Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best cordless drill ever.  (Read 3429 times)

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
Re: Best cordless drill ever.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 03:41:13 pm »
Oh good, it has a Chuck. That's important to know when shopping for a drill.

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 04:20:31 pm »
$2.99 with coupon at Harbor Freight

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:45:41 pm »
I want to see someone use that drill under water.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 04:32:11 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 04:48:31 pm »
I have waited forever for a drill to finally come equipped with the fuselage plastic bags! Bout time!

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 05:48:09 pm »
I'll have to pass, it only has a 2 star battery :)

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 08:27:51 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 06:29:09 pm »
whats a 48VF? Did they just make that up so someone might think they are talking about 48 volts?

I actually had to just buy a cordless drill about a month ago and came across this video. Made me realize you did not have to spend more than around $60 for a good drill. Ran out and bought that Bauer one.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 07:05:13 pm »
I’ve got a Ryobi.  It’s great.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 09:55:07 pm »
whats a 48VF? Did they just make that up so someone might think they are talking about 48 volts?

I was curious what the F was for, so googled.  I think the model of the drill is 48VF.  >:D
The "Product Induction" page says 48v, but it also says the battery release is a battery start button.

AvE did a thorough teardown of the Bauer:

I ended up with Bosch because I got a deal and the jigsaw seemed superior for woodworking.
They've been flawless, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably go with a brand that had a wider range of tools.
The cheaper brands wouldn't hold up to professional use as long, but for the home user that only uses them once a week they'll last plenty long enough.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 04:03:49 am »
All my stuff is Makita LXT with the exception of the Dewalt router that was recommended to me by you lot.

Bosch make fantastic stuff but its usually heavy if you are using it all day every day.
I am a big fan of Dewalt to but Bauer is a reasonable make to.

Ide just say never cheap out on power tools to much and buy from a brand with a good range so you can just swap battery’s between multiple tools and buy body only tools.

Oh and everyone should own a multi tool.
Them things are the shiz!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 06:43:33 am »

Bosch make fantastic stuff but its usually heavy if you are using it all day every day.

True.... and the drill and driver are top heavy with 2ah batteries.  I keep 4ah ones in them so the balance feels better, but that makes them even heavier.

I hardly ever use the driver because I have a little 12v craftsman nextec (discontinued) that is super comfortable.  Sometimes I have to swap batteries to finish the job, but it works just fine for most things.  Its internals are getting loose, so I'll eventually have to decide on a new 12v system.  For driving screws into wood on small projects, the little 12v drivers are the way to go.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 08:38:18 am »
If I had a project that would beat the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of a couple power drills, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a couple of these sacrifices to have a tool with a couple fresh batteries I could always cycle between to get the job done. That said, I now usually need an impact driver as much as a drill. My world changed the minute I discovered impact drivers. That usually eliminates the knock-offs.

I try not to be a brand loyalist with power tools. Battery stuff I have the hardest time with, because you are pretty much guaranteeing a purchase with a pretty limited lifespan, you either get a brand that you can't trust the batteries to be manufactured long term, or you are funneled into repeatedly buying the same line of tools to keep a supply of fresh batteries. It has worked out for me with my Ego yard tools so far, but have tossed a ton of battery tools over the years.

The company I work for uses the Dewalt battery system. I appreciate how they have a huge line of tools with the same battery system, but I really see those tools get wrecked fast. I know they get used hard when abused on a pro level, but I still wouldn't trust them after seeing drills and saws repeatedly get knocked down for the count within a couple weeks of use.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 08:48:36 am »

True.... and the drill and driver are top heavy with 2ah batteries.  I keep 4ah ones in them so the balance feels better, but that makes them even heavier.

I hardly ever use the driver because I have a little 12v craftsman nextec (discontinued) that is super comfortable.  Sometimes I have to swap batteries to finish the job, but it works just fine for most things.  Its internals are getting loose, so I'll eventually have to decide on a new 12v system.  For driving screws into wood on small projects, the little 12v drivers are the way to go.

Impact driver is the way to go for screw driving mate.

Total game changer!

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 08:57:34 am »
Me the first time using an impact driver:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 09:22:20 am »
One time I spent an hour or more backing a broken exhaust manifold bolt out with vice grips 1/8 turn at a time.  It sucked.  Not wanting to do this with the second broken bolt, I hammered a cheap socket onto it and used the little 12v driver.  It backed right out.  Bought a set of impact sockets from HF and been using the impact drivers to loosen bolts ever since.  They may not break lugnuts loose, but have worked fine on everything else.  Saves me energy which seems to run out faster as I age.