Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dominos pinball information  (Read 12121 times)

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Dominos pinball information
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:03:46 pm »
I just had my first experience servicing a Dominos Spectacular Pinball Adventure pinball machine made by Spooky Pinball in Wisconsin. This one came in with broken flippers and pop bumpers that were "machine gunning". Found broken return springs (Williams # 10-364) and a blown 3 amp slo blo fuse up on the cpu board. That got the flippers working again. The pop bumper problem which was occuring on all 3 pop bumpers was caused by all three spoon switches being stuck closed! After adjusting the gap on those spoon switches, everything was normal again.

I can't believe how cheap Spooky Pinball is in that they leave out essential equipment needed in servicing their machines. For instance, this is what's NOT included in the machine:

1. Manuals/schematics. Not even available on their website!

2. Prop rod to hold up the playfield. You have to pull the playfield all the way forward and lean it against the backbox. To work on the flippers, I have to stand on a ladder! F that!

3. No service outlet to plug in your soldering iron.

After photographing much of this Dominos machine and writing down tons of stuff, I've managed to create quite a bit of repair information regarding Spooky Pinball machines. It's all posted over at pinwiki:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Spooky_Pinball_Repair

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:06:51 pm by Ken Layton »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
Re: Dominos pinball information
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 02:10:48 pm »
Some pictures of the Dominos machine. Most parts are Williams assemblies except pop bumpers are Data East and slingshots are modern Stern assemblies.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:18:01 pm by Ken Layton »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 01:35:38 am »
More pictures. EDIT: even more pictures.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:46:56 pm by Ken Layton »

jennifer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:34:55 am »
I have never had the Pleasure/Displeasure of ever even seeing one of these machines much less servicing one,  However, it does have a certain charm Jenn would find endearing, although the whole thing seems to be a Frankenstein best of the tried and true, even down to the cab itself (Although I would find it strange the never incorporated the fliptronics) beings its apparently mostly a Williams knockoff. And hurried to the finish line by cutting a few corners... It would take someone whos been around a few different cabs (over multiple years) to even know what their looking at much less reverse engineer it given the lack of service information. It certainly would be a poor choice (IMO) for somebody's first love. Thx Ken for showing that beast off.... FWIW, if you do go up on that ladder don't wear a short skirt, any bystanders will try peeking at your bloomers ::).

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:34 am »
FWIW, if you do go up on that ladder don't wear a short skirt, any bystanders will try peeking at your bloomers ::).
Ken knows how to trick that kind of nosy bystander.

He doesn't wear bloomers.  jk    :laugh2:

Scott

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 12:07:07 pm »
You shouldn't really be using the prop rods, IMO. 

I've played this game and actually enjoyed it.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 12:52:09 pm »
This machine has a lightweight playfield. I need a prop rod when working on the flippers and this machine certainly needs a prop rod. I can't pack a step ladder around with me plus I get dizzy standing on ladders and have fallen off the ladder a few times.

The only machine I would advise never to use the prop rod is Twilight Zone. The playfield is so heavy (especially at the prop rod hole in the playfield) that I've seen the playfield nearly snap in half under it's own weight.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 03:11:25 pm »
This machine has a lightweight playfield. I need a prop rod when working on the flippers and this machine certainly needs a prop rod. I can't pack a step ladder around with me plus I get dizzy standing on ladders and have fallen off the ladder a few times.

The only machine I would advise never to use the prop rod is Twilight Zone. The playfield is so heavy (especially at the prop rod hole in the playfield) that I've seen the playfield nearly snap in half under it's own weight.
Properly working flippers need servicing so little I would have to be of the opinion it is what it is, and to the heck with the poor shlub who has to work on it ....However, in the interest of making it something it is not, Well, It would be a big job after the fact (to do it correctly) That divot was milled before assy. so removal of the playfield and elaborate jigs would be in your future (not to mention disassembly of the ball guide and associated hardware).... It does seem to have a Williams overtone and possibly a slide rail system could be added without much fanfare but the cost/time would far outweigh the benefits. (IMHO).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 03:14:54 pm by jennifer »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 12:43:47 am »
From what I heard from the owner of this Dominos machine, it's only a year old and the flippers broke 6 months ago. They tried to fix the flippers themselves and ---fouled up beyond all recognition--- it up. After letting the machine sit broken for another 6 months, they decided to bring it to me for proper repairs.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 08:17:24 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 06:13:37 am »
6 months? No warranty?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 12:23:58 pm »
This machine is located way out in the sticks. The owner had to transport it 100 miles to bring it to me for proper repairs. He owns 33 Dominos restaurants (with several new ones opening soon). He dropped it off on the way to another Dominos location 40 miles north of me. When he picked up this machine, he was taking it to Seaside, Oregon to use at the grand opening of a new Dominos restaurant there.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 01:03:29 pm »
6 months? No warranty?

This machine is in commercial use. The manufacturer's warranty is only 90 days.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 01:11:52 pm »
They really have a lot of confidence in their product. ::)
Is that standard in the industry?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 10:50:00 pm »
Yes, 90 days is standard warranty period for pinball machines.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 11:48:44 pm »
They have one out at Banning
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 04:41:35 pm »
Well, Spooky is small. I mean a very very small manufacturer. They started this up back in 2014 and Dominos was released in 2016. It was a contract manufacture. They didn't think "you know what? We should make a Dominos Pinball machine!" No Dominos came to them.

Spooky isn't a bad manufacturer, quality wise they are one of the best, this is just such a poor example because of the situation. Contract manufacturing can be a real crap shoot with pinball machines because random companies like Dominos probably don't have a clue how much it actually costs to manufacture pinball machines. And was probably shocked at the final price. And from there they had to start cutting things so that everyone was happy. Do you think that making only 140 machines and selling them at $4000 isn't going to be a complete ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- show?

I doubt you would see any of those things missing from a Total Nuclear Annihilation. I know for a fact that when Scott Denesi made the first version of the machine to shop it around to manufactures both Stern and Spooky wanted it. Scott had things in that machine that made no business sense but were cool like a total surround sound overkill stereo system in the game. Long story short Scott went with Spooky because Spooky didn't cheap out on any parts of the machine. In fact they even included that crazy speaker set up. That is one reason why TNA sounds so damn good next to any machine around it. If anything Stern the leading manufacturer of pinball machines (and it isn't even close) has been releasing games with less and less mechs, and toys. This helps them maximize profits.

Stern just released the Beatles pin... this was a Contract manufacturing job from Kapow inc who make mostly Slot machines. They will release only 100 diamond edition pinball machines. The average price distributors are asking?? $25000!!! That is right! Crazy! And better yet, Stern took an older game called Seawitch and reskinned it and added a spinning disk and a magnet and released it. So there is a place for contract manufacturing. It all depends on who the contract is with!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »
They really have a lot of confidence in their product. ::)
Is that standard in the industry?

That is what is in writing... however these companies bend over backwards if there is a defect or something keeps breaking. Charlie the owner of spooky is extremely nice and would do anything to help anyone out on a spooky pin.

And just for the record... Spooky only has released 3 purely in house spooky games, Americas Most Haunted, Rob Zombie, and Alice Coopers Nightmare Castle. Total Nuclear Annihilation was a partnership with Scott Denesi. The Jetsons and Dominos were contract manufacture.

The Pinball Company is an online retailer of pinball machines and they hired spooky to do the Jetsons last year. Only make 100 units. The goal was to keep the price below $5000 so they could be easily sold to families. However since Spooky and The Pinball Company didn't want to cut costs they had to make a basic game and the selling price for the Jetsons was $6000. So it looks like Spooky had learned it's lesson on Dominos and refused to release inferior products to save a buck.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:48:03 pm by Ian »
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 05:24:07 pm »
Seawitch is on that list of "probably shouldn't have sold it" machines.  Maybe they'll do something with that updated playfield besides The Beatles.

:dunno

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 05:34:11 pm »
Seawitch is on that list of "probably shouldn't have sold it" machines.  Maybe they'll do something with that updated playfield besides The Beatles.

:dunno

What games do you have?

Chicago Gaming company is releasing these remakes and driving the market down. No longer can you sell an Attack for Mars for $9000 when you can get a new remade one for $6000. Reskins and remakes are knocking prices down. I bet you could get some good money still for the Seawitch! It's hot now, as is Fathom.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 10:17:57 pm »
You'd think Spooky would at least include a manual and schematics in the Dominos for us service techs to use. They should have included score/instruction/pricing cards too. How much could those have costed?

In fact, very little information about Dominos and the Jetsons are on Spooky's website. Since Dominos is my first experience with a Spooky product, I am very under-whelmed. First impressions do count and judging by Dominos, I would likely tell people to not buy Spooky products.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 03:54:23 am »
 Jennifer carefully choses her words here... But... I cant see where that would matter much to someone with some experience. Any service girl worth her salt would have bins full the crossbred parts its made up of anyway making the engineering and design more of a match and patch. effectively making the manual less and less usable at every turn of the screws, a baseline for supplements at best.... To some sorcery I would suppose but it is just another machine after all.  .

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 05:36:41 am »
People that fix things for a living don't want to have to hunt around for information any more than necessary. Time is money.

Judging by the knowledge Ken displays in his posts, If he says that stuff should be included I would go with that.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 02:12:50 am »
People that fix things for a living don't want to have to hunt around for information any more than necessary. Time is money.

Judging by the knowledge Ken displays in his posts, If he says that stuff should be included I would go with that.
I don't understand you dude, People who fix things for a living know considerably more than the minimum necessary, anyone worth there salt would know EVRYTHING possible about what is their livelihood, And the more they know the more time they save...What Ken is alluding to I would assume, would be it would be nice if that machine had a manual, a prop rod, and was closer to his shop, because he does know its a crossbred machine made up of parts from different manufactures, and reality would dictate as with every Mame machine ever built is that manual would be impractical and of little use anyhow...Once he gets past the fact, its a ugly machine to work on,  And He will,  and will do it well most likely, He will also posses the knowledge of more than just getting by, and be one of the chosen few on the subject....Go buy a welder and get to work!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:16:26 am by jennifer »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 12:05:10 pm »
This Dominos machine is a completely new hardware system to me. I've never seen a Spooky machine before. There were no schematics at all. The manufacturer didn't even have a coil chart. What if there were a coil problem? What driver transistors would I be looking for? What wire colors would I be following in the harness? What connectors would it go through? A complete manual would save considerable time not only for me in troubleshooting/repair, but also in keeping costs down for the customer too. Although this particular customer didn't care what cost was, other customers don't have money to burn.

Over at Pinwiki, all that had existed for repair information on Spooky machines was one sentence: "Spooky uses the PinHeck system." That really doesn't help much at all. So that's the reason I took a crap load of pictures and started writing down a bunch of stuff. I put together as much information I could from my own experience on the Dominos machine and what I could get from the manufacturer's website. Go take a look there now:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Spooky_Pinball_Repair

I did all this in hopes that it would help someone else in the future who has to work on a Spooky made machine. Now I see that the newest Spooky machines (Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle and Total Nuclear Annihilation)  now use another completely different hardware system than what Dominos and Jetsons has.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 10:20:42 pm »
This is all I could find...

Lamp Matrix
https://www.spookypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dominos-Lamp-Matrix.pdf

Switch Matrix
https://www.spookypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dominos-Switch-Matrix.pdf

Wiring Chart
https://www.spookypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DOMINOS-WIRE-TO-BOARD.pdf

My point still stands. Spooky has a reputation for quality work. Sure a couple of his older machines I am sure are a pain in the butt. Ben Heck made a hacked board to do what he needed to do to run Americas Most Haunted. That is what the Pinheck system is.

I assume the newest games don't have that board set anymore because Ben Heck doesn't work for Spooky anymore. I am sorry you are having problems Ken. Did you try their customer service?

For tech support help, contact Chris at service@spookypinball.com

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 10:33:04 pm »
Too late. The machine is long gone and back on location about 200 miles from me.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 05:51:02 pm »
Too late. The machine is long gone and back on location about 200 miles from me.

Well sorry you had a bad experience.