Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xbox 360 arcade stick WITH a d pad  (Read 5447 times)

MikeyJ122

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2019, 08:10:59 am
  • Game on!!!
Xbox 360 arcade stick WITH a d pad
« on: November 18, 2018, 02:50:02 pm »
So here is the deal, I'm interested in making a dedicated Xbox 360 cab with an arcade stick. IMO WWE 2K14 is the BEST wrestling game ever made (gameplay, roster, customability, etc), it just has a great mix. So much so, that I would like to make a cab JUST for that game, I would like to play other games as well (especially fighting games), but the main reason is for WWE 2K14.

The problem/questions I have is in regards to the D pad. Although you dont use it much in that game, you DO use it for taunting. So without that ability, it would seem a little hollow imo.

I've been doing research into "officially" made sticks (Hori for example), as well as the tank stick. My question is, do they or CAN they incorporate both left analogue and D pad functionality at the same time. Like possibly using the track ball on the tank stick to function as the d pad. Or is it strictly one or the other?

Thanks for any insight you guys might have.
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
Re: Xbox 360 arcade stick WITH a d pad
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 03:48:02 pm »
HI  take a look..

my arcade xbox 360 cab: http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/2017/05/

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 08:46:45 pm »
HI  take a look..

my arcade xbox 360 cab: http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/2017/05/

Hi, looks great!!! What do you do for a D pad though?
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 06:50:29 am »
Every fight stick I've seen has a switch to switch between left stick and d-pad.  So they can't be used simultaneously.

You'd need to hack into a standard controller to use as an interface.
The wrinkle would be that you'd have to get a regular microswitch joystick to work with the analog thumbstick inputs.  I know it can be done using some resistors, but I can't tell you off the top of my head how.

Another easier option would be to use a fight stick and rig up a button in place of the switch that switches between d-pad and left stick.  I imagine you aren't using the left analog stick while taunting since you'd have to move your thumb over to the d-pad anyway.  In this scenario, you'd hold down the special button and move the joystick in a direction to taunt.  This is assuming that switch works instantaneously.

Ultimarc sells an interface that shows up as an Xbox 360 controller.  I'm not sure if it would have any useful tricks or not.  It might.

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 07:11:04 am »
So there is a switch? That's promising then. Is it hard to do "on the fly?" As long as I can perform those functions is all that really matters to me. Which stick would you recommend?
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 08:14:33 am »
I was just looking at this one, it seems to get pretty good reviews plus its moddable to change sticks and buttons. Does anyone know anything about it? Like switching back and fourth between d pad and left analogue on the fly for example. That's really my biggest concern.

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Arcade-Pro-V-Fighting-Stick-Windows/dp/B0136JP894?SubscriptionId=AKIAJV4KMHBMUG36SMIQ&tag=pcm_cse-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0136JP894&ascsubtag=042293b0-2c76-4efa-81f6-eecd59f93ce3
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 02:31:51 pm »
I don't have any personal experience with any of them (or an xbox360). 
I have hacked fight-pads in my PC based cab, but have never tried flipping the switch mid-game.
(I would have to open the control panel to do it)

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 09:19:45 pm »
I've done quite a bit of research into the Hori stick, and I think work out quite well. Besides it's easy to replace the buttons and stick in it.
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 11:01:41 pm »
It's a good stick, but if you don't mind me asking, why would you pay that much for one when you can build your own?  Buttons are two bucks a pop and maybe 20-30 for the joystick.... you can get an interface board for peanuts as well.  Heck they even sell pre-cut control panels for around 20. 

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 06:30:07 am »
I didnt know that you could buy all the neccessary parts to build a 360 stick. Everything I've seen involves tearing apart a 360 controller and soldering. That's where I check out tbh. If I could find the "brains" for a 360 controller, where all I would have to do is plug in switches, I WOULD very much go that route. I HAVE to be able to incorporate at least both the d pad and left analogue though. But heck, if I'm gonna do it, I would like to add right analogue as well, so I can play games like Halo as well.

So I would NEED to be able to check a lot of boxes beyond just your typical "fight stick." But please, if you know of an interface that will work for these needs, please show it to me!!!
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 06:40:13 am »
Basically, to summarize, my DREAM 360 arcade stick can do EVERYTHING a traditional 360 controller can do, just in arcade form. That way EVERY 360 game would be playable. I've been looking and I haven't seen any examples of this yet. It seems like most people are going for the traditional arcade stick feel. Which there isnt anything wrong with that, but it does prevent you from playing your entire library with this controller. So THATS what I would like to do. If I can do THAT for my 360, my OG Xbox would be next.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:42:58 am by MikeyJ122 »
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 09:49:59 am »
first i hacking the pad of the 360 and its work great...but then i realise that is better to order xbox360 USB encoder. its work only for the d-PAD. not for the Right/left stick.

my main goal is  was to build xbox 360 for fighting games 'and some xbla (arcade) game.

http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/2017/05/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 04:27:25 pm »
Unless you are disabled in some way and want accessibility controller you do NOT want analog controls on an arcade stick.  Your thumbs are far more efficient for games like halo and making controls that you'll never use once you realize it's better on the gamepad.  Trust me on this.... we've been at this a loooong time and over the years I can't think of a single person that preferred to play analog stick games on their arcade panels. 

Thee are encoder boards that mimic a 360 gamepad so that isn't a problem. 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:27 pm »
Basically, to summarize, my DREAM 360 arcade stick can do EVERYTHING a traditional 360 controller can do, just in arcade form. That way EVERY 360 game would be playable.

That's just not going to happen.  Like I said I've never owned an xbox360, but based on Steam most modern games utilize every last damn button and analog controls.
More than half the platformers that I thought would work with arcade controls turned out not to because they required a right analog stick to aim or required both the d-pad and left analog stick both.
Playable games are pretty much limited to the fighting games, shmups, and a few puzzle games.

You could do something like this, but it's a PITA to use both sticks while also hitting buttons.

I did build this once upon a time for a paraplegic guy before microsoft made stuff available.  It's probably closest to what you're looking for, but the analog joysticks we ended up using probably wouldn't hold up long if used by people who weren't being careful with them.  We couldn't find any alternatives though.  At least not other than the $300 (each) happ ones.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128941.msg1317749.html#msg1317749

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 09:24:19 pm »
Yeah you've got to think it through.  On your average fps you use both triggers, both shoulders, both thumb sticks and possibly an odd face button or two all at the same time.  That's a lot easier to do with the ergonomics of a gamepad as opposed to a control panel where those particular buttons and sticks would be very far from each other. 

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 07:21:59 pm »
Its NOT only about playability of certain games though, it's about presentation as well. I'm currently brain storming my main arcade machine (no funds at the moment, hence brainstorming). Anyways... that machine will basically have EVERYTHING I've ever wanted from the beginning up to PSX. Which I'm super excited to begin that cab, but it just leaves me wanting for OG Xbox up to present day. I've already got my wife on board with a 2nd cab (but I dont want press my luck, lol. So I basically want a 2nd machine to do all of the more modern stuff, all in one compact unit. I dont want to constantly change control panels, etc.

As of right now, I'm planning this cab to run OG Xbox, 360, Gamecube, and Switch (with possibly Xbox one, but that'll be later.) Which that's why I'm leaning towards the tank stick for this cab (which I know some of you will give me flack for, lol.) But they have all the adapters and a box to switch to all the different systems. So I feel confident in this plan. Obviously not ALL games will be better with tank stick than with an actual controller, but I can still hook up a controller if I want to. Which to be honest, FPS are NOT what I'm really looking forward to playing on this. Yes I will have the Halo series on here, but they are more of an after thought really.

Here is a quick list of the MAIN games im looking into running Xbox: Gauntelt Dark Legacy, Tiger Woods 2004 (best golf game ever imo), Godzilla destroy all monsters, Virtua Fighter 3 just to name a few.

360: WWE 2K14, Marvel vs Capcom series, DC vs Mortal Kombat

Gamecube: Resident Evil, Star Wars Rougue Leader

Switch: Smash Brothers
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 01:02:20 pm »
Arcade games play well with arcade CPs, console games play well with Gamepads. You're never going to come up with a jack-of-all-trades layout that doesn't leave some genres of games completely unplayable.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 08:48:21 am »
Heads up.  There's actually a cheap analog arcade stick available now: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158906.0.html

This was the main sticking point in previous attempts.
Mine will be delivered today.  I will test the pots to see how well it will work hacked into an x360 pad.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 07:29:01 pm »
Just get a xarcade 360 adapter and encoder and you can swap between them.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.