Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Seeking advice on modding an X-Arcade  (Read 1624 times)

MCTS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:54:30 pm
Seeking advice on modding an X-Arcade
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:59:32 pm »
Hello, all,

[Update:  After some more reading, I've decided to go with a couple UltraStiks instead of the Mag-Stick and MiniGrip.  That changes some of the details on how the sticks will be wired into the system, but I still learned a couple things from the responses to my original questions and I appreciate the responses.]

While I admire the skill of folks who can build their own arcade cabinets or control panels, I have neither the ability nor the patience to do the same.  Instead, I've looked for pre-made controllers and have over time picked up an X-Arcade Dual Joystick and a Tankstick.  From reading posts here and looking at the controls that are available on-line, I've convinced myself that I can probably modify one of the X-Arcade units without destroying it or maiming (no pun intended) myself.  I have a decent idea of what I want to accomplish, but also have a couple questions and am open to suggestions from people who obviously know way more about this than I do.

My goal is to update one of the X-Arcades to include two spinners (for Arkanoid, Tempest, Major Havoc, Tron and [2-player] Warlords), and replace the two XGaming joysticks with one switchable 4-way/8-way and a trigger joystick.  The components I'm leaning toward are
   1 Mag-Stick Plus (with Ball Top)
   1 MiniGrip Stick
   2 TurboTwist 2s

I considered SpinTraks for the spinners, but it looks to me like they'd each need a dedicated USB connection, but the TurboTwists can share one USB.  This isn't a show-stopper if the SpinTrak has other considerations that make it better than the TurboTwist 2.

From what I've read, I think the Mag-Stick can swap into the X-Arcade without needing any special work on the case.  I'm hoping that's also true for the MiniGrip, but am not certain.  For the spinners, I'll take out two buttons and reuse those holes (I think I could manage drilling new holes if necessary, but taking out the buttons may also help with the next part...).

The plan gets really fuzzy when I consider the two buttons on the MiniGrip.  If there's a simple way to connect the button wires to reuse the wiring for the two buttons that will be coming out to make room for the spinners, I'm good to go.  That's my first real question in this post:  Has anyone else put a MiniGrip into an X-Arcade, and if so how did you connect the button wiring?

The other question is just a request for any other advice that you may have.  I've been thinking on this for a while and have learned a lot just from reading about other people's builds, but I'm sure I'm overlooking something and I welcome any input that you folks may have.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:19:56 pm by MCTS »

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Seeking advice on modding an X-Arcade
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:46:10 am »
I don't believe you will have any issues reusing the buttons as long as they are not already used in game.  Not sure if you have enough room for the Minigrip.

I am guessing you have the usb version CP.  A powered usb hub should fit in there nicely for the spinners.  Not sure about the compatibility with other consoles, but the PC should be fine.

I would build my own control panel, than modify a Xgaming rig.  That is how most of us start out.  You can easily add a pedestal to your CP and go from there.  ;)
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

MCTS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 07:30:46 am »
Thanks for the reply.  Responding to your points in reverse order:

I would build my own control panel, than modify a Xgaming rig.  That is how most of us start out.  You can easily add a pedestal to your CP and go from there.  ;)

That would certainly give me more flexibility over the choices, but my skill/comfort level ends at swapping components and using a power drill.  If this works out well, it may give me the incentive to try something more ambitious later but it would be an even bigger learning curve for all the woodworking aspects.  I look at the pictures of what people here have built and I'm simultaneously awed and shamed.

I am guessing you have the usb version CP.  A powered usb hub should fit in there nicely for the spinners.  Not sure about the compatibility with other consoles, but the PC should be fine.

Yes, the CPs are USB.  I agree that a hub should handle the problem of so many separate cables, and I'll add that to the concept.  (Especially since I'm now looking at the UltraStik 360's as options for the two sticks, and it looks like each of them would have their own USB connector...)  Compatibility with consoles isn't an issue for me.

I don't believe you will have any issues reusing the buttons as long as they are not already used in game.  Not sure if you have enough room for the Minigrip.

I think the height of the MiniGrip base will fit, but the mounting panel may not be an exact match for the Xgaming sticks.  For the buttons, I figure I can reduce or eliminate the risk of ID collision if the MiniGrip buttons are wired to the CP connections for the two Xgaming buttons that come out to make room for the spinners.  What I'm not sure of is the best way to make that connection -- I can solder if needed, but would prefer not to cut the quick-connects off the wires that lead to the existing button switches if I can avoid it.  If I can get connectors like the flat prongs that come out of a button switch (to put on the ends of the MiniGrip wires), that should work.

As I mentioned above, in the time since my first post I've done more reading and am now wondering if U360 sticks (one Ball Top, one Flight Stick) would be better.  I like the tactile feel of the physical restrictor for 4-way play (hence original plan for the Mag-Stik), but the programmability of the U360s would make them more versatile for games I haven't considered.  From what I read about them, I gather that they can be wired to accept / forward button inputs, so if I use them it may be worthwhile to move many of the existing button connections off the Xgaming CP and over to the U360s.

Thanks again for your input.  I think I need to take a break from reading web sites or taking notes and actually play a few games. :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:06:39 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:45:37 pm »
I can solder if needed, but would prefer not to cut the quick-connects off the wires that lead to the existing button switches if I can avoid it.  If I can get connectors like the flat prongs that come out of a button switch (to put on the ends of the MiniGrip wires), that should work.
No need to cut the 0.187" quick disconnects (QDs) off the existing wiring.

Make three of these Male-Female Y-extensions. (2 for button inputs and one for ground)

You can crimp the mini-grip wire into whichever QD you prefer.

mini-grip wire
                                                 \
0.187" Male QD ------------------  0.187" Female QD

Connect the extensions between the original wiring and the button microswitch.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:48:10 pm by PL1 »

MCTS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »
Thanks!  I hadn't considered splicing the MiniGrip into the button lines; I just figured I'd remove/disable two buttons.  This is a better plan, and now I know what wiring parts to look for.

[As I added to the original post, I've decided to go with a couple UltraStiks (a Ball Top and a FlightStik) instead of the Mag-Stick and MiniGrip.  The wiring for the FlightStik will be different than for the MiniGrip, but I still learned a couple things from the responses to my original questions and I appreciate the responses.]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:21:52 pm by MCTS »