Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wall Cabinet Critique  (Read 20689 times)

r1web

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 05:45:26 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wall Cabinet Critique
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:35:17 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could critique my attempt at a modern, unobtrusive wall cabinet design. I'm building primarily for myself kids, 6 and 8, and figured that a wall cabinet would give me a flexibility with setting the height and raising it as they grow. I originally considered making a polycade clone out of MDF but decided to sketch up a few other options. I currently like this one the best. The plan is to build the majority with MDF and finish with high-gloss white. The control panel will be oiled white oak to match some of our other home decor.

Please don't hold back with the feedback, positive or negative as this is my first cabinet design.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
Re: Wall Cabinet Critique
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 10:50:24 pm »
All arcades deserve a marquee!

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:58:27 pm »
All arcades deserve a marquee!

A fair comment. I'm open to adding a small marquee at the top ;)

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:20:49 pm »
Does anyone have any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of a wall mount versus a Vewlix clone?

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 12:04:27 am »
Your design isn’t bad, I just don’t know why anyone would want to stand that close to the wall.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:28:32 pm »
Why hang this on a wall?  You could just extend the base down to the floor and then if you ever wanted to move it you could do so easily without having to patch the wall.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:02:50 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »
Buy two step stools.
Build a regular cab.

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 04:46:44 pm »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Simply extending the cabinet is not feasible as it will be too tipsy as drawn. Having young kids (and many friends/family with young kids), I would end up fastening it to the wall to ensure it doesn't crush someone and I'd probably be better off with a more traditional cabinet. The cabinet will be in my basement and I don't foresee it moving in the room. I'm not strictly opposed to building a full-size vewlix or similar cabinet from MDF but when I looked at the amount of materials, it is clear it will be large and heavy, making it difficult to get into the basement without considerable assembly/disassembly.

My logic for considering a wall cabinet:
1) Allows me to easily adjust the height on the wall. I could even have two french cleats, one for adult-height the other for kid-height.
2) Minimize the amount of floor space occupied. Not a big issue, but I've drawn it so I can slide a pair of stools under the controls.
3) Minimize the amount of materials required. Less materials equals less time to build, less cost and less weight.

Can anyone explain why people prefer stand-alone cabinets as opposed to wall cabinets? I spent a fair bit of time in arcades during my youth and cannot really think of any practical issues with it. I get that I'll be standing/sitting near the wall, but the focus will be on the screen. I understand and appreciate the nostalgia argument, but I'm not trying to replicate the arcades of my youth. It would be impossible... and my wife would never let me.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 04:51:24 pm »
my wife would never let me.

Dude. You need to establish the correct pecking order.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:53:24 pm by Mike A »

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 02:52:10 am
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 04:57:22 pm »
I like wall mounts, myself, and I think that they do consume less interior room space than a slim cabinet - certainly less than a full depth cabinet does.  I don't see anything inherently wrong with the ergonomics or play position. 

My favorite implementation so far is 2084's designs, here.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 05:10:27 pm »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Simply extending the cabinet is not feasible as it will be too tipsy as drawn. Having young kids (and many friends/family with young kids), I would end up fastening it to the wall to ensure it doesn't crush someone and I'd probably be better off with a more traditional cabinet. The cabinet will be in my basement and I don't foresee it moving in the room. I'm not strictly opposed to building a full-size vewlix or similar cabinet from MDF but when I looked at the amount of materials, it is clear it will be large and heavy, making it difficult to get into the basement without considerable assembly/disassembly.

My logic for considering a wall cabinet:
1) Allows me to easily adjust the height on the wall. I could even have two french cleats, one for adult-height the other for kid-height.
2) Minimize the amount of floor space occupied. Not a big issue, but I've drawn it so I can slide a pair of stools under the controls.
3) Minimize the amount of materials required. Less materials equals less time to build, less cost and less weight.

Can anyone explain why people prefer stand-alone cabinets as opposed to wall cabinets? I spent a fair bit of time in arcades during my youth and cannot really think of any practical issues with it. I get that I'll be standing/sitting near the wall, but the focus will be on the screen. I understand and appreciate the nostalgia argument, but I'm not trying to replicate the arcades of my youth. It would be impossible... and my wife would never let me.

I'm more of a do what you want to do, kinda guy. I don't have an issue with the wall mount. I wouldn't do it because moving the machine around could be a challenge and I don't think you save a ton of space doing it.

Personally, I think a bartop on a glass front fridge is practical. So take this

and add this

Drinks and games. You win!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 05:12:28 pm »
This guy did it with a Arcade1up

It looks more incorporated with the sides down over the fridge.

Just some food for thought.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 05:30:06 pm »
If you are looking for specific critique for your proposed design, I am not sure what purpose the area below the control panel serves.  It feels kind of vestigial to me, like you could come straight back from the bottom of the oak to the wall, get a little more knee room, and it wouldn't be - in my opinion - an aesthetic loss.

If you need that internal volume for planned parts, or you like the way it looks this way, cool - this is just my opinion.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 05:41:53 pm »
1. Needs a marquee, as mentioned before.
2. Are you planning on adding t-molding. Arcade machines need t-molding, IMHO.
3. Yo dog, where the speakers at?  Are they going to be enclosed and muffled within the cabinet?  I'd recommend some speaker holes either in that large space under the CP, or perhaps in the sides. You're probably not going to be able to fit speakers above or within your CP.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:52:27 pm »
I just don’t get the feasibility of basically throwing a bartop on the wall. At that point, just hang a TV and go to the pedestal route. That will give you maximum flexibility over the years if that’s your main concern.

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2018, 06:54:05 pm »

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen these before.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2018, 07:07:07 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could critique my attempt at a modern, unobtrusive wall cabinet design. I'm building primarily for myself kids, 6 and 8, and figured that a wall cabinet would give me a flexibility with setting the height and raising it as they grow. I originally considered making a polycade clone out of MDF but decided to sketch up a few other options. I currently like this one the best. The plan is to build the majority with MDF and finish with high-gloss white. The control panel will be oiled white oak to match some of our other home decor.

Please don't hold back with the feedback, positive or negative as this is my first cabinet design.

It sounds like you are going for something modern-looking that will match your home.  This design seems to fit the bill.  Within those parameters I would not put a marquee on it and would go with white t-molding if at all.  I like the rounded corners but agree with Lathe the bottom seems a little large.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages of a wall mount versus a Vewlix clone?

The Vewlix is going to look more like an arcade game (I realize that is not your goal) and will be more flexible since you can move it.  Also I wonder if it would feel odd playing a game that close to the wall?  Dunno.  Just seems claustrophobic to me.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2018, 07:19:14 pm »
3. Yo dog, where the speakers at?  Are they going to be enclosed and muffled within the cabinet?  I'd recommend some speaker holes either in that large space under the CP, or perhaps in the sides. You're probably not going to be able to fit speakers above or within your CP.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:59 pm »

It sounds like you are going for something modern-looking that will match your home.  This design seems to fit the bill.  Within those parameters I would not put a marquee on it and would go with white t-molding if at all.  I like the rounded corners but agree with Lathe the bottom seems a little large.

The Vewlix is going to look more like an arcade game (I realize that is not your goal) and will be more flexible since you can move it.  Also I wonder if it would feel odd playing a game that close to the wall?  Dunno.  Just seems claustrophobic to me.

I agree, I really don’t have any problems with the design. It looks kind of futuristic so there’s that. But I’m with you, standing up against the wall just doesn’t seem to be that much fun, especially for that long a period of time.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Wall Cabinet Critique
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2018, 07:43:16 pm »
And while I can respect your idea of, “it will grow up the wall as the boys get older,” I think you’re overestimating how long they’re going to stay interested in that thing.

I’d recommend you build something that would better suit you and your buddies.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:48:47 pm by yotsuya »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 07:54:22 pm »

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen these before.

Personally, I like your design better than these. Yeah, I said it.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 10:03:13 pm »
First off who are you building this for, you need to establish that first or your wasting your time on design altogether.

You, your wife, you kids etc.  that all plays into the design.  Once you establish that then our critiques won't even matter.

I don't disagree with the design as in some cases simple is just better.

Marquee (overrated) especially for mame cab where you end up putting a stupid name on it that nobody likes.

Standing up playing against a wall IMHO is no different than standing in front of a real arcade, your standing regardless and playing a game, not sure who looks to the left and right of the machine during game play  :dunno

This biggest issue with these wall mounts is maintenance with a floor cab its literally turn it around or access via coin door, with a wall design you have to take it off the wall, make sure you dont rip power cord, lean it up against something then work on it.

Another issue is space, what you gonna use to run it, and i see no speaker placement.

I also dont foresee you yanking this thing down on different levels of cleats, that will get old really quick.   

All I can tell you is build it for the long run and not for the immediate need, at the end of the day it will probably be just you playing or it will sit and collect dust until you have company, and half the time they could care less to play they just want you to turn it on cause it looks cool.

I also agree in putting the cart before the horse, if your wife hasnt bought into it, you're going to put a piece of ikea on that wall. 

Your best bet may be to get a pandoras box and just pull that out when you feel like playing.

Oh and if you are building this for you we all know it wouldn't look like your first post not one bit, build it/design it for the person thats going to play it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:36:23 pm by rablack97 »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 10:21:01 pm »
You gotta give her the gator talk  :applaud:

http://youtu.be/dsnBl2Z_gyA?t=44

dont forget the "Ya feel me" that's the putting your foot down line.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:33:46 pm by rablack97 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 10:30:30 pm »
First off who are you building this for, you need to establish that first or your wasting your time on design altogether.

You, your wife, you kids etc.  that all plays into the design.  Once you establish that then our critiques won't even matter.

I don't disagree with the design as in some cases simple is just better.

Marquee (overrated) especially for mame cab where you end up putting a stupid name on it that nobody likes.

Standing up playing against a wall IMHO is no different than standing in front of a real arcade, your standing regardless and playing a game, not sure who looks to the left and right of the machine during game play  :dunno

This biggest issue with these wall mounts is maintenance with a floor cab its literally turn it around or access via coin door, with a wall design you have to take it off the wall, make sure you dont rip power cord, lean it up against something then work on it.

Another issue is space, what you gonna use to run it, and i see no speaker placement.

I also dont foresee you yanking this thing down on different levels of cleats, that will get old really quick.   

All I can tell you is build it for the long run and not for the immediate need, at the end of the day it will probably be just you playing or it will sit and collect dust until you have company, and half the time they could care less to play they just want you to turn it on cause it looks cool.

I also agree in putting the cart before the horse, if your wife hasnt bought into it, you're going to put a piece of ikea on that wall. 

Your best bet may be to get a pandoras box and just pull that out when you feel like playing.

Oh and if you are building this for you we all know if wouldn't look like your first post not one bit, build it/design it for the person thats going to play it.

***slow 80s clap.gif***

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 10:51:29 pm »
Posting this for cutty, cutty say he dont know the code.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 04:06:03 am »
Besides standing close to the wall, aren't you standing terribly close to the screen? Seems you are going to use a pretty big screen, aren't you? I guess that would feel like watching TV with your face just in front of the screen.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 08:45:07 am »
You seem set on the wall mount.  Personally, I think it will look cheesy.  I agree with an early poster that the way to go would be a pedestal with a flat screen mounted on the wall.  You can move the pedestal right up against the wall under the TV when not in use, and pull it back when you are using it to an appropriate viewing distance. 

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 02:21:09 pm »
Damn, i guess my speaker question struck a nerve or something. The silent treatment game is fierce.

Anyway, I also agree with what has been said about pedestals. I think you'd get the most versatility out of a pedestal, and you can still make it go with your wife's decor.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 03:30:04 pm »
Damn, i guess my speaker question struck a nerve or something. The silent treatment game is fierce.

Anyway, I also agree with what has been said about pedestals. I think you'd get the most versatility out of a pedestal, and you can still make it go with your wife's decor.

Nah he's been checking in and reading the critiques, probably in redesign mode.

+1 on a pedestal plus a hanging screen, if you do it right the pedestal can also be stored when not in use and and still be arcadish like you want it to be.

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2018, 04:05:58 pm »

Sorry, I read (and noted) a few comments about speakers. True, the speakers aren't shown, I envisioned them below the screen, similar to the polycade wall mount.

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 04:07:04 pm »

happy wife == happy life

Truthfully, I feel like I won the wife lottery.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 04:16:06 pm »
Needing permission for your expenditures sounds awesome. You are living the dream.

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 04:28:21 pm »
At that point, just hang a TV and go to the pedestal route. That will give you maximum flexibility over the years if that’s your main concern.

I hadn't considered the pedestal option. I'm considering it. Thanks.

I drew a 16:9, 27" screen in the original cabinet. I thought the viewing distance would be ok but perhaps I'm wrong there. My newphews put a hockey puck through my BIL's basement screen a few years ago so I was planning a piece of plexi in front.

Back to the plan. Sorry, this was never going to be a traditional arcade cabinet. With an HDMI splitter, it will run at least 1 modern console and retropie or a PC emulator for the games of my youth. The space at the bottom of the cabinet is drawn for a sub and the console(s). I don't like having the console connected to our main TV or the 4K projector in the basement.

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 04:28:57 pm »
Needing permission for your expenditures sounds awesome. You are living the dream.

Each to their own.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2018, 05:18:22 pm »
happy wife == happy life
Off-topic:  I never really liked this expression, as it implies that husband's happiness is irrelevant to a happy marriage.  A successful relationship shouldn't be one-sided.
Then the next saying usually revolves around "making compromises" for a functional relationship, which also doesn't really create a ecosystem of happiness in a marriage because it always implies giving something up, and it's usually the guy's task to having to change.

All this suggests that men somewhat second-class citizens when it comes to relationships. Like we are "lucky" to have a woman be with us. Which is ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. My wife is equally lucky to have me, as I am her. I don't need to ask permission to buy or build anything, and neither does she to me. We have an equal trust that each of us would make decisions that don't compromise the other's life,happiness or finances.

It's 2018 for christssake. Women empowerment and equality is being pushed hard in our society now. When it comes to relationships, equality should also be regarded both ways.  This stance of men being underachievers in relationships needs to stop.  Same thing with men not being nurturing, responsible parents, as much as women are.

/rant

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2018, 05:32:49 pm »
My wife hates the "happy wife" expression as well.  That being said I think people way over react when a guy says he needs his "wife's permission".  I assume most couples discuss major purchases or at least major (in size) items that will go in a house.  My wife is extremely supportive of my hobby.  She even has her own machine in our family room.  But I wouldn't presume to bring home a pinball machine without discussing it with her first any more than she would go purchase a new fridge without me.

happy wife == happy life
Off-topic:  I never really liked this expression, as it implies that husband's happiness is irrelevant to a happy marriage.  A successful relationship shouldn't be one-sided.
Then the next saying usually revolves around "making compromises" for a functional relationship, which also doesn't really create a ecosystem of happiness in a marriage because it always implies giving something up, and it's usually the guy's task to having to change.

All this suggests that men somewhat second-class citizens when it comes to relationships. Like we are "lucky" to have a woman be with us. Which is ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. My wife is equally lucky to have me, as I am her. I don't need to ask permission to buy or build anything, and neither does she to me. We have an equal trust that each of us would make decisions that don't compromise the other's life,happiness or finances.

It's 2018 for christssake. Women empowerment and equality is being pushed hard in our society now. When it comes to relationships, equality should also be regarded both ways.  This stance of men being underachievers in relationships needs to stop.  Same thing with men not being nurturing, responsible parents, as much as women are.

/rant

r1web

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2018, 05:40:40 pm »
Thanks to those that gave me some constructive input but I think I'm done with this. Too much drama.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2018, 05:41:32 pm »
Yeah but this isn't in that same category of a fridge or a pinball....That's 3k -6k easy.

This is something that he trully wants to build but it's being hindered by the thought of making the Mrs. unhappy.

I love my wife to death, but we both work, and take care of each other.  Building something vs going out and buying a Ferrari is 2 different things, and yeah my wife owns 85% of the house with decor, so my machines that inhabit the other 15% of the house shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I get some wives just arent into doing this, but at the same time they should support their husbands w/o making them feel like ass for doing something they love.

You seem to have a classy design in your head, just make it yours.  It's downstairs in a basement not in the front hallway.

Anywho, i'm still not seeing how your gonna put, a pi, a console, speakers all in that setup, not to mention is this a 1p setup?  2player your gonna be elbowing one another.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2018, 05:44:43 pm »
At the end of the day man.......

Trust me this isn't drama, its the criticism you asked for bro, negative or positive.

Gotta be thick skinned in forums, you can glean some good info, if you can look past the gut shots.......

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2018, 05:48:52 pm »
Thanks to those that gave me some constructive input but I think I'm done with this. Too much drama.
Aww man, this isn't drama, it's just commentary.  All constructive input without commentary makes for a pretty dull place.
You gotta learn how to take things with a grain of salt. Testicular fortitude my man, testicular fortitude.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »
Oh well, not sure why you'd come to a forum and ask for critiques, and disclose your build can't be what you want it to be due to the Mrs.

The Mrs. is designing it for ya TBH what we say doesn't really matter. :dunno

Anywho good luck with your build...........

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2018, 05:57:20 pm »
The dude has made a total of 10 posts and that somehow gives us an insight into his marriage?  He came here looking for advice on his cabinet and was very open to criticism and feedback.  I doubt he was looking for relationship advice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 06:19:28 pm by wp34 »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2018, 06:34:10 pm »
THAT was too much drama?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2018, 08:05:34 pm »
Guy asks for critique for his cabinet, not his marriage. Want to know where things got sideways?

happy wife == happy life

Truthfully, I feel like I won the wife lottery.
A quip was made about his wife, and he shrugs it off. If you said this to me, I would be annoyed, but I could let it slide. I could see where you would mistakenly think I was in some power struggle in my marriage.

You deserve a punch in the jaw. Dude... too far. What's he supposed to say next? Is he supposed to justify his marriage to you? It's one of those times you should back away and let the dude be happy with his wife and get back to his cabinet design.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2018, 08:10:14 pm »
Oh well, not sure why you'd come to a forum and ask for critiques, and disclose your build can't be what you want it to be due to the Mrs.

You were a little too harsh too. You may have been reading a bit too much into his relationship....

Personally, I don't really care how much % of the house you have and how much she has in a thread not related to your cabinet. OP just wanted to know what you thought of his wall cabinet. I didn't read the part where he wanted to be psycho-analyzed by a bunch of middle aged classic arcade nerds.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2018, 08:18:36 pm »
You want my address Lew?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 08:24:33 pm »
I think the happy wife happy life thing is stupid. I will say what I damn well please about it. He doesn't have to justify anything to me. He said to each his own and I was done.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 08:35:02 pm »
You deserve a punch in the jaw.
Ok, now this is legit drama.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 08:48:23 pm »
You want my address Lew?

::)

You think you can say whatever you want, but if you say that kinda crap in person with the same loathing tone as you do online, you deserve whatever you get. You can say whatever you want, but there are consequences. I'd respect you more if you said something like "Yeah, I may have got carried away with that", but instead you're going to double down, thump your chest and say "I can say what I damn well please"? Yeah, you're the victim. 

You act like "We don't run off new users. Heck, all we did was insult his wife, their marriage and manhood. It's not our fault they can't take a joke!"

Whatever man.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2018, 09:00:15 pm »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 09:00:46 pm »
I don't want your respect. Also it wasn't a joke. I meant it. I would tell him to his face. Same with you. I don't care what other people think. Your threat of physical violence exposes your hypocrisy.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2018, 09:07:02 pm »
So... is this where the circle-jerk is at?  :lol

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 09:20:33 pm »
We’ve done this before.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=148126

That's funny.  I forgot about that thread.  This one feels different tho.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 09:22:55 pm »
We’ve done this before.

That one was bad. To be honest, though, I really didn’t think this one called for face-punching.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »

You were a little too harsh too. You may have been reading a bit too much into his relationship....

Personally, I don't really care how much % of the house you have and how much she has in a thread not related to your cabinet. OP just wanted to know what you thought of his wall cabinet. I didn't read the part where he wanted to be psycho-analyzed by a bunch of middle aged classic arcade nerds.

Bro aren't you psycho analyzing the thread?

2nd, I'm nowhere close to being a middle class arcade nerd, i just like to build ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

3rd, if you would get off your tampon you would see where we were going with conversation.   Don't come in here asking for advice when your mind is already made up.  Nothing we said would of mattered, so the meat of the conversation was dont let you wife influence your build.

If he is building it with her specs, why the hell ask us?

I've seen way worse man banter in here, and those that overlooked the comments and took the advice did some great things.

Nerd I am not but a damn man I am, and dont recall asking for permission to voice my opinion.

Go read the first post the OP opened the thread with dont hold back positive or negative, so that's exactly what was done.

Damn forum is getting Charmin soft, waaaa waaaa booo hooo, man up people.  It's just a freakin hobby.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2018, 09:32:49 pm »
That one was bad. To be honest, though, I really didn’t think this one called for face-punching.

That's fair.  But Lew's post was 100% dead-on golf clap material aside from the face-punch suggestion.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 09:37:58 pm »
We’ve done this before.

That thread was titled “spouse approval” and was about needing your spouses approval.
This is a thread titled “wall cabinet critique” And is about spouse approval.  ::)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 09:44:44 pm »

2nd, I'm nowhere close to being a middle class arcade nerd, i just like to build ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

3rd, if you would get off your tampon you would see where we were going with conversation.   Don't come in here asking for advice when your mind is already made up.  Nothing we said would of mattered, so the meat of the conversation was dont let you wife influence your build.

I've seen way worse man banter in here, and those that overlooked the comments and took the advice did some great things.

Nerd I am not but a damn man I am, and dont recall asking for permission to voice my opinion.

Go read the first post the OP opened the thread with dont hold back positive or negative, so that's exactly what was done.

Damn forum is getting Charmin soft, waaaa waaaa booo hooo, man up people.  It's just a freakin hobby.

I said middle aged not middle class. I would never assume you were that high class.

Anyhow, I look forward to your next Dr. Phil moment.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2018, 09:46:13 pm »
We’ve done this before.

That thread was titled “spouse approval” and was about needing your spouses approval.
This is a thread titled “wall cabinet critique” And is about spouse approval.  ::)

Someone just recommend he buy this and then the circle can be unbroken....

To the OP.... you’ve got plenty of good advice here. Just ignore the side conversation. Keep us posted, and don’t punch anyone.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 09:50:51 pm »

I said middle aged not middle class. I would never assume you were that high class.

Anyhow, I look forward to your next Dr. Phil moment.

Dude you have no idea.

Looking forward to your next feminine napkin commercial  :cheers:

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2018, 09:51:55 pm »
To the OP.... you’ve got plenty of good advice here. Just ignore the side conversation. Keep us posted, and don’t punch anyone.

:cheers:

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2018, 09:54:47 pm »
Yep leapinlew has all the answers.....the rest of us don't know ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

Who's bringing the wine and cheese to the next gathering?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 09:57:51 pm »
Yeah. The guy threatening physical violence gets to call other people bullies.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 10:00:01 pm »
....the rest of us don't know ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.

You don’t speak for everyone, but you can definitely say that about yourself.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 10:09:24 pm »
fair enough, your having a heavy flow and cramping, lashing out is a symptom of PMS.

Might wanna build something or did you forget how to, been over a decade hasn't it, back when arcades weren't classic.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2018, 10:14:59 pm »

Its simple dude. You had gone too far. If you don’t see that, I don’t know how this won’t happen again.

Let me demonstrate how this works....

In hindsight, I wish I hadn’t said the punch-in-the-jaw comment. I said it to emphasize how out of line things were getting. Ultimately it was a distraction and overall hurt my message. I’m sorry Mike. I’ll try to refrain from that level of unprofessionalism.

And look at that... i acknowledged a mistake and I’m still alive.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 10:19:38 pm »
fair enough, your having a heavy flow and cramping, lashing out is a symptom of PMS.

Might wanna build something or did you forget how to, been over a decade hasn't it, back when arcades weren't classic.

I guess you want to get into some sort of internet fight? So, how does this work. You are calling me a woman? What’s the insult part again?

I’m not even kidding right now, you’re terrible at this.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »

Its simple dude. You had gone too far. If you don’t see that, I don’t know how this won’t happen again.

Let me demonstrate how this works....

In hindsight, I wish I hadn’t said the punch-in-the-jaw comment. I said it to emphasize how out of line things were getting. Ultimately it was a distraction and overall hurt my message. I’m sorry Mike. I’ll try to refrain from that level of unprofessionalism.

And look at that... i acknowledged a mistake and I’m still alive.

Dude, its called banter........we are in a forum that's male dominated.  Just like our back and forth, two guys talking ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, that's it that all. 

No harm no foul.  It's not personal and shouldnt be taken that way.....There is no tooooooo far in a forum, who the hell made up that rule.  Its free will open forum, nobody forces you to login in and sign on, when you do get ready for all sorts of opinions etc.

If it struck a nerve with you, why didnt you just give advice and get the thread back on track?

Instead of attacking grown ass mens opinions, more than likely we would of followed suit.

Regardless I was just giving you a hard time, nothing personal.... :cheers: 

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 10:24:28 pm »

I guess you want to get into some sort of internet fight? So, how does this work. You are calling me a woman? What’s the insult part again?

I’m not even kidding right now, you’re terrible at this.

I must not be too bad at it your acknowledging and responding to it aren't you...the reward is im wasting your time  >:D

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2018, 10:33:53 pm »
It's human nature to bend those who oppose to our will. Don't like what you read, Lew? By all means tell everybody they should think and behave as you say they should.  ::)
"Went to far"? I disagree, you just get offended too easily.
%Bartop

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2018, 10:44:11 pm »
So... thread lock?

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2018, 10:46:54 pm »
I’d like to see it stay open in the hopes that the OP returns.

Laythe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2018, 02:23:09 am »

I'm guessing I can count as "those", so - sure thing, man.   Hope we were able to help a little.  Sorry about what ended up happening.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2018, 04:15:27 am »
The one thing I regret is that this thread turned into garbage. I do apologize for my part in that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 05:43:21 am by Mike A »

Ond

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:07:24 am
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2018, 06:08:48 am »
There's nothing here a mod clean up wouldn't fix.  Mods, clean up on aisle 5!  Hmmm, so what's really the issue?  I don't understand what the big deal is about building a cab that's not attached to a wall?  If your wife really objects to anything but a wall mounted unit I'd be interested in the reasons. Not that there's anything particularly that bad about it but some good points have been raised by members about why it's impractical.  You asked for that feedback and got it.  If this thread survives, if you can get past the tone/netspeak of some members, I will help you with your design.  A free photo real concept render from your spec should you choose to accept it.  This offer will self-destruct in 24 hrs from my post’s time stamp.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2018, 09:10:04 am »
There's nothing here a mod clean up wouldn't fix.  Mods, clean up on aisle 5!  Hmmm, so what's really the issue?  I don't understand what the big deal is about building a cab that's not attached to a wall?  If your wife really objects to anything but a wall mounted unit I'd be interested in the reasons. Not that there's anything particularly that bad about it but some good points have been raised by members about why it's impractical.  You asked for that feedback and got it.  If this thread survives, if you can get past the tone/netspeak of some members, I will help you with your design.  A free photo real concept render from your spec should you choose to accept it.  This offer will self-destruct in 24 hrs from my post’s time stamp.

Take the offer, OP.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2018, 10:37:29 am »
Here's my apology for the thread derail....yes OP take that offer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:38:06 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2018, 12:18:45 pm »
To keep things on track..

I like the design (although not sure about the purpose of the bit below the CP as if anything, it reduces stool space). I'm a bit biased though as I think wall hanging cabinets can look really good if the design melds it to the wall and doesn't just look like it's hanging there.

A marquee would definitely add to it. If you wanted to light it - bearing in mind how little depth there is at that point you could use EL tape or diffused LED's. Or just not light it. Either way, something in keeping with the design of the cab.

Standing that close to the wall is a nugatory point. You'll be looking at the space in front of you, i.e. the display/controls. I always build cabs as slim as possible (space is an issue) and I can honestly say it's never occurred to me that it's a problem.

Welcome to the forum chap. New ideas are always welcome.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2018, 12:24:01 pm »
We’ve done this before.

Yay! Quoted2

Is there a prize? I'll ask the missus if I can pick it up   ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2018, 12:44:44 pm »
You get a free stuffed lizard.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2018, 01:11:23 pm »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 04:06:40 pm »
he coming back or did we successfully run another new member off?

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2018, 04:25:28 pm »
if you can get past the tone/netspeak of some members,
The guy was criticised on his relationship with his wife. That's not "tone", that's substance. Why use a misleading euphemism? I thought we all tell it like it is.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: November 30, 2018, 04:40:02 pm »
if you can get past the tone/netspeak of some members,
The guy was criticised on his relationship with his wife. That's not "tone", that's substance. Why use a misleading euphemism? I thought we all tell it like it is.

I know you weren't talking to me, but in the interest of keeping the peace, I think OND was attempting damage control. Things were said that could have entirely different meanings depending on tone.

While I think it's unfortunate that things went the way they did in this thread, I see no reason for any pre-existing feud you may have with OND to re-ignite this hot topic.

Ond

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 02:07:24 am
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »
I have no feud with anyone on BYOAC.  My use of the word "tone" is no misleading euphemism.  It means what it means.  I'm interested solely in the design of the OP.  It's a pretty plain one, not much to it IMO.  It could be improved; it could hang on a wall or not.  I'm genuinely interested in the design requirements whomever the stakeholders may be.  SAF (spousal approval factor) is a part of the hobby but let’s not get side-tracked.  I can take a sketch-up file and work with the OP's requirements and produce a life like render.  Concept renders like that have proved useful to me over the years and to others.  It wouldn't take me too long, but there's not much point if the OP isn't going to use my help.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2018, 05:38:38 pm »
Jesus, that was a fun read..... I never saw a thread take that fast of a turn. Sorry OP!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

BGoulette

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:41:55 am
    • lazerjoose.com
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2018, 09:49:47 am »
I took too long grabbing the popcorn. Maybe next time.

I agree with Ond's observation that the design looks a little "plain." I understand it's just a sketch, but I'd be interested to see some of the details fleshed out. Maybe multiple views/angles for a better sense of stuff.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2018, 10:18:48 am »
Jesus, that was a fun read..... I never saw a thread take that fast of a turn. Sorry OP!

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2018, 10:29:40 am »
Oh, it's happened before. Several times we've seen new people getting run off and the old guard blaming them for not being able to take some hazing.

Probably the reason it escalated so quickly is because this is an ongoing debate. I'm sure it'll happen again.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
Wall Cabinet Critique
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2018, 12:26:49 pm »
Nobody runs people off simply because they’re new. And the way the guy phrased his request for feedback in his initial post, I figured he knew what he was getting into by asking for it.

I mean, it is what it is. Do some new people get scared off from time to time? Yes. But It’s usually because of a concept or idea, not simply because they’re new. And quite frankly, before I started posting here, I looked for quite a while and learn to read the tone and mood of this place. If someone like Goz or HaRuMaN or Cheffo even Leapinlew gave me bit of crap, I knew where his heart was coming from. I knew not to take it personally. This was their locker room/sandbox, and I was coming in to play.

So I hope the OP is still at least lurking and realizing that no one is really giving him genuine crap over the wife comments and that many of us, myself included, are cognizant of their spouses feelings when it comes to the hobby. Honestly, if I posted a comment and someone gives me crap, I just give it back (looking at you Jimbo). And then move on. It’s just banter. Quite frankly, the banter is why I still enjoy coming to this place, considering I haven’t built anything MAME-related in years.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 12:28:23 pm by yotsuya »

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2018, 01:32:45 pm »
I figured he knew what he was getting into by asking for it.
Of course! When he said "Please don't hold back with the feedback, positive or negative as this is my first cabinet design", he was clearly asking for feedback about his relationship with his wife. There is no trolling of noobs which you won't defend.

I mean, it is what it is. Do some new people get scared off from time to time? Yes. But It’s usually because of a concept or idea, not simply because they’re new. And quite frankly, before I started posting here, I looked for quite a while and learn to read the tone and mood of this place. If someone like Goz or HaRuMaN or Cheffo even Leapinlew gave me bit of crap, I knew where his heart was coming from. I knew not to take it personally. This was their locker room/sandbox, and I was coming in to play.
There's no denying you paid your dues. That's how you got where you are. Just keep in mind that healthy personalities aren't going to tolerate your (plural) dominance games. Likely, noobs abandon this site more because they know toxicity when they see it, rather than because of insufficiently thick skin.

if I posted a comment and someone gives me crap, I just give it back (looking at you Jimbo). And then move on. It’s just banter. Quite frankly, the banter is why I still enjoy coming to this place, considering I haven’t built anything MAME-related in years.
Ha! And again: Ha! Anybody who gives it back it back is accused of not being able to take it themselves. You're only allowed to give it back after you've demonstrated your willingness to submit to the cool kids' ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. And "moving on?". You're joking. Check out your posting history, and that of your minions. Grudges and dog-piles galore.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:22:08 am by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2018, 02:23:15 pm »
I figured he knew what he was getting into by asking for it.
Of course! When he said "Please don't hold back with the feedback, positive or negative as this is my first cabinet design", he was clearly asking for feedback about his relationship with his wife.

There's no denying you paid your dues. That's how you got where you are. But keep in mind that your dominance games don't appeal to everybody. Some might even find them sickening.

if I posted a comment and someone gives me crap, I just give it back (looking at you Jimbo). And then move on. It’s just banter. Quite frankly, the banter is why I still enjoy coming to this place, considering I haven’t built anything MAME-related in years.
Ha! And again: Ha! Anybody who gives it back it back is accused of not being able to take it themselves. You're only allowed to give it back after you've demonstrated your willingness to submit to the cool kids' ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---. And "moving on?". You're joking. Check out your posting history, and that of your minions. Grudges galore.

Minions? LOL.

I’m sorry someone picked on you in grade school, Lucas, and you’ve made it your mission to best shadow bullies and big fat meanies everywhere. Keep ragin’ against the machine, you’ll make a difference one day.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:13:39 pm
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2018, 10:07:07 pm »
I mean, it is what it is. Do some new people get scared off from time to time? Yes. But It’s usually because of a concept or idea, not simply because they’re new.

Sometimes it's because that concept or idea, while perfectly sound, does not meet the approval of a few core members.

When I first joined, I got absolutely lambasted for not wanting to buy a particular piece of gear that I didn't need.
The piece of gear did not even address the question that I had originally asked.

I don't want to bring up the name of main offender, but most can probably guess who it was. Seems he makes a habit of it, so much so in fact that there is an associated catch phrase.

Anyway, I realize that keyboard warriors are often compensating for real life inadequacies, but I could see how such behavior might scare away someone who just came here to learn about this hobby.

You yourself were part of it. When I hit back just as hard (and then some) you implied that if I was not willing to tolerate his attempt to bully me that I would not be welcome on the forum.

We have since exchanged pleasantries elsewhere on the forum, and you seem like a decent guy with excellent knowledge of the hobby and a good sense of humor.

I do however think that if you leapt to anyone's defense on that occasion, it should have been the new guy, not the guy who is routinely an ---uvula--- to new members.

To the OP, if you're still here...

I totally get that you want to be considerate to your wife.
What we see as a really cool arcade machine, some wives may see as an ugly monstrosity.

My wife was not too thrilled with the idea to begin with (full-size upright that lives in the living room) but once she discovered Metal Slug and Ghosts 'n Goblins, she actually uses it more than I do now.

If that's not on the cards, then I think your wall mounted cab is a good compromise.

I do think the idea of a pedestal is a good one though.

Alternatively, why don't you try a bar stick as your first project?
It's a control panel containing a computer that you hook up to your TV and use like a pedestal, but can easily be put away when you're not using it.

If you do decide to build a cab afterwards, a bar stick is still awesome to have because it's portable enough to take to parties etc.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »
Yes.

Turns out the answer to my question was ~500 tokens, and I am indeed still using them.

I also didn't need those mechs everyone was insisting I buy.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2018, 11:28:57 pm »
Yes.

Turns out the answer to my question was ~500 tokens, and I am indeed still using them.

I print my own now. Man how time has passed.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2018, 11:32:49 pm »
Yes.

Just out of curiosity, did you get to keep to your $250 budget?
If so, I’d be interested in a cost breakdown to see where the bulk of the cost is at with a small budget build.
Feel free to post it here. Doesn’t look like this thread is going anywhere good anyway. ;)

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2018, 11:47:27 pm »
Yes.

I hope you mean that you print coin mechs, not tokens.

Counterfeit tokens are ruining the economy.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2018, 11:55:22 pm »
Yes.

I hope you mean that you print coin mechs, not tokens.

Counterfeit tokens are ruining the economy.

Mechs. I have more tokens than I know what to do with.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:52 am »
As someone with fewer tokens than I know what to do with, can I ask where you get them from?

The ones I have are crappy pachislo tokens. I can't justify paying eBay prices for nicer ones because the ones I have work just fine, but I would like to get some proper arcade tokens 'some day'.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:38 am »
As someone with fewer tokens than I know what to do with, can I ask where you get them from?

The ones I have are crappy pachislo tokens. I can't justify paying eBay prices for nicer ones because the ones I have work just fine, but I would like to get some proper arcade tokens 'some day'.

I’ve been lucky enough to get them in lots when they become available. A combo of eBay, people selling here and on KLOV, and being in the right place at the right time. The key was just to keep an eye out and not be in a rush.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:13 am »
Yes.

Just out of curiosity, did you get to keep to your $250 budget?
If so, I’d be interested in a cost breakdown to see where the bulk of the cost is at with a small budget build.
Feel free to post it here. Doesn’t look like this thread is going anywhere good anyway. ;)

Yes I did, except I bought new controls that i didn't have to buy.

I had some left over from a bartop that I dismantled, but I wanted different colors. Had I used the ones I already had, I would have been within my budget.

I can't remember the exact breakdown, but since I already had a PC, a monitor and encoders, all I really needed to buy was the wood, some. T-molding, paint, a few sundries such as aluminum angle, screws etc, some plexi and a coin door.

I already had most of the tools needed, but I did have to buy a slot cutter for my router for the T-molding.

I used the Moon Patrol cabinet as the basis of my design, but slimmed it down by about 5", which enabled me to get both sides out of one piece of wood, and saved about $60 I think.

I chose a black and white color scheme, so I didn't need to buy any artwork.

I actually came in at under $200, but I have yet to buy glass/plexi for in front of the monitor.
I'm suffering from analysis paralysis, and I can't decide whether to use glass or plexi, what level of tint etc.

In a nutshell, I deliberately chose a simple design so that I could stay within my budget without having to cut corners.

Edit:
Here's a link to my build thread. Probably should update it. It's finished apart from monitor glass:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150023.msg1566938.html#msg1566938
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:17:38 am by Jamesbeat »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 08:20:26 am »
I just saw an ebay auction for 5 pounds of tokens for about 26 dollars. That included shipping. They looked to be in good shape. Is that within your budget. I could post the link if you like.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:57 am »

I’ve been lucky enough to get them in lots when they become available. A combo of eBay, people selling here and on KLOV, and being in the right place at the right time. The key was just to keep an eye out and not be in a rush.

Yeah, I'll keep my eye out.
I used to have thousands of the things back when I lived in the UK, but ~20lbs of tokens is not something you bring with you when moving house by plane.

I wonder if noice is still around? His website is still up, but it doesn't look like it's been updated since 2008.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2018, 08:28:08 am »
I just saw an ebay auction for 5 pounds of tokens for about 26 dollars. That included shipping. They looked to be in good shape. Is that within your budget. I could post the link if you like.

Yes definitely, thanks!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2018, 08:38:26 am »
Awesome, thanks!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2018, 08:45:59 am »

Yeah, I'll keep my eye out.
I used to have thousands of the things back when I lived in the UK, but ~20lbs of tokens is not something you bring with you when moving house by plane.

I wonder if noice is still around? His website is still up, but it doesn't look like it's been updated since 2008.

I think he sold his last batch of tokens recently. He’s going through some personal stuff, so I’d look for other sources. The deals Mike pointed out are a god start.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2018, 11:54:08 am »
Really? Do you have more information on that? Would be nice to print mech that work with the old currency coins I am going to use.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2018, 12:40:08 pm »
Really? Do you have more information on that? Would be nice to print mech that work with the old currency coins I am going to use.

Not 3D printing, but if you already have coin mechs, take a look at this guide for modifying an existing mech to take different coins/tokens:

http://www.rotheblog.com/2008/11/arcade/tutorial-change-your-coin-door-to-accept-tokens/

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2018, 12:45:08 pm »
What about that dude that kept hiring 15 year old girls to help run his token business?  He still picking them up from school every day and wondering why they keep quitting when their parents find out?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2018, 02:36:09 pm »

Barry, do you have a 3D printer?

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2018, 02:42:41 pm »
What about that dude that kept hiring 15 year old girls to help run his token business?  He still picking them up from school every day and wondering why they keep quitting when their parents find out?

I think you might be talking about the Token Warehouse guy I mentioned above.

Are you perhaps thinking of this infamous thread on KLOV?:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=14577

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2018, 03:04:00 pm »
What the crap? I got to page 3 so far. Does it end with that creep in jail?

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2018, 03:16:52 pm »
What the crap? I got to page 3 so far. Does it end with that creep in jail?

I thought the same thing to begin with, but believe it or not, I ended up feeling quite sympathetic towards him in the end.

Keep reading, it's a long read, but it's quite a rollercoaster and it has a surprise ending.

Please don't cheat and skip to the end, you will spoil it for yourself.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2018, 04:52:34 pm »
He’s active on another forum I frequent. He’s pretty much ended up where you think he’d be.

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2018, 05:37:57 pm »
That's a pity. He's a bit... odd, but his heart seemed to be in the right place.

I feel like I know him after reading all of that thread lol.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2018, 05:55:04 pm »
That's a pity. He's a bit... odd, but his heart seemed to be in the right place.

He’s definitely an interesting character. I will say that there are a lot of people who are very disappointed with him.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:04 am »

Yes I do. A Creality Ender-3.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2018, 12:46:04 pm »

Check this link out:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740435

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:27:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #120 on: December 05, 2018, 12:50:23 pm »

He’s definitely an interesting character. I will say that there are a lot of people who are very disappointed with him.

Had to go reactivate my KLOV account.  Looks like the last time I logged in the twins had just been born.  I'll say an ominous feeling kicked in around page 160 but that thread must be missing some updates...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2018, 01:52:23 pm »
KLOV isn’t the site I’m referring to.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2018, 08:36:01 pm »

You're going to need to be much more specific.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2018, 10:09:10 pm »
I promise I’ll post the goods when I have a free minute. Pretty busy two days.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #124 on: December 05, 2018, 10:09:35 pm »
Wow what a starter project thread.
Who needs soap operas when you have BYOAC?

To the original poster:
Take what we say with a grain of salt. We are all pretty nice guys on here and we have a lot of knowledge to share.
Our suggestions may be kinda out there, and some of us are sensitive to what we think should be done on a project.
But in the end, we all know that you should do whats best for you, your skills, and your situation.

Now to the rest of us:
Lets take it easy on new people. Give them time to soak in how we are before thrashing too bad.
And I agree with others,  a man and his relationship with his wife is or at least should be, a no-go zone area for us, especially with newbies.
Just be nice.  And lets have fun with a very little amount of drama.

And thanks for not running me off in my infancy on here.

(Putting soap box back up)

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2018, 09:00:42 am »

Check this link out:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740435

Thanks!  :cheers: