Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Lightgun Testing - What would you like to see?  (Read 37289 times)

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
New Lightgun Testing - What would you like to see?
« on: November 08, 2018, 07:09:06 pm »
Ok Guys I said a few weeks ago I had some interesting opportunities coming up regarding lightgun tech.
Well this weekend I am meeting up with Andy Sinden (The guy behind the Sinden lightgun), He is allowing me to have a play with his product and do some tests etc. He has asked me as I live within a reasonable distance and has realized I am a light gun whore which you all know :p
I think he is looking for some feedback as well as allowing me to try this out first hand as a independent reviewer.

Now I have a list of stuff I would like to test out and games to try but what would you guys like to see?

• I am obv going to be checking how well it tracks both from normal in front positions but also while being off at angles etc
  • Try to test it out on a CRT if I manage to track a working one down before Sat.
  • Be trying to work out min distances from screen
  • Emulator/PC game compatibility
  • Effects of light and reflective surfaces
  • Effects of lag

Now obv we will be constrained in terms of what I have available in terms of equipment and time but is there any burning questions you would like me to ask or things to test out (if possible)?

I was hoping I could maybe do a side by side with my A51:S4 cab but allas mame does not emulate S4 properly yet so thats a no go.
I also dont have a capture card so everything will be filmed via a standard cam.

We will be capturing video footage and maybe some stills etc but I obv have to be respectful of his IP if there are things he does not want in the public domain yet.

Any who I think this is a great opportunity to try this hardware out and give the guy some help in terms of positive feedback along with any improvement or limitations etc.

So yeah let me know if you have anything.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: New Lightgun Testing - What would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 05:56:15 am »
I wish someone who wasn't so happy with their Aim-Traks was testing it.

Move the gun around a lot during play.  Make sure MAME has been set up properly.  People complain about lag on positional gun games when they haven't even adjusted sensitivity or dead zone.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 05:57:40 am »
If you have a go pro, mount it on the gun looking down the sights.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 07:05:20 am »
Cheers for the vote of confidence there!
:s

To be clear I am happy with my AT’s because they do the job and are better than anything else on the market that I have tried (and I have tried nearly all of them).

No they aint as good as a real light gun but they are far better than all other IR guns.

I do have a small go pro style camera which I can hopefully tape on.

Was planning on playing point blank as that moves the gun around and tests accuracy better than any other game I can think of.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:59:15 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 08:31:22 am »
I think if u can get hold of a crt to test that would be handy to see how it handles (or doesn’t!) the curvature of the screen

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 08:52:57 am »
Sadly despite my best efforts I have been unable to acquire a VGA CRT monitor (God knows I have tried the last 2 weeks!)

However Andy has asked if he could use my CRT TV that I use for my old console games and hook it up to a Pi.
Of course this is fine by me but we will not be able to test any games as it is not supported yet by the Pi yet.

But he thinks we should be able to prove in principal if it would work or not if it will track.
I will of course update you all with that one.

I have also knocked up a sort of camera harness that I can strap to my wrist so hopefully you will be able to see the sights with any luck, I may not be able to though on the other hand haha!

I am also planing on doing some comparison videos with Aim traks and My GCON 45. I did want to do some with my site 4 cab however the tracking mark on the screen does not correlate to where the gun is pointing (always low and right despite the gun shooting centre!) plus it is very hard to see on camera.

I will be doing those videos on my own though after Andy has gone as time will be short to play with the sinden gun which is obviously the main interest. Plus I want to try and test as many variables as possible.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 10:05:44 am »
1. Accuracy using only the the gun sights (no on screen cross hair) as mentioned earlier.
2. Possible to use with a projector screen and the accuracy there?
3. Any way to produce just a mouse click as a background program?  (For use as a generic input to any program.)

Apologies if any of those have been answered but I'd like to hear it from an independent tester.  Thanks!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:50:08 am »
1. Accuracy using only the the gun sights (no on screen cross hair) as mentioned earlier.
2. Possible to use with a projector screen and the accuracy there?
3. Any way to produce just a mouse click as a background program?  (For use as a generic input to any program.)

Apologies if any of those have been answered but I'd like to hear it from an independent tester.  Thanks!

1) Yup we will be doing that for sure.

2) I will test with a projector if we have time but he has told me he has proved it with a projector himself so at least that is a known worker lol

3) Can you explain that a bit better? Not sure I understand?

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 12:00:55 pm »
As a generic mouse click: For instance this would allow you to play any of the web based games out there that you would normally use the mouse cursor to shoot with.  If this 'lightgun' could just act as a standard mouse click in the OS it would open up lots of options without needing specific integration with a particular program.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:02:35 pm »
As a generic mouse click: For instance this would allow you to play any of the web based games out there that you would normally use the mouse cursor to shoot with.  If this 'lightgun' could just act as a standard mouse click in the OS it would open up lots of options without needing specific integration with a particular program.

It emulates a standard mouse as far as I am aware so this should be standard but I will confirm :)

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:11:17 pm »
Awesome, thank you.  :cheers:

P.S. More of a question for the dev than a test: Will this be available as a kit for the guts to mount in our own shell?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:12:56 pm by SammyWI »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:45 pm »
Awesome, thank you.  :cheers:

P.S. More of a question for the dev than a test: Will this be available as a kit for the guts to mount in our own shell?

I know he had considered this, Again I will ask no problem :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 05:16:12 pm »
Try something with small sprites like duck hunt or the tin can section of Hogan's alley.  Be sure to try it with the crosshairs off. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 07:15:49 pm »
Try something with small sprites like duck hunt or the tin can section of Hogan's alley.  Be sure to try it with the crosshairs off. 

I know he has done a video with duck hunt before but I will try hogans alley for sure.

Here is a link to the duck hunt video btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=128&v=GhgzUVu-fHU
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:21:12 pm by Titchgamer »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 07:29:44 pm »
Ask Sinden if he ever considered doing a bluetooth/wireless solution for his guns. Something un-tethered and better working than the AT would be incredible!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 07:46:14 pm »
Ask Sinden if he ever considered doing a bluetooth/wireless solution for his guns. Something un-tethered and better working than the AT would be incredible!

I certainly will :)

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2019, 08:10:59 am
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 10:27:54 pm »
I've seen his videos. I'm interested in price and what the chances are it actually sees manufacturing.
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 01:59:18 am »
Let me ask: is this an open hardware or a commercial product?
I like open hardware and software sooo much

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 03:15:59 am »
I've seen his videos. I'm interested in price and what the chances are it actually sees manufacturing.

I think that will depend on the support and interest it can generate.
He tried to do a kick starter but made a few mistakes so it never got funded.

Let me ask: is this an open hardware or a commercial product?
I like open hardware and software sooo much

I will ask this, He seems pretty keen on building a community up behind it so it may become open in the future?

But I will check! Good q!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 09:21:27 am »
Most important thing is to move around and not hold it stationary while only pivoting the barrel.

Also simulate tall player, short player, etc standing in different spots with no recalibration in between.

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 09:59:36 am »
I would also like your honest assessment with this gun vs aimtrack. Like I said, I watched a couple of his videos (even before I made the other thread here), so it was definitely on my radar.

I'm just worried about the possibility of it ever seeing the light of day. Do you know if he is willing to make guns for people by request (if it doesn't get supported). Which again that would depend on whether or not you think it's better than aimtrack (at least for me anyways). I'm trusting your opinion 👍
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 01:54:45 pm »
Ok guys Andy has just left and there is sooo much info to try and convey!

So firstly I want to say thanks to Andy if he happends to read this for traveling over to my house and bringing his stuff for me to play with.
He has been here for around 5 hours and in that time it has been pretty much non stop light gun games!
As you will probably imagine my shoulders are killing and now physically and mentally tired so I am not going to even think about sorting through video footage at this time but I will do a quick write up of our findings, pro, cons etc.

So I will start with some of the basic questions that have been asked and that I myself had:

Distance from screen ratio: We have been unable to fully test this so no confirmed numbers at this time but initial tests would seem to indicate approx 1 1/2 times the screen size minimum.

Does it work on a CRT? YES! We managed to fully prove this today and video footage will follow! :D

Does it work on other emulators other than MAME? Yes!! Today we have been playing on MAME, Demul, Sega M2 and a few others.

Does it suffer any tracking loss at the edges of the screen? Yes and No.
This is something we have played with ALLOT throughout the day with me really being picky about it!
Directly in front of the TV regardless of height or position the Sinden lightgun tracks beautifully all around the outside edge of the screen and through the middle I could move around without issue. However standing at angles to the TV it does bring in some horizontal movement, Not as much as the AT's but its still there. Interestingly its more noticeable in the middle of the screen than the outside edges.
Andy accepts that this needs improving and thanked me for pointing this problem out and will now be working on his algorithm to improve this.

Do lights or reflections affect the Accuracy? I personally never witnessed any evidence of this, But Andy admits that during heavy sunlight etc this can be a problem due to the white out effect. But as I said this has not been a problem for us today with lights on or off, Near my glass display cabinet or with the conservatory door curtains being open.

Any Lag? Nope not that I noticed! There was lag with the cursor following my sights when I was doing tracking tests but in terms of actual shooting and the games no. Only some slow down of the actual games themselves on occasions but that is obviously another matter.

Will it be sold as a kit? At this time, No but more on that shortly....

Will it be wireless?  Andy hopes to make this a possibility in the future and believes it will be possible. However the investment for this would be substantial as all the processing is done via the PC at this time, So it would require some form of micro computer to be installed in the gun itself.

Recoil? Being looked into but not at this time.

Will it be a open source project? Not at this time no. Because of the time and financial investment he has currently put into this he obviously needs to make some money back from it (hence no kits yet) BUT his dream is to make this open source eventually and allow more people and devs to inprove the code, mount in their own guns, develop games for etc etc etc.

Price? - Currently unknown but he is aiming to produce this at as fairer price as possible to allow everyone to afford it.

Does it click like a mouse? Yes it emulates a mouse fully.

Will he be custom building them? Not at this time, He really wants to get this thing to market for everyone to be able to enjoy light gun games. He plans to launch a 2nd kick starter in the not so distant future but has learned from his mistakes and wants to get more content out there first, more people trying it, public showings etc etc.

So there is the answers to your Q's I hope.

Next the actual product, So Andy brought his original prototype with him to show me and the new one he has had custom built and designed.
He has asked me not to take any pics of his current prototype as he wants to reveal that as part of a big reveal himself but i can say its very nicely designed with some very cool features that I have never seen on any other light gun! It is lefty or righty friendly and feels very nice in the hand.

As you will recall from his original videos the gun requires a white defined edge border to work, He has developed a method of short cut keying this as a overlay so it will work for other emulators or with hyperspin etc. It is still a work in progress getting it to work fully but what I have seen of it today is good. It also is adjustable in the config program he has designed for it.
He explained to me that sometimes you need a thicker border for it to correctly work in say harsh light etc but the border used today for most of the games was quite thin and did not subtract from the experience. When we did run a thicker border it sometimes overlapped part of the game screen but this is again something he is working on to be able to window the game inside the border.

So how does it work? Well really damn well to be honest, Videos can not do this thing justice. There are some issues such as the horizontal movement when at angles and the over lap border but remember this is still in prototype development at the moment.
We found trying to video it "in action" was really damn difficult as when I had a camera infront of the sights I could not see wtf I was shooting at (had to guess) So I have some footage of that but it does not do it justice tbh.
I also have some tracking footage of taking a cursor around the screen however watching it back now I fecked up and forgot to move around! But as I stated earlier vertical movement has no effect just substantial horizontal movement like standing at 45 degrees to the TV etc.
Possibly one of the most impressive things about it is the calibration, Because it is calibrated to the white border you can literally plug it into any screen and it will be pretty much spot on! I was playing virtua cop on my 42" LCD and I was able to literally turn 90 degrees and continue playing on the tiny laptop screen to the side of me! Really was very impressed by that! So yeah dual screen shooting could be a thing! Not sure how that would be used yet but ya know devs....
Accuracy wise as I said above once calibrated as long as I stayed within the horizontal confines of my 42" screen I had no issues I could play point blank and I have not missed one of those 1 shot 1 target games at all today, Even the one with the camera mounted behind!
Needless to say the only time I have had a cross hair turned one is when I was doing the tracking experiments all the playing has been done without the crosshairs.

We took a screen capture of Sega sports shooting as well with me playing which I will post up once I have the energy.
I have never played this game before today (or even heard of it) But the accuracy required and the speed was substantial with small and large targets.
I will say now I sucked at it but we did jump straight in the deep end on master difficulty!
Again no cross hairs were used as you will see and I was approximately 100" away from my 42" screen while playing so it was very frantic but I think it really shows what the gun can do.

I admit now that we fecked up and didnt really start doing videos until we had been playing for around 4 hours by which time my arms feel like they were gunna fall off so my shooting started getting sloppier as we went on....

But yeah I will be happy to answer any Q's in the mean time until I get the videos up but this is a real thing guys, It works really well and with some interesting extra possibilities!.

It destroys the Aim traks in terms of accuracy and the features (Yup I just said that....)

Also Andy is a really really nice guy, He has a genuine love for light gun games and really knows his stuff.
He is literally improving on his software on a weekly basis and wants to make it work with everything from a Pi to the original hardware.
So I am really excited to see where this goes in the future because I think it could be really big.

I feel genuinely honored to of been considered for this sneak peak and asking my opinions (which he was very receptive of both positive and negative!)

Sorry I have been waffling for far to long now and will stop there haha.

Watch this space ppl.....

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 04:34:43 pm »
Sounds great!!! I want to buy one!!!
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 05:53:47 pm »
Sounds great!!! I want to buy one!!!

Get in the que :p

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 06:32:09 pm »
Sounds very positive. I do like my aim traks even though they're nowhere near as accurate/easy to use as my act labs were (I was a fool for selling them) 

Is this not something he could get help from ultimarc/ggg from? Those guys must have some of the knowledge/backing that he needs to bring these to market?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 06:42:47 pm »
Sounds very positive. I do like my aim traks even though they're nowhere near as accurate/easy to use as my act labs were (I was a fool for selling them) 

Is this not something he could get help from ultimarc/ggg from? Those guys must have some of the knowledge/backing that he needs to bring these to market?

Yeah I really like my AT's (no secret there) But using the Sinden gun today really did blow them out of the water in terms of performance.
Playing the sega sports game the way I did would of been damn near impossible with the AT's I think due to the accuracy that was required over the distance. It was basically speed target shooting which I have not done for some time and made me realize how out of practice I am LMAO.
Admittedly I only got to play through that twice, Once just to see how the game worked and once I recorded the screen capture.
But also as I mentioned earlier my arms were like jelly by that point, I did a video of be playing point black with the cam strapped to my wrist, its a terrible video tbh but you can really see how much I was shaking by that point! I will prob post that up the next few days just for a laugh!

As for the other companys, Not sure, Guess its a case of how open they would be to a collaboration?

I just shoot them got no business skills LOL

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Flipping out
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 07:04:02 pm »
If they're as good as you say they are then hopefully the next Kickstarter will get further. Just seems like he needs a fair amount of cash injection to get these thinks through prototyping and marketable. A good light gun that just works is probably the last remaining controller that hasn't been perfected so you would think it would do well. There's certainly a lot more light gun games then there are trackball/spinner and people seem willing to spend ££ on those.

I truly wish the guy well and hope he can pull if off. If it makes it to production then I'll buy one. Make it work with recoil and wireless and I'll empty my bank account.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 08:35:54 pm »
Personally, I think to reduce cost and speed up release time I would be ok with just a pcb that we can put into a shell of our own choosing.  Making it wiimote-size would be best so all of those cheap wiimote gun shells could be put to good use.  As for recoil, an output line that could power a relay or ect.  would be fine with me.  Xinput, Force Feedback, even serial.... mamehooker supports it so the software end is already taken care of. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 01:52:49 am »
Yeah originally his kick starter included the money for development and production.
Obviously since then he has taken the development costs on himself.

The recoil thing although easy to do in terms of wiring and software in practice I think is quite difficult to pull it off well.

From my experience there are 3 basic types:

Rumble motor style
Blow back style
Solenoid style

Each have pros and cons but IMO the rumble motors are not really recoil, The blow back style have always been naff and prone to break.
The best feeling one is the solenoid but thats also the one that tends to suffer most from heat issues.

We had a pretty decent convo about it, And I got the impression that he really wants to include it but not at the expense of the product in general.
He also wants to make sure it feels right.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 06:50:00 am »
Arcadeguns.com had shells made for the Aim-Traks and sold them as complete guns before Ultimarc did.  They could probably be partnered with if he didn't want to worry with having shells manufactured.

If he does another Kickstarter, it needs to do a much better job showing how well the guns function.  Video of him sitting on a couch or screen capture of gameplay doesn't show the product working.

Does the bullet go exactly where the gun sights are pointed regardless of how tall/short the player is or whether they move a foot or two off center while playing?  That is the question.

The other question is if Ultimarc will release the more accurate dual sensor bar firmware they already sell for commercial use as soon as this gun hits the market?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 07:41:55 am »
Arcadeguns.com had shells made for the Aim-Traks and sold them as complete guns before Ultimarc did.  They could probably be partnered with if he didn't want to worry with having shells manufactured.

If he does another Kickstarter, it needs to do a much better job showing how well the guns function.  Video of him sitting on a couch or screen capture of gameplay doesn't show the product working.

Does the bullet go exactly where the gun sights are pointed regardless of how tall/short the player is or whether they move a foot or two off center while playing?  That is the question.

He has made a custom design for the shells which is really good,  Like I said he wouldn't let me take any pics of that to show you guys yet as that is part of his big reveal but yeah its got some interesting features and its really comfy.

As for KS yeah he has learnt his lessons there, He is planning to do lots of videos showing different games in different environments etc.
We never had time to hook it up to a projector but he showed me a video he did with him playing on a very large projector screen (around 12ft wide not sure of the actual screen size) which was good.

Here is the quick one we did of it working on my CRT TV upstairs just to wet the appetite:

The gun shown in that video is his original prototype mounted into a GCON 45. His newest prototype is in the new custom shell and has a different camera lens which allows it to be used much close to the screen.
Just to clarify that was not being used as a min distance though, it was just comfortable to sit in that position when playing lol

But yeah as long as you stayed within the confines of the screen width the differing height was not a issue (He is very tall and I am very short lol) and we were swapping the gun between us and moving around a bit.
As I mentioned above when you went outside of the screen width (stood at 45 degrees to the TV) it did suffer some horizontal shifting, Only minor considering the size of the TV and the distance involved but it was noticeable.
He is going to work on improving his algorithm to improve on that.

When I get the screen capture edited and uploaded that will give you a good idea of how accurate it can be as some of the targets are very small.
Unfortunately by that time I was tired and making silly mistakes but it should give a good idea that the bullet was hitting where I was aiming (rightly or wrongly :p) I was also swapping hands and shuffling about allot to try and stop myself cramping up but you obv dont get to see that :p

I think Andy did start to record me on his phone at one point though while I was doing the screen grab so a video of that may emerge I dont know haha.

SammyWI

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 11:45:56 am »
Glad to hear that it works well.  Looking forward to the vids and I'll probably end up backing the new kickstarter.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2018, 01:45:23 pm »
Yeah originally his kick starter included the money for development and production.

The recoil thing although easy to do in terms of wiring and software in practice I think is quite difficult to pull it off well.

Rumble motor style
Blow back style
Solenoid style

Each have pros and cons but IMO the rumble motors are not really recoil, The blow back style have always been naff and prone to break.
The best feeling one is the solenoid but thats also the one that tends to suffer most from heat issues.

We had a pretty decent convo about it, And I got the impression that he really wants to include it but not at the expense of the product in general.

Well what I meant was he could just give us an unpopulated output and then we could source a solenoid ourselves and install it.  Imho a solenoid is the only way to go as it's the only thing that would make the appropriate "thump" on pistol games while still being able to rapidly fire for games like operation wolf. 

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2018, 02:33:37 pm »

Rumble motor style
Blow back style
Solenoid style

Well what I meant was he could just give us an unpopulated output and then we could source a solenoid ourselves and install it.  Imho a solenoid is the only way to go as it's the only thing that would make the appropriate "thump" on pistol games while still being able to rapidly fire for games like operation wolf.

Agree with you regarding the solenoid thing.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 08:38:15 am »
Sorry guys my video editing sucks as much as my video making LOL

But here is the screen capture I promised, Again I was physically tired at this point so please excuse my poor performance but as you will see no crosshairs, small targets and good accuracy by the gun (not so much by the guy holding it lol)

And the tracking test, Again apologies I forgot to get up and move!

Easybeatuk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2023, 01:54:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 06:18:00 pm »
I am very interested in this as I am also a light gun nut as well and I've been on mission this year to pull together a list of every light gun game across every platform and test them out using Aimtrak's. The one thing I have noticed is a lack of extra buttons meaning access to a keyboard for credits, start etc, I managed to wire in a few more to make 7 on the Aimtrak but having them built in would be excellent. 5 covers nearly all the emulators with the basics and having 2 extra program specific buttons is very useful.
Fire
Reload
Credit
Start
Exit
Programmable
Programmable

Also I moved the position of the reload button on the Aimtrak back towards the trigger as opposed to the front, this is more inline with how I like to hold the gun and is similar to the Guncon 2.

Incidentally I've managed to find 560+ games (300 working) across around 30 platforms but I'll set up a separate topic on that later in the week.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 02:01:25 am »
Have to say that tracking looks incredibly delayed. Like 500ms+ delayed.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 05:04:29 am »

Yes the tracking is delayed visually but the shooting itself is not as far as I could tell playing fast games like point blank was fine.

One of the videos Andy posted had a crosshair he could not turn off and it was following his shots around the screen with a visual delay.

Something to do with the mouse speed settings in windows maybe?
Not sure.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:08:59 am by Titchgamer »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 05:18:04 am »

Yes the tracking is delayed visually but the shooting itself is not as far as I could tell playing fast games like point blank was fine.

One of the videos Andy posted had a crosshair he could not turn off and it was following his shots around the screen with a visual delay.

Not sure.
If it was a positional gun game, it could be that the sensitivity in MAME's in game menu was left at the default.  Increasing the sensitivity gets rid of the lag on mounted potentiometer basee guns anyway.  The option isn't there for true light gun games, but there still might be a global setting somewhere affecting it.

Mouse settings in windows will also have an effect unless multimouse(raw input) is enabled.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2018, 05:22:41 am »

Not sure.
If it was a positional gun game, it could be that the sensitivity in MAME's in game menu was left at the default.  Increasing the sensitivity gets rid of the lag on mounted potentiometer basee guns anyway.  The option isn't there for true light gun games, but there still might be a global setting somewhere affecting it.

Mouse settings in windows will also have an effect unless multimouse(raw input) is enabled.

It was Point Blanks service menu that test was done on.
We never played any positional games tbh never even thought about them but as you say they take some pissing around to get working right!

My guess it was the mouse settings.

I will post up the point blank footage if you guys want but it did not come out well as you can only see the back of the gun and 2/3 of the screen lol.