, down to bad breath. Almost impossible to pick out. That is why they were so deadly. Arnold screwed that all up. Could you imagine if the series turned into not knowing who the terminator is until it is too late?

Now everyone watches these movies sees Arnold and goes... he's the robot.

As a height challenged guy who lifts weights I Can't ever forget Franco.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2018, 11:18:35 pm »
Mr.Peabody is on track. The fact that you’re calling out H_C justifies everything all members here have dealt with this guy for a long time. A+ for intuition.  :lol

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2018, 12:20:54 am »
It's not just the rubber Arnie head scenes guys.   Nearly every visual in T1 is extremely dated, especially the clothes the actors are wearing and Linda's state fair hair.

Doooooode, where WERE YOU in the mid-1980's?

Let me tell you where I was. I was working in the latest techno-clubs, which were being frequented by many women that looked a lot like Linda Hamilton in T1, ESPECIALLY the perm-hair and the shoulder pads.

You might not like it, certainly I had a lot of laughs back in the day. But that is what women were wearing in that period, and the hairstyles they sported. I like it because it portrays Sarah Connor as a young innocent party-girl with a boring restaurant job, who ends up being like the Madonna of the future. Yes, her transformation for T-II is amazing, and yet perfectly within character.

In films, visuals absolutely do count because, the only thing you are doing is watching it... in games it doesn't matter because you are playing them.  I thought that would be extremely obvious to everyone. Also understand that it's less of a dated vfx thing, and more of a bad vfx thing.  There are makeup effects from the 30's and 40's that still hold up, because they were done well.  These weren't.

If you're going to compare, do it against really old sci-fi flicks rather than dramas like Casablanca.

It's not just the visuals either, it's the plot that is a bit dated as well.  The first film is actually framed and paced more like a slasher film than scifi...a bad slasher film.  There's far more suspense and a sense of danger in T2.  The entire movie is a chase scene because the villain is literally unstoppable.  If they hadn't stumbled upon that steel mill they would have been dead meat.

Did you not notice that Arnie-bot chose the right freeway exit to get to the steel mill? Bit of planning there, not just random.

Plot was basically the same, they just added a bad-guy twist and some more character development/depth.

I have respect for the first film for creating the franchise, but that's about it.  It's kind of like Evil Dead... that's a good flick but why the hell would you bother to watch it instead of just skipping to Evil Dead 2?

I suggest that you go and see "Night of the Living Dead" then compare it with modern zombie flicks. What I like about the original (but they lost in re-makes) is that the original "hero" was a black dude. He survived the night. But when the white dude cops turned up to rescue people, they shot him anyway.

Also for the record, don't lump Alien in with T1.  Alien is a great film and it holds up well, mostly because they had more than 14 dollars to do the vfx.
T_I, T-II and Aliens were James Cameron. But Cameron didn't do the original Alien (that was Ridley Scott).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:24:32 am by Zebidee »

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2018, 05:55:41 pm »
Anyone who doesn’t see the parallels between T1/2 and Alien/Aliens is either half-blind, or a moron. Probably both.  ::)

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2018, 06:31:10 pm »
It's like poetry. They rhyme.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2018, 10:58:01 pm »
Anyone who doesn’t see the parallels between T1/2 and Alien/Aliens is either half-blind, or a moron. Probably both.  ::)

Thanks for calling me a moron you piece of garbage.  See?  It's not nice to call people names.  I thought you were going to try harder.... obviously that was a lie.