Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I've been robbed...  (Read 3075 times)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
I've been robbed...
« on: November 15, 2018, 01:03:24 pm »
Thieving B'stds....

Today between 11am and 3pm, in broad daylight, someone broke into our garage and stole all my tools....   Table saw... gone. Router... gone.   Circular saw... gone.  Orbital sander... gone.  Jigsaw... gone.  All dewalt tools.  They must have watched us and made sure nobody was at home, then broke in the side window (newly double glazed a month ago, now completely smashed)... opened the garage door from inside, grabbed all the tools and put on (I guess) a van that they must have drove onto our drive... and buggered off.

I'm gutted, the wife is a bit shaken up but we're both mainly really angry.  About £1500 of good tools just gone, plus a window that needs replacing.  Police won't even come look since we don't have CCTV and no witnesses...

Looks like I'll probably not get my bartop finished in time for Christmas now.. we'll see, luckily most of the woodwork I have done already.  :(

I should hopefully be able to claim on contents insurance, but then of course premium next year will go up....

Grrrrrr I'm bloody fuming right now.   Next project will be CCTV no doubt... :(

I'm going for a beer...

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:30 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: I've been robbed...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:42:46 pm »
sounds like the guys who put the new windows got to see the tools you had.

The church in my town had a new security system installed, then a month later, the new security system was stolen.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:02:10 pm »
I had a somewhat similar experience.  Homeless guy was wanting some money for the bus, gave him $5 while I had my garage door open, and I have a questionable amount of goodies in there. This all happened when I was backing out of the drive, so I went around the block and the guy was trying to open the garage door.  Police called, and after a hour, waved good bye to him as the cruiser drove off.  I should have gotten my $5 back.

This got me really shook up.  Even though I have insurance, I will not get the money back on the toys I have. I added two wifi Wyze cameras I got on Amazon for $25 each that is compatible with Alexa, and had the garage door reinforced.  Do not use the wyze camera for bedroom or living room surveillance, as their IP address for some reason routes to China.  :o

Getting your tools stolen must be heartbreaking, even with home insurance you will not get them back.  Tools are very personal, most of the time it is something you bought to fix a project or it was a gift from a loved one.  I am so sorry that you were robbed, and thanks for sharing it with us.  I would check with all the pawn stores in a 50 mile radius, just in case.

Maybe this is a good time for everyone to review their home security. 

Christmas is coming and thieving scumbags have no money or ethics.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 03:51:35 pm »
That sucks.  Not just because of the loss of your stuff but just knowing someone was going through everything.  Ugh.

yo1dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 04:18:13 pm »
Damn. Sorry man. I'll drink one with ya from here. :angry: :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:24:02 pm by yo1dog »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 04:32:52 pm »
sounds like the guys who put the new windows got to see the tools you had.

The church in my town had a new security system installed, then a month later, the new security system was stolen.

100% this.  All but guaranteed.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 05:12:32 pm »
Wow Jimbo that really sucks.
Hope you catch the a-holes.
Checking pawnshops is good advice, but only an idiot would sell it in your home town. 50 mile radius would be more like it.
Also check flea markets and yard sales.
Keep your eyes open.
This makes me consider adding an alarm to my shed. My shed is 12 feet by 16 feet, no windows, and only one manual roll up door, so entry wouldnt be easy, but definitely not impossible either.
I have thought about adding a motion detector tied into a loud horn or siren, powered by a battery so if they cut the power it wont matter.
Most of my neighbors probably wouldnt pay attention to a horn going off for quite a while, but it may scare the b@stards away.

I am sorry man, I hate that things like this happen, almost as bad as the low-lifes stealing amazon packages left at the front door.

SlammedNiss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:44:54 pm
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:40:07 pm »
That sucks. Sorry it happened. While I've never had anybody break into my home, I did have somebody break into my truck shortly after moving to Phoenix, AZ. Stole my toolbox, that had nothing but window tinting tools in it (so I'm sure they were disappointed in that) but stole my amplifier and head unit. And the kicker is they stole my clear tailights. They cut the damn OEM harness too. So, I had to take a cab to a local salvage yard, buy what I needed, then take a cab back to my apt.

Thieves suck.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 05:54:32 pm »
Thank you all, guys.

I've since had a beer and reflected.  Nobody was hurt.  I'll be wiser for this and my home will be better protected in the future.

Luckily I'd brought some of my other tools (and my in-progess bartop) into the house the night before, so that wasn't stolen or damaged.

Also - and this is a little ironic, I have 4 new (old stock) Hantarex Polo 19" boxed arcade CRT monitors in there for future projects.... the thieves opened one box... took a look and decided to leave them!  That would have REALLY p***ed me off if they'd taken them!  So things could have been much worse! ;)

Anyway, I have a friend who will be helping me set up some CCTV and  we'll probably get the place alarmed now too.

But it's a good idea to check your home/workshop security.  This was totally out of the blue - I guess it can happen to anyone.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 05:56:03 pm by Jimbo »

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 03:42:59 pm »
And my wife wonders why I get mad when she leaves the roll up door wide open on our barn.  This is why.  Because I dont want to replace all my tools.   

It bums me out this happened Jimbo.

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:21:30 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 12:35:13 am »

Also - and this is a little ironic, I have 4 new (old stock) Hantarex Polo 19" boxed arcade CRT monitors in there for future projects.... the thieves opened one box... took a look and decided to leave them!

At least you know from this that nobody in BYOAC did it :)
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0