Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wow Classic  (Read 6882 times)

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
Wow Classic
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:43:29 pm »
Anyone else excited about World of Warcraft Classic coming out. Vanilla and than Burning Crusades were the most fun I have ever had in a game. I know a lot of people liked Wrath of the Lich King but that is when it started losing it for me with how easy it was getting, and sharding so you always felt like a single player game. I remember leveling up threw Wrath of the Lich King content being mostly board and the first 5 man dungeon we did which would normally have been pretty hard the person playing the new overpowerd Shadow-Knight class was pulling everything, tanking, damaging, and healing by himself; he could have practically soloed the dungeon; after that I was just like this game has been ruined, canceled account never played again.

It sounds like they really did lose the game so they are actually re-making their own game with the optimized current game they have, lets hope they do not take liberties and ruin the lighting in the bottle that was classic wow.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Wow Classic
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:50 pm »
Classic WOW was fun but the grind wasn't.  Then came along the gold mining and then everything went titsup.

Since I have my own WOW server (Lich King) on Trinity, I can start at the beginning or towards the end.  No more grind, and there is plenty of free to play servers out there.

With larger games like Fallout 4 and Witcher 3, WOW is quietly going stage left.  Pay to play was fun while it lasted.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 05:33:26 pm »
Yep, really excited. Hope they don't screw it up. The worst thing they can do is cave into crybabies who want everything made easier.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 06:26:38 pm »
Though I won't go back to playing it, I am glad Blizzard listened to the hardcore WoW fans and are bringing it back to the glory of the 40-man raids.

The first time my guild downed Onyxia was euphoric. The first time we beat Blackrock Mountain, Molten Core, Ragnorok, it was incredible!  The organization, the strategies, even the journey of building up of your character to be raid-ready was glorious.  At the time I was playing as the healing lead, Undead Priest, in charge of managing the healing members of the raid while main-tank healing. When we finally got multiple raids on farm-status, I stepped down from healing and changed to a Shadow Priest spec.  Melting faces and being a mana battery for the warlocks was so satisfying. I went on my class weapon quest-line and obtained Anathema/Benediction, at the time there were only a few class specific weapons. Again, another chance for glory.  I was so proud of running around in my epic gear, in shadowform with Anathema, it was like a badge of honor.

I do miss those days of being dedicated to not only the game, but to a guild of friends that were all looking to complete all aspects of the game to the highest level.  That time will always be remembered with fondness.  :applaud:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:16:28 am by opt2not »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:12:51 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 07:35:43 pm »
You know, given that your resume was apparently this game and some Metroid game everyone hates, I'm surprised you mention Metroid.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:21:37 pm »
I was actually kind of excited that the original Command and Conquer is getting remastered.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 09:43:26 pm »
You know, given that your resume was apparently this game and some Metroid game everyone hates, I'm surprised you mention Metroid.
Hey Metroid is not that bad of a game.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 02:19:23 am by opt2not »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 12:09:11 am »
You are saying you worked on Burning Crusade. I need some screenshots and details on what you worked on.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 12:42:08 am »
Well I’m not about to go into fine details of everything I’ve worked on in that game. Nor am I going to hunt down screenshots. Ain’t nobody got time for that! But I will say I’ve done animations for the Bloodelves and Dranae: running, jumping, attacks, emotes, spell casting, etc...as well as some of the creatures and raid bosses. My team had multiple animators, and we divided the workload of new anims evenly.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 12:51:34 am »
You don't have a video demo of your animation work?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 01:01:30 am »
I do, but it’s got my full name and contact info on it. It’s for applying for jobs...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 10:32:27 am »
One time I read an interview with the guy that worked on Suzuki 8 Hours. The SNES port. He was responsible for the tire animations. Guess it's not all glamorous.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2018, 12:04:44 pm »
Classic WOW was fun but the grind wasn't.

The grind?!  WOW had so little grind, it was shocking.  I went to WOW from EQ and was amazed at how little grind there actually was.  Level capped in a couple months, playing casually.  That was actually my problem with WOW, it was *too* easy.  Then they went and hired old EQ devs and it turned into another raid-fest...  I quit.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 03:25:04 pm »
Guess it's not all glamorous.

If you think game development is glamorous, you are in for paradigm shift. There’s no glamour in this. Just stress, frustration, and long hours, with a side of the delusion of telling yourself you’re doing this for the passion.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2018, 05:03:47 pm »
Sounds like a job.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 07:33:40 pm »
Guess it's not all glamorous.

If you think game development is glamorous, you are in for paradigm shift. There’s no glamour in this. Just stress, frustration, and long hours, with a side of the delusion of telling yourself you’re doing this for the passion.

What year was this in?

Nowadays coders want to do less for more money.   They want to use existing buggy code but do not document correctly or completely (and hide ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---), and quality?    :laugh2:

:soapbox:

The last place I was in went through several project managers in weeks not months.  They had a serious product flaw and could not find it due to the above situation.  They went to market with it too.  We had an overseas team (China) that was perfect and they did it for less money.  I cannot say all software houses are like this, but quality has recently taken a back seat and management just wants a completed project within time.  Now the glamour part I can attest to, but the coders I have met, get treated like royalty and like to go home early and not hit their baselines.  We can see this in AAA titles and smaller utilities and programmes, especially in a certain OS I can mention.

I have seen and worked in the old days, how a development team successfully integrates.  Agile was not mainstream as it is now.  There was little or no frustration as there was a clear goal to achieve.

The quality team should be a 3rd party not their lead coder.  They (the suits) say it is too expensive, I guess they allow it, so they can keep on signing off on buggy code.   I think it will get worse as time goes on or China does all our coding.   

I miss the old days when code was quality and worked extremely well.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 09:39:03 pm »
I played on a classic WOW bootleg server a few yrs back.
I enjoyed it.
I remember doing Warlock mount quest. WTF? running for 30 mins. LOL!

I just started playing after a couple yrs off.
Panderia was the last expansion I played.

I don't know WTF i'm doing now.
talents, specs, everything is different and I can't tank on my lock anymore?

web_traveler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2019, 12:37:29 am
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 05:37:16 am »
Im not play much on classic, but tbc and wotlk were the greatest patches imo, so I'm waiting the vanilla to enjoy it

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 07:27:46 am »
Im not play much on classic, but tbc and wotlk were the greatest patches imo, so I'm waiting the vanilla to enjoy it

I logged into one of my toons and he was in northrend in some giant building in the middle of nowhere and I can't remember why cause it was yrs ago.
It was an amazingly huge expansion with some amazing architecture and scenery.
not a soul from my server was in the zone.

But lots of people in The burning crusade zones.

I'll play a few weeks then not play a few weeks then play again and still try to hit keys for mapped abilities no longer in the game and die.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 08:46:36 pm »
5 days.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 11:06:42 am »
Three!

Though I don't think I'm going to even attempt playing on day one.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 12:29:38 pm »
Makes me really happy that people mention The Burning Crusade in high regard. :D

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 02:23:30 pm »
BC was fantastic.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 05:29:11 pm »
BC was a pretty great expansion. I was a shame they had to ruin the end of it with flying mounts. Instead of World of Warcraft you instantly felt the world was now small and you were now a dev who was immune to everything looking from a top down view of the game.

I am looking forward to rolling my new hunter.

I am also hopping it is the same game but I would like to see things like the draw distance between players better than it was in the past. You still hard to take point to point fast travel flying mounts in vanilla and I rember never being able to see people on the ground as you fly over the area because of the draw distance I want to be able to see everyone at all times that's my expectation now remaking and bringing back a 15 year old game.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 10:56:31 am »
Loving every minute of it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 02:45:08 am »
me to,

I forgot about all the weird things you had to do to keep your class power up.  playing a night elf hunter the first thing you have to do at level 10 is go though this pet training quest where he gives you a rod and tell you to train certain animals. So now it is some kind of pokemon game where you are running through the forest looking for these little f*cks. So now you can train your own pet and the first thing they want is to feed them meat or they will just leave you. I cant find meat anywhere on the island of Darnassus, apparently elves only eat fruit. Looked it up someone mentioned there was one elf that walked the streets in the main city that sells meat. Got that than I remembered you also needed to train your pet cat certain abilities like claw and bite. Had to look that up and to train your pet with those abilities you first need to learn the ability yourself. How you do that is find one of the few animals in the world that has the ability by default, make that animal your pet for a little bit until you learn that ability. So I had to put the pet I wanted away in the stable and run around looking for these other animals to make my pet so I could learn claw and byte.

I don't get how people learn all this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- if it your first time playing the game. I even had to ask chat how to get off the island of Darnassus, I remember a boat but I been around the whole island and I see no boat. There was a portal in the main city that takes you to the boat.