Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: T-molding cut drifts from center after lengthy cut  (Read 5192 times)

ZTylerDurden717

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 07, 2024, 12:52:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
T-molding cut drifts from center after lengthy cut
« on: November 21, 2018, 11:57:22 am »
Do you guys also have an issue where the t-molding cut starts out great from dead center but as you go on it drifts slightly upward and off center?  I've tried the cut multiple times and no matter how I apply the pressure/grip on the router it drifts from center.   I think I can live with it since it's centered for a good portion of the cut but was curious if you guys have a technique to handle that.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
Re: T-molding cut drifts from center after lengthy cut
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 12:02:22 pm »
Do you guys also have an issue where the t-molding cut starts out great from dead center but as you go on it drifts slightly upward and off center?  I've tried the cut multiple times and no matter how I apply the pressure/grip on the router it drifts from center.   I think I can live with it since it's centered for a good portion of the cut but was curious if you guys have a technique to handle that.

Are you tightening the router blade sufficiently ? Is the drift due to you moving the router off center or is the blade moving ?

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »
It's hard to tell but I'm going to lean towards it being the blade moving because I keep the same pressure and level from the beginning of the cut. 

The router is natively a 1/2" shank and it comes with a 1/4" adapter to fit this t-molding bit. Could it be that the shank is sticking out too far out from the collet?  The distance as I've read is supposed to be a "coin size" width distance but I give it more slack to get the depth I need.

edit: Attaching photo of cut.  Don't mind the wood bits sticking out in some areas since I tested the t-molding and it'll still be a tight fit.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:13:52 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 01:16:16 pm »
It's hard to tell but I'm going to lean towards it being the blade moving because I keep the same pressure and level from the beginning of the cut. 

The router is natively a 1/2" shank and it comes with a 1/4" adapter to fit this t-molding bit. Could it be that the shank is sticking out too far out from the collet?  The distance as I've read is supposed to be a "coin size" width distance but I give it more slack to get the depth I need.

edit: Attaching photo of cut.  Don't mind the wood bits sticking out in some areas since I tested the t-molding and it'll still be a tight fit.
I had an issue for my build but it was due to not tightening it enough.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 01:18:27 pm »

Did you live with it or redo?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:08:24 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 01:45:34 pm »
How well does that adapter fit? That is one extra point of slippage.

You should get a 1/4 inch collet for your router.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 02:14:53 pm »

Did you live with it or redo?
It was on the 1st cut I did and it only drifted a bit so I kept it....you can't really tell as it only started to drift at the end of my ride side panel cut. So it's only off at the bottom

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 02:31:31 pm »
How well does that adapter fit? That is one extra point of slippage.

You should get a 1/4 inch collet for your router.

It's a 1/4" collet adapter that came with my 1/2" router.  Could still be the cause of the issue but I'm not sure.

It was on the 1st cut I did and it only drifted a bit so I kept it....you can't really tell as it only started to drift at the end of my ride side panel cut. So it's only off at the bottom

Cool I think I'll keep my cut too. 

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 02:51:54 pm »
I also f***ed it up on one of my bartop build's side panels.  Tried to use a cheap router that had good reviews.  Turns out it wasn't that good and the depth stop didn't hold so it drifted.  I'll be re-doing mine but instead making the groove wider and using glue because I'm not convinced I want it dead centre and would like some wiggle room to centre it by hand, due to it being 18mm ply but the t-molding is 3/4", and one side will have artwork on it.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 06:11:50 pm »
I also f***ed it up on one of my bartop build's side panels.  Tried to use a cheap router that had good reviews.  Turns out it wasn't that good and the depth stop didn't hold so it drifted.  I'll be re-doing mine but instead making the groove wider and using glue because I'm not convinced I want it dead centre and would like some wiggle room to centre it by hand, due to it being 18mm ply but the t-molding is 3/4", and one side will have artwork on it.

Now that I think about it, I think that's what the issue was.  The freakin depth didn't hold and became slightly loose.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 08:25:47 am »
Another thing that can be happening is never push the router bit 'ALL THE WAY' into the collet. Push it in, then  back it out a little.  If you bottom it out - it will not tighten properly - and is likely spinning loose..
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:59:44 pm »
Another thing that can be happening is never push the router bit 'ALL THE WAY' into the collet. Push it in, then  back it out a little.  If you bottom it out - it will not tighten properly - and is likely spinning loose..

Where were ya when I needed you last summer? Haha