Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Exit button -- newbie question  (Read 3349 times)

mrdizle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2018, 11:36:05 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Exit button -- newbie question
« on: November 17, 2018, 10:45:11 am »
Newbie question -- sorry.

I am nearly done with my full size arcade cabinet. Everything works great. One of my last steps is to put in the coin slot. I would like the coin slot to quit the Retropie game so that the player can choose a new game in Retropie. I don't use MAME.

However, I would also like to keep a way to quit the game using a two button press (hotkey and start).

1) Is there a way to keep a two button press AND use the coin slot to quit the game with SOFTWARE ONLY?
2) I know there is a way to daisychain the coin slot to the other inputs to do it. This way seems harder. Can someone direct me please? I have a Zero Delay encoder. Four wires come from each button. Seems a little complicated this way, to connect to the coin slot wire.

Thanks very much!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:55:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Exit button -- newbie question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 04:10:29 pm »
Once we know for sure what you're working with, we can recommend an approach.   ;D

If you're not sure, post a picture of the item and we'll figure it out.   :cheers:

I am nearly done with my full size arcade cabinet. Everything works great. One of my last steps is to put in the coin slot. I would like the coin slot to quit the Retropie game so that the player can choose a new game in Retropie. I don't use MAME.
Which type of "coin slot" hardware you are trying to use?

Is it a microswitch coin mech mounted on a coin door?

Is it an electronic coin recognizer? (no microswitch ==> more difficult)

I have a Zero Delay encoder.
The ZD encoder is an "active high" device which could make the process more difficult.   :(

Four wires come from each button.
Are they like these "easyget" buttons?
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154240.0.html
This diagram shows how to wire them to an "active low" encoder.
For the ZD encoder, tab A would be 5v instead of ground.

Scott

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 05:09:50 am »
1. Not an easy way. It is either or. So the hotkey way, or a single button press. That is through the Emulationstation software though. You could write a script that looks for a GPIO button press to quit the game (you could look into the turn off scripts for the RPi).
2. You can wire the hotkey button input (from the ZD encoder) as well as the exit-button input to the coin door, so the coin mech will press both buttons. The input for hotkey on the ZD will have wires to both the hotkey button and the coin mech. Same goes for the input for your exit button (start by default). This is in my opinion by far the easiest.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 07:06:11 am »
2. You can wire the hotkey button input (from the ZD encoder) as well as the exit-button input to the coin door, so the coin mech will press both buttons. The input for hotkey on the ZD will have wires to both the hotkey button and the coin mech. Same goes for the input for your exit button (start by default). This is in my opinion by far the easiest.
microswitch coin mech
If you have both the hotkey and start inputs tied to the coin mech microswitch, you'll need something like the blocking diodes on the "Shazaaam! + X (one click)" switch shown below (diodes reversed and daisy-chain 5v instead of ground since the ZD encoder is "active high") or a DPDT switch with each input using a separate pole (maybe a double-stacked leaf switch?) or a DPDT relay.

If you don't have some means of isolating the inputs, both inputs will trigger every time one of them is pressed.

12v coin recognizer
If OP is using a coin recognizer, a 12v DPDT relay like the one that Infantsorrow used in this thread would be the easiest option.
- No zener dode needed to regulate the 12v down to 5v.
- No need to adapt the "active low" coin recognizer to work with the "active high" ZD encoder.

Scott

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:56:39 am »
Didn't know that. Thanks!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 10:46:21 am »
Wouldn't using the coin insert as an exit button cause problems in games that you want to add another coin to continue ? Since adding another coin would exit the game instead of letting you continue the game you are playing  :dunno

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 11:11:04 am »
Wouldn't using the coin insert as an exit button cause problems in games that you want to add another coin to continue ? Since adding another coin would exit the game instead of letting you continue the game you are playing  :dunno
That would be a problem for coin-op system emulators like MAME if OP was using them
I don't use MAME.

Scott

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
Coin slot is wired no different than any other input. It’s just a microswitch.

Zero delay encoder is a “joystick” encoder, not a “keyboard” encoder. I don’t think you can reprogram them either, though I could be wrong. I recommend I/Jpac. Has built in shift functionality for your double press, and can reprogram it. Being keyboard based means it will work out of the box with everything.

I would add a microswitch behind the reject button. Or swap in the novagem reject looking buttons into your coin door. Possibly the same size. Might just have to make a plate.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 03:38:28 am »
That would be a problem for coin-op system emulators like MAME if OP was using them
I don't use MAME.

Scott
I doubt mrdizle knows the difference between Emulationstation as the frontend and MAME as the emulator, as he is referring to "the Retropie game".
Newbie question -- sorry.

I would like the coin slot to quit the Retropie game so that the player can choose a new game in Retropie. I don't use MAME.