Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi (Zero or 2 or 3) Setup with Qbert and Artwork  (Read 5982 times)

jdevane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 09:27:07 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Raspberry Pi (Zero or 2 or 3) Setup with Qbert and Artwork
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:55:01 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Raspberry Pi (I have three different models, like to use the Zero but whatever) to run a Qbert only setup with full artwork (I run a 39" led tv with a custom bezel that includes the marquee and bezel as one image).  I see where others have but I'm not an avid linux operator, and I just keep seeming to hit roadblocks on something I feel should be straight forward.  I have tried using Retropie 4.4 on a Zero most recently.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I normally would just buy a cheap windows based tv box but I figured I had the Pi i would use them since this will pretty much be a one off system (you know, because its Qbert).

I don't really care if I use Retropie or not, I just figured that was the easiest and fastest way to get up and running.

jdevane

• Offline Offline
Re: Raspberry Pi (Zero or 2 or 3) Setup with Qbert and Artwork
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 07:16:30 pm »
I also like the idea of a save state so that I can reboot with high scores in place.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:05:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Raspberry Pi (I have three different models, like to use the Zero but whatever) to run a Qbert only setup with full artwork (I run a 39" led tv with a custom bezel that includes the marquee and bezel as one image).  I see where others have but I'm not an avid linux operator, and I just keep seeming to hit roadblocks on something I feel should be straight forward.  I have tried using Retropie 4.4 on a Zero most recently.  Can someone point me in the right direction?  I normally would just buy a cheap windows based tv box but I figured I had the Pi i would use them since this will pretty much be a one off system (you know, because its Qbert).

I don't really care if I use Retropie or not, I just figured that was the easiest and fastest way to get up and running.

Not sure what platform you are wanting to play from.  I would want any flavour of QBert to be accessible.  Jump from mame to 2600 etc.

Found a cool video to follow.  Hope this helps.

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:52:31 pm »
I'm trying to get this to work in Mame, any version...

The video from ETAPrime is just for scraping box art into emulation station, I want to use a bezel + marquee image to be displayed with the game is playing, like this one I whipped up...

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:23 pm »
ok, so I installed the bezel project and used it to cheap my way halfway there...  so I have mame with a generic horizontal bezel for qbert.  I've copied my png over and rotated the display in the boot/config.txt

now the game boots up and I can see it playing for a moment then it goes solid black on the screen.  I'm thinking my image is loading but because I don't have it sized for this little cheap tv I'm using the image is just covering my game playing because I can hear q bert in demo mode.  So that will be my next step.

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:59:30 pm »
I'm currently working on a Zero..   I have my image on the screen and sized correctly, although it looks pixelated even though I had to downsize it for it to fit.  But I'll worry about that later if i could just figure out now how to get the gameplay field in the bezel area.  I added something like this to the CFG file in the same folder as the artwork png.

custom_viewport_x = "469"
custom_viewport_y = "119"
custom_viewport_width = "359"
custom_viewport_height = "467"

That didn't work, so I then located a CFG in another folder and added those line to it, no change.  So right now I'm trying to track down where I need to put in my viewport settings to make it work.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 05:52:42 pm »
I got my zero W and added artwork.  Took forever downloading the art for mame4all.  Looks nice.  Nothing pixelated.

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 07:42:33 pm »
right...  but I want to use a custom bezel image I created...  I can't get the game field of the rom to appear in the center of the bezel.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 01:46:41 am »
I'm currently working on a Zero..   I have my image on the screen and sized correctly, although it looks pixelated even though I had to downsize it for it to fit.  But I'll worry about that later if i could just figure out now how to get the gameplay field in the bezel area.  I added something like this to the CFG file in the same folder as the artwork png.

custom_viewport_x = "469"
custom_viewport_y = "119"
custom_viewport_width = "359"
custom_viewport_height = "467"

That didn't work, so I then located a CFG in another folder and added those line to it, no change.  So right now I'm trying to track down where I need to put in my viewport settings to make it work.

Which configuration file?

Have a look at this and see if this will help.  Also which Mame emulator are you using?  Mame4all?

jdevane

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 07:55:13 am »
no, I'm using mame 2003.  In hopes that I could use a later version once I got it working.  I like to use the save state on exit feature to "save" my high scores, but that usually means using a newer version.  If I am correct, Mame4all is based on mame .0375 or around there and that was just too old for the options I wanted.

What I have discovered is that when using retropie, it changes things versus what normal mame would use.  I have read that link before and that is what I used to prepare my windows based machine.  If you look at the bezel project stuff, you will see that the pi stuff doesn't follow the same guidelines as the pc version does.  You are now required to have three files, your bezel.png, which uses a transparency image (like a gif), you need a romname.cfg (which basically points to the third file) and romname.zip.cfg which is where you put your bezel artwork info, which btw is also different that the link referenced.

I wish it was as easy to get working as before with the windows pc, but it ain't.  I will probably just take retropie off and install a linux os and just run the game from command prompt.  I don't expect to use this machine for more than Qbert, but it was nice having alot of elbow work completed by retropie setup.

glilly1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2019, 04:52:17 pm
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 04:52:17 pm »
FYI... I was searching for just this type of solution and stumbled across this. For future reference, a good example of "Why someone might want to do this..." I currently have 3 retropie cabinets setup with the full Emulation Station menu and a list of about 30 games each. Recently, my son-inlaw asked if they could use a couple of the games at an event at his church. So, I decided to put them in Kiosk / Kid mode but I also wanted to limit each cabinet to jut 1 game each (whichever game they want) to keep people from having to deal with menus.  I wanted a quick and easy way to set this up while at the same time I wanted to be able to revert back to my normal setup after they were done using the games.  I think the solutions on this page will work fine.

Thanks.