Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Issue with borders on some random games  (Read 1345 times)

gozaimas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2021, 02:30:41 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Issue with borders on some random games
« on: November 28, 2018, 05:15:54 am »
Long-time lurker here. I'm using the latest version of Groovymame and CRT Emudriver on my arcade machine (TATE/ Vertical set-up). Everything is working perfectly and I am extremely happy with the set-up. Thanks for everyone's hard work.

I have one small issue, however, in that some games have a small border either side of the screen, so appear slightly smaller than they should. It seems to be random which games are affected (although, for example, all Psikyo games do it). In one case, I own the original board, so know that the game should not be letterboxed in this way.

I have tried changing the 'cropped' option to 'full' in Mame's video settings but this does nothing, and I cannot 'stretch' the screen (changing the horizontal or vert values does nothing at all).

Does anyone know where I might be going wrong here? Not sure if it's an issue with my Groovymame set-up, or CRT Emudriver, but as I say, it only affects some games. The ones that appear correctly are perfectly positioned. Am very much hoping it's something I can just fix in the mame.ini!

Any help very gratefully received.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Issue with borders on some random games
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 11:21:22 am »
Hi gozaimas,

Because your setup is TATE, I understand when you say borders on either side you mean the usual top/bottom borders of a horizontal setup. Those can't be fixed by any software. They're natural to how CRTs work. You need to use the V-size potentiometer in the monitor's chassis to adjust that.

That said, I seriously doubt that connecting the PCB *with your current monitor adjustment* would be any different to GM with regards to borders. E.g. 224p will have borders in either case.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:09:32 pm »
I have to resize the image on my arcade monitor every time I switch games in mame. It's normal. Arcade games came in a bunch of obscure resolutions. It wasn't an issue back then as each cab only had to be adjusted for one game.

This is one of the (many) reasons I like using a real arcade monitor with a remote board to keep the vsize and hsize pots handy.

gozaimas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2021, 02:30:41 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:20:41 am »
Ah, that makes sense. I naively thought that, once you had the v and hsize all set-up for mame, it'd be standard for all games. Thanks for clearing up.

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 08:49:57 am »
Using super resolutions you should only need to adjust vertical size, horizontal is taken care of by fractional scaling