Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: “Goliath” CNC  (Read 14073 times)

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
“Goliath” CNC
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:03:11 pm »
Looks very promising:

1.) $1,490
2.) 0.1mm precision
3.) portable
4.) virtually unlimited cutting space
5.) auto z-axis calibration
6.) they are working on an app to control through your phone

Anyone else heard about this?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: “Goliath” CNC
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:31:30 pm »
No rigidity. Slow. Pass.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:44:27 pm »
That does look interesting.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 07:45:27 pm »
No rigidity. Slow. Pass.

Maybe, but it’s a hellavua a lot faster than I can cut, a lot more accurate, and the price is right. :dunno

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:00:36 pm »
No rigidity = inaccurate. What happens when one of those wheels rolls over wood chips thrown out by the bit? Not to mention rolling over all of the sawdust. No dust collection? Do you have any idea how much sawdust a CNC machine spews out?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:27 pm »
No rigidity = inaccurate. What happens when one of those wheels rolls over wood chips thrown out by the bit? Not to mention rolling over all of the sawdust. No dust collection? Do you have any idea how much sawdust a CNC machine spews out?

I had the same thoughts but they address those concerns on their website, plus they claim 0.1mm accuracy.  The wheel design is pretty interesting, allows movement in all directions.  It will be interesting to see reviews once it is released for sale.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 09:19:01 am »
Where did you see that $1,490 price?  It doesn't appear to be for sale yet.  I did see a price of $350 mentioned online but it looked unofficial.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 09:50:32 am »
Where did you see that $1,490 price?  It doesn't appear to be for sale yet.  I did see a price of $350 mentioned online but it looked unofficial.

$1490 was the original Kickstarter price but those are sold out now the price is $1750 and they say the retail price is suppose to be $2890 - SO it's not $1490 !  :cheers: ( And $1490 on a kickstarter that may never materialize is kind of a big risk - It's already made their goal by a long way ( currently at $1,072,544 - Hopefully they don't just dissapear like so many other kickstarters have done !

THeir Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2130625347/goliath-cnc-an-autonomous-robotic-machine-tool-for
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:56:06 am by JDFan »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 09:58:47 am »
I hope you like breathing sawdust. Every square inch of whatever room you work in will be covered in it. That is after the sawdust spends time floating through the air getting sucked into your lungs and your HVAC system.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 11:10:22 am »

$1490 was the original Kickstarter price but those are sold out now the price is $1750 and they say the retail price is suppose to be $2890 - SO it's not $1490 !  :cheers: ( And $1490 on a kickstarter that may never materialize is kind of a big risk - It's already made their goal by a long way ( currently at $1,072,544 - Hopefully they don't just dissapear like so many other kickstarters have done !

THeir Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2130625347/goliath-cnc-an-autonomous-robotic-machine-tool-for

It seems a bit pricey for what it is.  The concept is clever though.  Seems like eventually they could develop something with dust collection.  Having something that doesn't fill up your shop when you are not using it would be appealing.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 12:03:42 pm »
It seems a bit pricey for what it is.  The concept is clever though.  Seems like eventually they could develop something with dust collection.  Having something that doesn't fill up your shop when you are not using it would be appealing.

Looks like they are already having a bunch of people thinking it is not going to deliver (the initial 61 units were supposed to ship back in August and they still have not received word on when it will actually begin shipping so a lot of the backers are asking for refunds etc. and not getting anything but a contact from their attorney if they want a refund - and it looks like they have moved the delivery date back a year ! - ( Not positive since most of the updates a for backers only but from the comments it would seem they are not delivering and are delaying delivery dates by a year or more and still taking orders (even though they collected over $1,000,000 on a $90,000 initial goal ) and have not delivered a single unit yet.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 12:12:22 pm »
Gee.  A Kickstarter implosion and money grab. Unprecedented. :laugh2:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 12:23:43 pm »

Looks like they are already having a bunch of people thinking it is not going to deliver (the initial 61 units were supposed to ship back in August and they still have not received word on when it will actually begin shipping so a lot of the backers are asking for refunds etc. and not getting anything but a contact from their attorney if they want a refund - and it looks like they have moved the delivery date back a year ! - ( Not positive since most of the updates a for backers only but from the comments it would seem they are not delivering and are delaying delivery dates by a year or more and still taking orders (even though they collected over $1,000,000 on a $90,000 initial goal ) and have not delivered a single unit yet.

Yeah that doesn't sound too promising.  Do Kickstarters ever end well?

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 01:34:15 pm »

It seems to have worked out pretty well for the 6 people that designed this one ! ( Though a million dollars doesn't last that long these days !  :laugh2: )

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 01:50:19 pm »

It seems to have worked out pretty well for the 6 people that designed this one ! ( Though a million dollars doesn't last that long these days !  :laugh2: )

Ha!  Good point.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 02:40:19 pm »

Ha!  Good point.

And figure for Kickstarter themselves they all work out just fine as long as they make their funding goal - since they get their percentage as soon as funding is reached no matter what happens after that ! (kickstarter gets 5% of the total and their payment processing company (Stripe) gets another 5% on every project that reaches it's goal !) - So they have no incentive to change anything !

michelevit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2019, 01:46:18 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 02:50:14 pm »
it takes a good deal of force to push a router through wood. I'm not sure how those wheels get enough traction to overcome the force while maintaining accuracy.
it also takes a good amount of force to maintain a straight cut while the router wants to steer in the direction of bit rotation. Everything tells me this device won't work, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

michelevit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2019, 01:46:18 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »
How do the wheels navigate over previously cut areas? I have so many questions.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
It doesn't work. They burned through a million dollars of other moron's money and have not shipped anything.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 06:30:49 pm »
My bad on the pricing, over looked that bit, JDFAN is correct.

Definitely not going to do the kickstarter, but I'm also not going to write it off before it comes out.  Opendesk seems to think it's legit as they wrote an extensive article on it:
https://www.opendesk.cc/blog/goliath-cnc-a-robotic-tool-for-every-workshop

I'm just dreaming of the day when I can setup a machine from doing the work on a CAD program and come back a few hours later and everything's cut out.  Maybe this is it, maybe it isn't :dunno

They do address the issues with previously cut grooves and sawdust buildup on the kickstarter page and on the Opendesk article, and supposedly it's not an issue:

"Thanks to radio frequency communication, the sensors continuously update the position of Goliath relative to the work area, 100 times a second. This feature ensures the target accuracy of 0.1 mm (0.004 inch)"

"The omnidirectional three-module wheel design, ensures that two rollers are always in contact with the panel. In so doing, Goliath's movement isn’t affected by grooves or profiles that have already been cut, because at least one roller is always in contact with the panel."

The majority of dust and debris is pushed aside or rolled over by Goliath's omnidirectional wheels.

We have put Goliath CNC through testing to confirm that this does not affect the precision of the robot."

For this hobby cutting a 6ft+ height panel on a home CNC as far as I can tell would be $5,000+ on a traditional CNC bed so even if it's half the price and does a really good job seems interesting to me.  Maybe it's a flop, maybe not, but got me excited.....

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 07:12:35 pm »
For this hobby cutting a 6ft+ height panel on a home CNC as far as I can tell would be $5,000+ on a traditional CNC bed so even if it's half the price and does a really good job seems interesting to me.  Maybe it's a flop, maybe not, but got me excited.....
If you're looking for a less expensive and verified good CNC machine that can handle 4' x 8' sheets of MDF or plywood, check out the recently updated Lowrider 2.

Rough estimate on cost is about $500 + whatever spindle you want to use.

Scott

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 08:57:30 pm »
If you're looking for a less expensive and verified good CNC machine that can handle 4' x 8' sheets of MDF or plywood, check out the recently updated Lowrider 2.

Rough estimate on cost is about $500 + whatever spindle you want to use.

Scott

Very interesting, I’ll have to look into that, thanks Scott.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 11:41:56 am »

I'm with MikeA on this one.  My machine weighs over 1500lbs, and it still isn't quite beefy enough to do some of what I would like it to do.  There's a reason why the demos show mostly thin stuff being cut, and light passes on wood.  This, IMHO, is a fiddly "tech geek" toy that will probably leave you wishing you invested the money in something more practical.