Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wells Gardner D9200 (27") Issues  (Read 4254 times)

vrocco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2019, 07:40:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wells Gardner D9200 (27") Issues
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:26:35 pm »
I recently bought an old Golden Tee Live 2009 cabinet with the intention of turning it into a MAME machine. It had a CRT in it which I believe to be a Wells Gardner D9200. Googling the numbers at the bottom of the chasis brings up several posts about D9200s and my monitor looks pretty much identical to the one seen in this youtube video ().

I have two issues that I have been unable to figure out after searching. I'm hoping to get some assistance with them. I am very new to this and don't know much about CRT repair or troubleshooting, but I am somewhat competent with basic electronic skills (soldering, metering, etc) and maybe above average with computer skills, just to give you a baseline.

First issue, the picture is tilted pretty severely to the left (i.e. right side is higher than the left side). The monitor is mounted squarely, just the picture is off. The neckboard appears to be on straight. I have tried turning a couple of the pots on the board, but nothing changes. I also tried to use the attached menu board (four momentary buttons), but can't get any sort of adjustment menu to come onscreen. The "SELECT" button seems to degauss, but none of the others do anything.

Second issue, I can't seem to get a working picture from my computer. I am running Windows 10 with a GeForce GT710 GPU. I have tried setting the resolution to 800x600 and 640x480 (both of which I think the monitor supports) but I only get a brief BIOS bootscreen and then the CRT says "OUT OF RANGE". I'm not sure if I need something like Soft15kHz or an EDID dongle?? I'm hoping someone can give me some troubleshooting steps to try.

Thanks in advance for your help. If I left out any info that is needed, please let me know.

vrocco

• Offline Offline
Re: Wells Gardner D9200 (27") Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:04:40 pm »
OK so I figured out why the picture was crooked. Forgive me for not knowing the correct terminology of these pieces, but the plastic ring that attaches the yoke(?) to the tube is just kind of free floating there. If I rotate it, the picture becomes straight. I assume it isn't supposed to be this way and should be secured in some manner, but I can't see how. There are white plastic screws in each corner with a hex opening on them, I assume these would tighten it in place, but do they need to hook to something on the other side? I can't get my head far enough in there to see. I guess if I have to pull the whole monitor out, I can, but I was trying to avoid that if at all possible.

I also ordered a Radeon card to replace my Nvidia and have been reading up on crt_emudriver. So hopefully that issue will be resolved shortly as well.

Any tips for securing the loose part I described above?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:17:05 pm by vrocco »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:30:34 am
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:40:01 pm »
do you have a photo of the bit that is not fixed

vrocco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:42:19 pm »
Yes, if you look at the attached picture, the green arrow shows the grey plastic piece that seems to be loose. This is what I rotated to get the picture straight again. Maybe worth noting is that when I turn this piece, the neckboard does not rotate with it. Neckboard has been straight the entire time.

The red arrow shows the white screws on each corner that I referred to in my post above.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 10:18:13 pm »
there is a hex head clip that holds the body of the deflection yoke to the neck, don't over tighten or the neck will fracture

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:35:11 pm »
ok forgot to mark where it is, i have circled it

vrocco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 11:01:25 pm »
That's helpful. Thanks. I'll snug that down.

Do the white screws do anything I should be concerned with?

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 02:45:19 am »
no don't touch them, the yoke must butt up tight to the tube as well

vrocco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 08:06:22 pm »
On closer inspection, here's the issue. It appears that the black plastic part that the arrow points to in the attached pic was once secured to the clamp you indicated. I can still see pieces of the plastic under the clamp. However, everything attaching the pieces under the clamp to the rest of the body appears to have broken at some point now the copper coil in the back of the yoke is just resting on the clamp which is why it moves freely.

How hard of a repair is it to replace that black plastic piece? Or does the whole yoke need to be replaced? Can you help me with where to find parts?

Thanks again for the help.

Incidentally, I figured out the video issue in my original post using a Radeon card and crt_emudriver. It now displays video and looks pretty good which is why I'd like to repair it if possible instead of replacing it.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:02:14 am »
you can remove the deflection yoke and glue it-you would probably need to supergule the internal and araldite the external parts of the yoke body
quite worrying that the yoke has fractured

vrocco

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 02:24:14 am »
Quick update on this. I removed the yoke to see if it could be glued and I think it is beyond gluing. The plastic is all cracked away (see attached pic) and not in a piece or two, but probably 30 tiny little shards of plastic. At this point, I think replacing the yoke is the best option. I found one on ebay in Australia but the shipping is a killer. Anyone know a source in the US for parts like this?

Thanks

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:20:10 pm »
might be worth asking wells gardner directly

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 09:40:06 pm »
The D9200 and the D9400 series all had bad yokes which broke in the same manor just like yours.

smalltownguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2023, 10:48:26 am
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 03:37:26 pm »
How about some pics of the cabinet?
Man, will my cab EVER be finished?