Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Combat Racing/Driving Games (Arcade Friendly)  (Read 2993 times)

jonbenderr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 07:29:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Combat Racing/Driving Games (Arcade Friendly)
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:26:45 pm »
First of all, if this is better suited to one of the software forums, I apologize.  Please move.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember some arcade combat racing games and I can't remember anything.  Surprisingly, google doesn't reveal much either.

I'm thinking things like Twisted Metal.

Dirty Driving looks amazing but I feel like the specs needed to get that running would be insane.

Things like Flatout and Burnout would be cool as well.

Are there ways to make the console based games more friendly for simple arcade interfaces?

Just curious if anyone has any input.

Thanks in advance.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Combat Racing/Driving Games (Arcade Friendly)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 03:31:11 pm »
WipEout Pulse and WipEout Pure would be good choices IMO, run from PPSSPP emulator. You don't need a beast of a PC to run PPSSPP either (which is surprising considering how amazing Wipeout Pulse looks upscaled). I'm sure there's probably some fronted friendly solution to running PPSSPP games, but I couldn't tell you myself. Did Blur ever come out on PC? That was a surprisingly awesome vehicular combat game that I enjoyed on the PS3. Like Mario Kart with licensed cars.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 02:07:06 am »
carmageddon is the Nintendo version of twisted metal if I remember correctly.  I also remember it being fairly crappy.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 10:08:37 am »
Yes, Blur came out on PC. I second this recommendation, and of the two Wipeout games mentioned, I favor Pure over Pulse, FWIW.

Is there a distinction between Mario Kart clones and vehicular combat games? If so, maybe this doesn't qualify, but I like Firebugs for the PSX.

There's a couple Wipeout-ish games in beta on Steam (the last I checked) that look promising. Ballistic NG and Slipstream GX.
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:23:42 pm »
This is the general idea of my cabinet. You can see Split second gameplay @ 17:45 Burnout @24:28. I also play Blur frequently on the cab.

Really need to do some new videos soon as I've added a flight stick to the cab as well.

codeena

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2023, 06:23:54 pm
  • This site is cool
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 01:06:42 am »
I really enjoyed this older PC game called Dethkarz.

jonbenderr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2023, 07:29:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 08:46:43 am »
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Looks like my system meets the specs for most of these games.  May have to give them a whirl.

Quote from: shaolindrunkard
Really need to do some new videos soon as I've added a flight stick to the cab as well.

Would be very interested in seeing this as I have been brainstorming doing the same.

Was thinking of getting 2 of the Ultimarc Minigrips.  Mounting one on each side of the steering wheel to then support Virtua On.  Any single stick games could be double mapped to accommodate left and right handed buddies.  I feel like this plan could get ugly though.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 12:29:12 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations guys.

Looks like my system meets the specs for most of these games.  May have to give them a whirl.

Quote from: shaolindrunkard

Would be very interested in seeing this as I have been brainstorming doing the same.

Was thinking of getting 2 of the Ultimarc Minigrips.  Mounting one on each side of the steering wheel to then support Virtua On.  Any single stick games could be double mapped to accommodate left and right handed buddies.  I feel like this plan could get ugly though.

Yeah that may or may not work. I think you want the grip sticks a little closer together for that game. Also just some advice, I already had a mini grip stick on my driving cab for navigating menus. I thought I could use it for playing games but since its off to the right its really not comfy. So I wound up adding an analog flight stick right in the center. Its removable so I can get it out of the way when playing straight driving games. I move the seat back and set up the flight stick in front of the wheel for flight games, and for games that are both driving and flight (Sonic and all stars racing transformed) I actually adjust the stick so its under the wheel so I can use the wheel when driving and then just grab the stick for the flight parts. Hard to explain, I'll try to get a video done sooner than later.