Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CRT flickering when set to wrong resolution  (Read 1627 times)

help

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 05:35:19 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
CRT flickering when set to wrong resolution
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:27:38 pm »
Hi, we are working with a trisync monitor in a DDR cabinet and are trying to upgrade the hard drive in the computer it is attached to. In the process, we installed Windows 10 and forced the desktop resolution to 640x480. When the resolution is not set to this, the monitor flickers and makes arcing noises. Even though we were able to set the correct resolution and it works fine once it gets to desktop, the Windows 10 boot screen (with the spinning dots) is not 640x480 (I am assuming this is the problem) so the flickering occurs until it gets past that screen.

My questions are:

Is this screen flickering potentially damaging to the monitor?
Is there any way to either disable the boot screen or change the resolution of the boot screen of Windows 10?

I tried GUI boot off in boot menu options, but the problem continues.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
Re: CRT flickering when set to wrong resolution
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 04:40:24 pm »
Is this screen flickering potentially damaging to the monitor?

Yes.

Is there any way to either disable the boot screen or change the resolution of the boot screen of Windows 10?

Yes: ATOM-15
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

help

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 12:35:06 pm »
The issue isn't the bios screen, but the Windows 10 splash screen. Will this apply to that too?

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 04:50:06 pm
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:30 pm »
The issue isn't the bios screen, but the Windows 10 splash screen. Will this apply to that too?

Yep. I recently flashed an XFX HD 4350 and the image syncs on my TV all the way from power-on to the Windows 10 desktop displaying.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

help

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:46:35 am »
Is this something crt emudriver would also fix? I am kind of wary of flashing a rom that could brick my graphics card

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:29:44 pm »
Search the GroovyMAME subforum on here, and google too, for your model of GPU and Atom15. Try a few variations like "Brand-of-GPU-and-model Atom-15", "GPU-model atom15", etc. See if anyone is having problems. If not, pull the BIOS and patch it. If that part works, you can probably safely flash it to the card. Think about a backup plan as well though. See how much the cheapest card you could get is, like a Radeon 5450, remembering that you need it in the first PCIe slot, and the bricked GPU in the second. Then you simply flash the original bios back the card, because you backed up a copy before you patched it :)