Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wall Cabinet Critique  (Read 20688 times)

markc74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:38:06 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
Re: Wall Cabinet Critique
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 01:11:23 pm »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 04:06:40 pm »
he coming back or did we successfully run another new member off?

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2018, 04:25:28 pm »
if you can get past the tone/netspeak of some members,
The guy was criticised on his relationship with his wife. That's not "tone", that's substance. Why use a misleading euphemism? I thought we all tell it like it is.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2018, 04:40:02 pm »
if you can get past the tone/netspeak of some members,
The guy was criticised on his relationship with his wife. That's not "tone", that's substance. Why use a misleading euphemism? I thought we all tell it like it is.

I know you weren't talking to me, but in the interest of keeping the peace, I think OND was attempting damage control. Things were said that could have entirely different meanings depending on tone.

While I think it's unfortunate that things went the way they did in this thread, I see no reason for any pre-existing feud you may have with OND to re-ignite this hot topic.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:28:54 pm
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »
I have no feud with anyone on BYOAC.  My use of the word "tone" is no misleading euphemism.  It means what it means.  I'm interested solely in the design of the OP.  It's a pretty plain one, not much to it IMO.  It could be improved; it could hang on a wall or not.  I'm genuinely interested in the design requirements whomever the stakeholders may be.  SAF (spousal approval factor) is a part of the hobby but let’s not get side-tracked.  I can take a sketch-up file and work with the OP's requirements and produce a life like render.  Concept renders like that have proved useful to me over the years and to others.  It wouldn't take me too long, but there's not much point if the OP isn't going to use my help.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »
Jesus, that was a fun read..... I never saw a thread take that fast of a turn. Sorry OP!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:41:55 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2018, 09:49:47 am »
I took too long grabbing the popcorn. Maybe next time.

I agree with Ond's observation that the design looks a little "plain." I understand it's just a sketch, but I'd be interested to see some of the details fleshed out. Maybe multiple views/angles for a better sense of stuff.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2018, 10:18:48 am »
Jesus, that was a fun read..... I never saw a thread take that fast of a turn. Sorry OP!

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
Oh, it's happened before. Several times we've seen new people getting run off and the old guard blaming them for not being able to take some hazing.

Probably the reason it escalated so quickly is because this is an ongoing debate. I'm sure it'll happen again.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Wall Cabinet Critique
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2018, 12:26:49 pm »
Nobody runs people off simply because they’re new. And the way the guy phrased his request for feedback in his initial post, I figured he knew what he was getting into by asking for it.

I mean, it is what it is. Do some new people get scared off from time to time? Yes. But It’s usually because of a concept or idea, not simply because they’re new. And quite frankly, before I started posting here, I looked for quite a while and learn to read the tone and mood of this place. If someone like Goz or HaRuMaN or Cheffo even Leapinlew gave me bit of crap, I knew where his heart was coming from. I knew not to take it personally. This was their locker room/sandbox, and I was coming in to play.

So I hope the OP is still at least lurking and realizing that no one is really giving him genuine crap over the wife comments and that many of us, myself included, are cognizant of their spouses feelings when it comes to the hobby. Honestly, if I posted a comment and someone gives me crap, I just give it back (looking at you Jimbo). And then move on. It’s just banter. Quite frankly, the banter is why I still enjoy coming to this place, considering I haven’t built anything MAME-related in years.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:28:23 pm by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
I figured he knew what he was getting into by asking for it.
Of course! When he said "Please don't hold back with the feedback, positive or negative as this is my first cabinet design", he was clearly asking for feedback about his relationship with his wife. There is no trolling of noobs which you won't defend.

I mean, it is what it is. Do some new people get scared off from time to time? Yes. But It’s usually because of a concept or idea, not simply because they’re new. And quite frankly, before I started posting here, I looked for quite a while and learn to read the tone and mood of this place. If someone like Goz or HaRuMaN or Cheffo even Leapinlew gave me bit of crap, I knew where his heart was coming from. I knew not to take it personally. This was their locker room/sandbox, and I was coming in to play.
There's no denying you paid your dues. That's how you got where you are. Just keep in mind that healthy personalities aren't going to tolerate your (plural) dominance games. Likely, noobs abandon this site more because they know toxicity when they see it, rather than because of insufficiently thick skin.

if I posted a comment and someone gives me crap, I just give it back (looking at you Jimbo). And then move on. It’s just banter. Quite frankly, the banter is why I still enjoy coming to this place, considering I haven’t built anything MAME-related in years.
Ha! And again: Ha! Anybody who gives it back it back is accused of not being able to take it themselves. You're only allowed to give it back after you've demonstrated your willingness to submit to the cool kids' ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. And "moving on?". You're joking. Check out your posting history, and that of your minions. Grudges and dog-piles galore.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:22:08 am by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 02:23:15 pm »
I figured he knew what he was getting into by asking for it.
Of course! When he said "Please don't hold back with the feedback, positive or negative as this is my first cabinet design", he was clearly asking for feedback about his relationship with his wife.

There's no denying you paid your dues. That's how you got where you are. But keep in mind that your dominance games don't appeal to everybody. Some might even find them sickening.

if I posted a comment and someone gives me crap, I just give it back (looking at you Jimbo). And then move on. It’s just banter. Quite frankly, the banter is why I still enjoy coming to this place, considering I haven’t built anything MAME-related in years.
Ha! And again: Ha! Anybody who gives it back it back is accused of not being able to take it themselves. You're only allowed to give it back after you've demonstrated your willingness to submit to the cool kids' ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. And "moving on?". You're joking. Check out your posting history, and that of your minions. Grudges galore.

Minions? LOL.

I’m sorry someone picked on you in grade school, Lucas, and you’ve made it your mission to best shadow bullies and big fat meanies everywhere. Keep ragin’ against the machine, you’ll make a difference one day.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:13:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:07 pm »
I mean, it is what it is. Do some new people get scared off from time to time? Yes. But It’s usually because of a concept or idea, not simply because they’re new.

Sometimes it's because that concept or idea, while perfectly sound, does not meet the approval of a few core members.

When I first joined, I got absolutely lambasted for not wanting to buy a particular piece of gear that I didn't need.
The piece of gear did not even address the question that I had originally asked.

I don't want to bring up the name of main offender, but most can probably guess who it was. Seems he makes a habit of it, so much so in fact that there is an associated catch phrase.

Anyway, I realize that keyboard warriors are often compensating for real life inadequacies, but I could see how such behavior might scare away someone who just came here to learn about this hobby.

You yourself were part of it. When I hit back just as hard (and then some) you implied that if I was not willing to tolerate his attempt to bully me that I would not be welcome on the forum.

We have since exchanged pleasantries elsewhere on the forum, and you seem like a decent guy with excellent knowledge of the hobby and a good sense of humor.

I do however think that if you leapt to anyone's defense on that occasion, it should have been the new guy, not the guy who is routinely an ---uvula--- to new members.

To the OP, if you're still here...

I totally get that you want to be considerate to your wife.
What we see as a really cool arcade machine, some wives may see as an ugly monstrosity.

My wife was not too thrilled with the idea to begin with (full-size upright that lives in the living room) but once she discovered Metal Slug and Ghosts 'n Goblins, she actually uses it more than I do now.

If that's not on the cards, then I think your wall mounted cab is a good compromise.

I do think the idea of a pedestal is a good one though.

Alternatively, why don't you try a bar stick as your first project?
It's a control panel containing a computer that you hook up to your TV and use like a pedestal, but can easily be put away when you're not using it.

If you do decide to build a cab afterwards, a bar stick is still awesome to have because it's portable enough to take to parties etc.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »
Yes.

Turns out the answer to my question was ~500 tokens, and I am indeed still using them.

I also didn't need those mechs everyone was insisting I buy.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2018, 11:28:57 pm »
Yes.

Turns out the answer to my question was ~500 tokens, and I am indeed still using them.

I print my own now. Man how time has passed.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2018, 11:32:49 pm »
Yes.

Just out of curiosity, did you get to keep to your $250 budget?
If so, I’d be interested in a cost breakdown to see where the bulk of the cost is at with a small budget build.
Feel free to post it here. Doesn’t look like this thread is going anywhere good anyway. ;)

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2018, 11:47:27 pm »
Yes.

I hope you mean that you print coin mechs, not tokens.

Counterfeit tokens are ruining the economy.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:22 pm »
Yes.

I hope you mean that you print coin mechs, not tokens.

Counterfeit tokens are ruining the economy.

Mechs. I have more tokens than I know what to do with.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:52 am »
As someone with fewer tokens than I know what to do with, can I ask where you get them from?

The ones I have are crappy pachislo tokens. I can't justify paying eBay prices for nicer ones because the ones I have work just fine, but I would like to get some proper arcade tokens 'some day'.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:38 am »
As someone with fewer tokens than I know what to do with, can I ask where you get them from?

The ones I have are crappy pachislo tokens. I can't justify paying eBay prices for nicer ones because the ones I have work just fine, but I would like to get some proper arcade tokens 'some day'.

I’ve been lucky enough to get them in lots when they become available. A combo of eBay, people selling here and on KLOV, and being in the right place at the right time. The key was just to keep an eye out and not be in a rush.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:13 am »
Yes.

Just out of curiosity, did you get to keep to your $250 budget?
If so, I’d be interested in a cost breakdown to see where the bulk of the cost is at with a small budget build.
Feel free to post it here. Doesn’t look like this thread is going anywhere good anyway. ;)

Yes I did, except I bought new controls that i didn't have to buy.

I had some left over from a bartop that I dismantled, but I wanted different colors. Had I used the ones I already had, I would have been within my budget.

I can't remember the exact breakdown, but since I already had a PC, a monitor and encoders, all I really needed to buy was the wood, some. T-molding, paint, a few sundries such as aluminum angle, screws etc, some plexi and a coin door.

I already had most of the tools needed, but I did have to buy a slot cutter for my router for the T-molding.

I used the Moon Patrol cabinet as the basis of my design, but slimmed it down by about 5", which enabled me to get both sides out of one piece of wood, and saved about $60 I think.

I chose a black and white color scheme, so I didn't need to buy any artwork.

I actually came in at under $200, but I have yet to buy glass/plexi for in front of the monitor.
I'm suffering from analysis paralysis, and I can't decide whether to use glass or plexi, what level of tint etc.

In a nutshell, I deliberately chose a simple design so that I could stay within my budget without having to cut corners.

Edit:
Here's a link to my build thread. Probably should update it. It's finished apart from monitor glass:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150023.msg1566938.html#msg1566938
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:17:38 am by Jamesbeat »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:26 am »
I just saw an ebay auction for 5 pounds of tokens for about 26 dollars. That included shipping. They looked to be in good shape. Is that within your budget. I could post the link if you like.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:57 am »

I’ve been lucky enough to get them in lots when they become available. A combo of eBay, people selling here and on KLOV, and being in the right place at the right time. The key was just to keep an eye out and not be in a rush.

Yeah, I'll keep my eye out.
I used to have thousands of the things back when I lived in the UK, but ~20lbs of tokens is not something you bring with you when moving house by plane.

I wonder if noice is still around? His website is still up, but it doesn't look like it's been updated since 2008.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:08 am »
I just saw an ebay auction for 5 pounds of tokens for about 26 dollars. That included shipping. They looked to be in good shape. Is that within your budget. I could post the link if you like.

Yes definitely, thanks!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2018, 08:38:26 am »
Awesome, thanks!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:59 am »

Yeah, I'll keep my eye out.
I used to have thousands of the things back when I lived in the UK, but ~20lbs of tokens is not something you bring with you when moving house by plane.

I wonder if noice is still around? His website is still up, but it doesn't look like it's been updated since 2008.

I think he sold his last batch of tokens recently. He’s going through some personal stuff, so I’d look for other sources. The deals Mike pointed out are a god start.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2018, 11:54:08 am »
Really? Do you have more information on that? Would be nice to print mech that work with the old currency coins I am going to use.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
Really? Do you have more information on that? Would be nice to print mech that work with the old currency coins I am going to use.

Not 3D printing, but if you already have coin mechs, take a look at this guide for modifying an existing mech to take different coins/tokens:

http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/11/arcade/tutorial-change-your-coin-door-to-accept-tokens/

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2018, 12:45:08 pm »
What about that dude that kept hiring 15 year old girls to help run his token business?  He still picking them up from school every day and wondering why they keep quitting when their parents find out?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2018, 02:36:09 pm »

Barry, do you have a 3D printer?

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »
What about that dude that kept hiring 15 year old girls to help run his token business?  He still picking them up from school every day and wondering why they keep quitting when their parents find out?

I think you might be talking about the Token Warehouse guy I mentioned above.

Are you perhaps thinking of this infamous thread on KLOV?:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=14577

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04:00 pm »
What the crap? I got to page 3 so far. Does it end with that creep in jail?

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2018, 03:16:52 pm »
What the crap? I got to page 3 so far. Does it end with that creep in jail?

I thought the same thing to begin with, but believe it or not, I ended up feeling quite sympathetic towards him in the end.

Keep reading, it's a long read, but it's quite a rollercoaster and it has a surprise ending.

Please don't cheat and skip to the end, you will spoil it for yourself.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2018, 04:52:34 pm »
He’s active on another forum I frequent. He’s pretty much ended up where you think he’d be.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2018, 05:37:57 pm »
That's a pity. He's a bit... odd, but his heart seemed to be in the right place.

I feel like I know him after reading all of that thread lol.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2018, 05:55:04 pm »
That's a pity. He's a bit... odd, but his heart seemed to be in the right place.

I feel like I know him after reading all of that thread lol.

He’s definitely an interesting character. I will say that there are a lot of people who are very disappointed with him.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:04 am »

Yes I do. A Creality Ender-3.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2018, 12:46:04 pm »

Yes I do. A Creality Ender-3.

Check this link out:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740435