Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can you apply sideart over latex paint.  (Read 2680 times)

rlemmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2022, 02:54:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can you apply sideart over latex paint.
« on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:58 am »
So I've been doing research on a mame project i want to do. One of the side art dealers site said you should not apply sideart over cabinets painted with latex due to outgassing. They recommend oil based which is very expensive here. It made me think back to a cab i did years ago. It was painted with black latex paint and a month down the road one of the pieces of sideart fell on the floor. I replaced it and the second one stayed.  Any thoughts. Mabey staining with a coat of poly is the way to go.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
Re: Can you apply sideart over latex paint.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 08:51:08 am »
Whoever told you that is totally wrong. Outgassing occurs when VOCs leave the paint as it drys. Latex and other waterbased paints now are very low to 0 VOCs. There is really no outgassing that can occur. Once waterbased paint is dry it's dry. I work for Sherwin Williams so that info is sound. Also I have done my fair share of vinyl applications on arcade cabs.

Oil paint funny enough never dries. It's molecules slowly shrink as it dries and eventually 10-20 years later you will see the product start to crack and Alligator.

So go ahead and use a good waterbased coating. for side art I find a good waterbased semigloss enamel works great.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 09:34:41 am »
Whoever told you that is totally wrong. Outgassing occurs when VOCs leave the paint as it drys. Latex and other waterbased paints now are very low to 0 VOCs. There is really no outgassing that can occur. Once waterbased paint is dry it's dry. I work for Sherwin Williams so that info is sound. Also I have done my fair share of vinyl applications on arcade cabs.

Oil paint funny enough never dries. It's molecules slowly shrink as it dries and eventually 10-20 years later you will see the product start to crack and Alligator.

So go ahead and use a good waterbased coating. for side art I find a good waterbased semigloss enamel works great.

Good info - Also good quality sideart will be printed on air release vinyl that has tiny holes that let air/gas pass through it. The art falling off was probably more a lack of cleaning and prepping the surface properly before applying it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 09:35:14 am »
What Ian said. I've put vinyl over latex a ton of times without issue.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 01:44:47 pm »
Honestly I've never heard of someone using oil-based paint on a cab. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:02:11 pm »

I've used it to seal out some pesky glue residue and some wood grain also it works well direct to wood without a primer. Probably the only good thing about Oil Based paints really. If you have the time though Waterbased paints now out perform oil based paints in longevity and ease of use for sure. Good tip for homeowners, waterbased for longevity, but problem areas may require oil.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

rlemmon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 08:46:14 pm »
Thanks for the help everyone!  :applaud:   Gloss black It is!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 02:01:44 pm »

If you are going gloss back, tint your primer gray and get a prepackaged black, not one that needs to be tinted. Save you a ton of time and only one to two coats.

RxBrad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 31, 2023, 12:41:00 pm
  • I like burritos.
    • bit.ly/1GDVYUu
    • RxBrad.com
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 02:30:59 pm »

Isn't Rustoleum typically oil/enamel?  I always thought it was more durable then latex; but takes a lot longer to "dry".

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 03:12:43 pm »

Isn't Rustoleum typically oil/enamel?  I always thought it was more durable then latex; but takes a lot longer to "dry".

Depends on where you are located - IIRC in CA oil based paints are no longer available for purchase ( THink it was outlawed about 10 years ago unless things have changed )

rlemmon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 05:21:34 pm »

If you are going gloss back, tint your primer gray and get a prepackaged black, not one that needs to be tinted. Save you a ton of time and only one to two coats.
Thanks. will do!

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 09:49:21 pm »

Depends on where you are located - IIRC in CA oil based paints are no longer available for purchase ( THink it was outlawed about 10 years ago unless things have changed )

There are a ton of VOC restrictions now in a few states. In Wisconsin we can still get all the Oil based paint we want, however in Illinois they can only buy certain oil based products in quarts. But larger gallon and 5 gallon buckets I believe are no longer available. Unless it is a specific commercial job.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 12:53:21 am »
If I'm not mistaken, most spray paints are various synthetic blends, so even if it's "oil paint" there's more in it than oil, thus it changes the properties of the paint.  At least that's how it was explained to me. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 01:45:39 pm »
If I'm not mistaken, most spray paints are various synthetic blends, so even if it's "oil paint" there's more in it than oil, thus it changes the properties of the paint.  At least that's how it was explained to me.

That's interesting. I have not heard that. I think Spray Paint has such a small amount of paint that they can be sold in some VOC restricted states like Illinois. So the stuff we make and sell is oil, and in Illinois it is oil. But California? That is totally possible!

We do a lot with Acrylic Alkyd Hybrids. Essentially oil resins suspended in water molecules. So clean up is still soap and water instead of paint thinner, and dry time is similar to waterbased paints (but a bit longer). However once the water evaporates what you have left are the oil resins that behave like an oil paint behaves. Cool technology! So the drytime for waterbased products can be anywhere from 15 mintues to an hour. Recoat is usually 4 hours. With a hybrid, dry time usually is around 2 hours. Which is kind of cool because it allows the paint to level out (as the water evaporates and the oil resins start doing their thing) and come out looking as smooth as glass. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 03:58:08 pm »

That's interesting. I have not heard that. I think Spray Paint has such a small amount of paint that they can be sold in some VOC restricted states like Illinois. So the stuff we make and sell is oil, and in Illinois it is oil. But California? That is totally possible!

Well now I'm curious.  The info I got was from a relative that used to work at Dupont, so they could have just been talking out of their butt.  I'm going to check the ingredients list next time I buy paint and see what is sold here.  This is WV, so if it's good enough for Illinois I've got to think it'd be good enough for a state full of climate change deniers.