Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Moire effect / wavy lines on some resolutions  (Read 16299 times)

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
Re: Moire effect / wavy lines on some resolutions
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 09:03:21 pm »
Is the ringing around the sprite edges something really all around the sprites or just on the right side, like a shadow?

Sorry to threadjack but I have the exact issue you described with a TV that I recently RGB-modded (right-side shadow that trails any sudden change of contrast or color).

Interested to hear your theory if you had one...

Paradroid, a few possibilities, but sounds like the TV is having a little trouble responding to voltage level changes. Do you have any "blooming" (slow to change when screen goes from very bright/dark/vice versa) and geometry issues (between dark/light areas) as well?

I'm guessing that you have already 75-ohm terminated the RGB lines and put a capacitor on the end, near the jungle IC? Your capacitor is probably a 0.01 - 1uF ceramic?

If you are using 0.01 or 0.1uF you might find that changing the capacitor value up a little helps, up to 1uF ceramic. If that doesn't help, try putting an additional cap (this time an electrolytic, start from 1uF or 10uF and work up from there until 680uF or so) in-series on each RGB line, before the ceramic cap. Positive towards jungle (negative towards nearest ground).

If that gives no joy, try attaching the negative lead of the electrolytics directly to ground and seeing how that goes (this will also help filter AC interference).

This cap combo will help to keep the voltage levels more constant. The electrolytic will hold more charge but release it "slowly", the ceramic will hold less charge but release it quickly. With the right mix, this helps your TV to respond better, more smoothly anyway, to voltage changes.
Check out my completed projects!

Sublevel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2019, 04:49:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 03:58:31 am »
OP reporting back here. I did some more testing and found some interesting results. I hooked up some of my consoles (SNES, PC Engine, PS1) to the Nanao trying different games/resolutions and NONE showed neither the moire or the ringing effect. The picutre quality was absolutely glorious! A nice, stable picture without any noise or interference. It was fantastic to see what this monitor actually is capable of. I hooked up the consoles like this:

Console > RGB Scart > Sync Strike > VGA cable > Extron RGB unit > VGA out (buffered) > JPAC > Jamma harness > Nanao monitor

So i guess the issue is not the monitor? I have also noticed on my GM computer setup that i get the moire/ringing even on the Windows desktop (640x480) before launching Groovymame. So i feel the issue is either the computer/components itself or a CRT Emudriver issue. Things i've already tried regarding the computer:

Moving it away from the Astro City/Nanao monitor
Tried plugging the PSU into different wall sockets
Tried a different PSU
Tried three different GPUS (one HD 4350, two 5450s)

Here's a video of the moire:
https://ufile.io/ihz8c
Only 480p, why i don't know.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 05:28:30 am »
Have you tried passing the VGA from your PC through the Extron and then into the JPAC?

Also, have you always tried this through the VGA output connector of the video card? Have you tried using the DVI-I connector through an adapter, instead?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:33:59 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2018, 06:24:04 am »
Have you tried passing the VGA from your PC through the Extron and then into the JPAC?

An excellent idea, guessing the Extron must be filtering a lot of noise out of the signal.

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:35 am »

Also, have you always tried this through the VGA output connector of the video card? Have you tried using the DVI-I connector through an adapter, instead?

Yes and yes. No difference, still moire/ringing present. Trying the DVI-I ouput with a dvi to vga adapter was one of the first thing i tried. Guess i could try it again with a different adapter.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:46 am »
Those DVI/VGA adapters are just straight pass-through passive adapters anyway (the analog VGA signals for RGBs are all there already on the DVI-I head, the adapter just passes these through to relevant VGA pins), so don't expect to any big difference from using one of those when the Extron does nothing.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 11:21:50 am »
Those DVI/VGA adapters are just straight pass-through passive adapters anyway (the analog VGA signals for RGBs are all there already on the DVI-I head, the adapter just passes these through to relevant VGA pins), so don't expect to any big difference from using one of those when the Extron does nothing.

Yeah but usually the DVI connector is mounted right on the pcb while the VGA connector uses a ribbon cable to the pcb that is more prone to interferences, that's why I suggested that.

Sublevel, I'm out of ideas. Do you have another computer to try with? If possible without an AMD card/CRT Emudriver.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2018, 02:49:03 am »
I (kind of) did my homework before getting into all of this and made sure all the GPUS i was going to use did not have the ribbon cable for the VGA output. All of them are mounted on the pcb directly. I do not wanna mess around with my main computer so no, i do not have another one to do tests with. I guess a complete format / re-install is all there is left to try right now.

Thanks all for the input. Will report back.

pakoman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:02:29 am
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2018, 04:26:39 am »
You don't need to do a complete format, just can try Groovyarcade or boot from an USB drive. For testing this should be more than enough.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2018, 05:34:35 am »
You don't need to do a complete format, just can try Groovyarcade or boot from an USB drive. For testing this should be more than enough.

Yeah, good point.
Steps to create a log:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2018, 06:04:18 pm »
I'd suggest bypass or decoupling capacitors for the signal lines to remove noises, similar to what I mentioned for Paradroid above, but wonder why/if the Extron hasn't done this already.

Which brings us back to dot-pitch for phosphor clusters, resolution mis-matches and your Nanao tube.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2018, 08:58:21 pm »
I'd suggest bypass or decoupling capacitors for the signal lines to remove noises, similar to what I mentioned for Paradroid above, but wonder why/if the Extron hasn't done this already.

Ground loop isolators can also be helpful with such problems. Would be an expensive experiment if you couldn't arrange to borrow one first though...
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2018, 09:22:06 am »
Once again, thanks for the input!

I was about to give up when it dawned on me. I just couldn't understand why i got an interference free signal connecting my consoles to the Nanao so i did some more testing. It turns out my Scart switch (Hydra) has some kind of low pass filter which makes the signal clean when outputting the consoles to the Nanao. So when i include the scart switch in my computer / Groovymame setup i get a nice, clean picture! Yay!

So the question now is: is there any other kind of low pass filter device/circuit i can include in my GM setup, so that i dont have do chain it together with my scart switch?

Like: GPU > VGA cable > LPF > JPAC > JAMMA harness > Nanao

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2018, 10:25:54 am »
So the question now is: is there any other kind of low pass filter device/circuit i can include in my GM setup, so that i dont have do chain it together with my scart switch?

Funny you should ask this - I almost wanted to suggest you put a low-pass filter on each of the RGB lines, but didn't want to get too complicated.

A simple low-pass filter would involve a resistor in-series and then a capacitor to ground (negative to earth, away from display). I'm really not sure what values you would need to use - maybe start with something like 75 ohms resistor and 220uF capacitor. Electrolytic is probably best as they pass AC current better. The cap value might need to be even higher like even 1000uF or more,  but start with 75R/220uF.

PCRGB----->-----RESISTOR---------------|-------DISPLAY
                                                           |
                                                      CAPACITOR
                                                           |
                                                       GROUND

PS - This sounds fussy, but is really quite simple and a lot cheaper than an Extron!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2018, 12:34:28 pm »
A more robust approach might be using a video-amp IC such as the THS7314 or THS7316. These have a low-pass filter built into them. You can also buy tiny little PCBs to mount them on!

It is very simple. Check out the retrorgb article on how to set them up and use:
http://retrorgb.com/thsamps.html

You'd need to get the IC, the PCB mounting board, a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor and three 75 ohm resistors. I'm not sure which IC (THS7314 or 7316) would be best for you. You can read the discussion on the site (and on shmups forum) and decide... or get both, and try them out.

I think the most appropriate place for this would be between PC VGA out and JPAC. You can get 5v to power it from VGA pin 9 (or from USB or make up a molex connector).

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2018, 04:01:58 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion! I think i'll go with the THS7314. So just to clarify, i need to splice a VGA cable and then add the amp in the middle?

GPU output > vga cable *amp* vga cable > JPAC?

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2018, 04:10:59 pm »
It turns out my Scart switch (Hydra) has some kind of low pass filter which makes the signal clean when outputting the consoles to the Nanao. So when i include the scart switch in my computer / Groovymame setup i get a nice, clean picture! Yay!

Serious?! So, you finally solved the issue?! Awesome.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2018, 08:45:11 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion! I think i'll go with the THS7314. So just to clarify, i need to splice a VGA cable and then add the amp in the middle?

Yes. You'll still want the JPAC (or a video amp) to boost the signals to the 3-5v expected for an arcade monitor.

Even with the retrorgb instructions, I'd go a bit further than that and follow the diagram (figure 2) on page 6 of the datasheet at
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ths7314.pdf

This means putting both a 0.1 - 0.01uF ceramic cap AND a 22uF - 100uF electrolytic cap between 5v and ground near the Vcc in pin, as shown in that diagram. This will help filter AC interference from your power input.

I would also suggest adding termination resistors (75 ohm seems a good starting choice) onto the IC's RGB inputs, again as per that diagram (figure 2). Terminate them to video ground.

I am slightly concerned that the THS7314 outputs amplified video signals in the 0 - 2vp-p range (roughly doubled, 2V/V) so that it can supply inputs to 2 receivers at once. However, I think that the JPAC can handle those inputs and still give consistent outputs. I also note that between the 75 ohm load resistors on the video outputs, and 75 ohm termination resistors on your display or JPAC, you get a voltage divider that will cut voltage by half anyway. If you want to try to reduce the signal output levels anyway, you should try to do it at the inputs rather than the outputs. But I would just give it a go first.

Finally, I suggest you get a few of these ICs and the little PCBs, so that you can scrap and start again if needed.
Depending upon your skillz, you might want to try the AC-coupled circuit (figure 3) as well. Hopefully you have a range of capacitors and resistors lying around too.

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2018, 06:43:10 am »
It turns out my Scart switch (Hydra) has some kind of low pass filter which makes the signal clean when outputting the consoles to the Nanao. So when i include the scart switch in my computer / Groovymame setup i get a nice, clean picture! Yay!

Serious?! So, you finally solved the issue?! Awesome.
Yep, found a solution at least  :D Now i can fully enjoy my Groovymame cab! GM is such an awesome emulator.

Yes. You'll still want the JPAC (or a video amp) to boost the signals to the 3-5v expected for an arcade monitor.

Even with the retrorgb instructions, I'd go a bit further than that and follow the diagram (figure 2) on page 6 of the datasheet at
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ths7314.pdf

This means putting both a 0.1 - 0.01uF ceramic cap AND a 22uF - 100uF electrolytic cap between 5v and ground near the Vcc in pin, as shown in that diagram. This will help filter AC interference from your power input.

I would also suggest adding termination resistors (75 ohm seems a good starting choice) onto the IC's RGB inputs, again as per that diagram (figure 2). Terminate them to video ground.

I am slightly concerned that the THS7314 outputs amplified video signals in the 0 - 2vp-p range (roughly doubled, 2V/V) so that it can supply inputs to 2 receivers at once. However, I think that the JPAC can handle those inputs and still give consistent outputs. I also note that between the 75 ohm load resistors on the video outputs, and 75 ohm termination resistors on your display or JPAC, you get a voltage divider that will cut voltage by half anyway. If you want to try to reduce the signal output levels anyway, you should try to do it at the inputs rather than the outputs. But I would just give it a go first.

Finally, I suggest you get a few of these ICs and the little PCBs, so that you can scrap and start again if needed.
Depending upon your skillz, you might want to try the AC-coupled circuit (figure 3) as well. Hopefully you have a range of capacitors and resistors lying around too.

Thanks, i'll take that into consideration. I've ordered a couple of ICs, caps and resistors and will report back later. This will really test my skills as the most advanced solder work i've done so far is soldering a 3v PSU to pin 16 on a SCART cable..  :-[ 

Evewalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2018, 09:17:03 am
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2018, 04:16:01 pm »
Great to hear you figured out a solution, Sublevel.  I've been playing with all sorts of applications for the same problem with no luck, so thanks for figuring this one out.

Let me know how your construction of the amp goes!

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2018, 07:21:36 am »
A more robust approach might be using a video-amp IC such as the THS7314 or THS7316. These have a low-pass filter built into them. You can also buy tiny little PCBs to mount them on!

It is very simple. Check out the retrorgb article on how to set them up and use:
http://retrorgb.com/thsamps.html

You'd need to get the IC, the PCB mounting board, a 0.1uF ceramic capacitor and three 75 ohm resistors. I'm not sure which IC (THS7314 or 7316) would be best for you. You can read the discussion on the site (and on shmups forum) and decide... or get both, and try them out.

I think the most appropriate place for this would be between PC VGA out and JPAC. You can get 5v to power it from VGA pin 9 (or from USB or make up a molex connector).

I'm gonna power it from an USB port on the computer. Can i use that same USB cable to ground the THS7314?

Great to hear you figured out a solution, Sublevel.  I've been playing with all sorts of applications for the same problem with no luck, so thanks for figuring this one out.

Let me know how your construction of the amp goes!
Well, the solution i know works for now is via the scart switch. Let's just hope a LPF IC like the THS7314/16 works just as well. Will keep you updated!  :)

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2018, 07:41:14 pm »
I'm gonna power it from an USB port on the computer. Can i use that same USB cable to ground the THS7314?

Yes, you'll need to. They don't mention it on the retrorgb page, but I think you'll want to hookup your video ground directly to the PCB ground as well. If you have termination resistors on the inputs, ground it to video ground but connect video ground to the PCB ground. For the RGB signals to move through the circuit there must be a current return path to the PC, and forcing it to go through USB ground could cause unwanted interference.

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 09:11:20 am »

Yes, you'll need to. They don't mention it on the retrorgb page, but I think you'll want to hookup your video ground directly to the PCB ground as well. If you have termination resistors on the inputs, ground it to video ground but connect video ground to the PCB ground. For the RGB signals to move through the circuit there must be a current return path to the PC, and forcing it to go through USB ground could cause unwanted interference.
So, not including caps / resistors something like this?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 10:58:05 am »
So, not including caps / resistors something like this?

Yes, just like that :D

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2018, 04:27:40 am »
Wow, this was way more difficult than i thought. The IC/board is so small and the VGA wires so thin! I do not have the skills/tools for this kind of soldering. I'll have to ask someone to make one fore me  :-\

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2018, 11:37:33 am »
Wow, this was way more difficult than i thought. The IC/board is so small and the VGA wires so thin! I do not have the skills/tools for this kind of soldering. I'll have to ask someone to make one fore me  :-\

:) I had hand surgery about 3 months ago and was back to soldering within a day, with my left hand still in a splint.

I was going to get a bunch of these ICs and give it a go anyway, mostly because I want to try them in a RGB=>YPrPb (component) circuit I've been building to use with modding TVs that can't be RGB modded. That is to say, I've been YPrPb-modding TVs.

My RGB=>component circuit already works. I have been using three C945 transistors for the signal amp stage, but these THS7314/7316 ICs would be much neater and the signal filter may improve my picture quality. I'm interested to see results with both kinds of the chip. The THS7314 may be better for Low-pass filter purposes.

That's my long way of saying... if you don't mind waiting, I'll happily solder up one of these retrorgb RGB amps, test it and send you one! ;D

Unfortunately I don't have them on hand, so I'll have to order and wait for delivery (most likely from China). My last package of electronics from China, which arrived a few days ago, took about 7 weeks to get here. Normally packages don't take that long, but they commonly do take 2-3 weeks or so and we are coming into Chrismas. Just so you know what to expect.

I see that some people are selling these on ebay for N64 RGB mods. The one below looks nice and neat, SMD design on custom PCB using the THS7316:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-N64-RGB-Amp-THS-7316-7314-upgrade-mod-kit-NTSC/153258549660?hash=item23aeebe19c:g:W3AAAOSwS5JbcZvl:rk:21:pf:0

They would also work for PC or anything with more-or-less standard analogue RGB signals. Amplification might not be enough for arcade monitors, but that's not an issue with a JPAC. I'm interested to give it a go anyway (ie no JPAC etc) because I've been having issues with my Ultimarc video amp boosting signals *too much* for certain arcade monitors of mine.

UPDATE: Just found this on ebay, a THS7314 already soldered onto a tiny PCB chip:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-THS7314DR-7314-ON-DIP-ADAPTER/321292514333?epid=0&hash=item4ace86b41d:g:xFoAAOSwFHZap5px:rk:7:pf:0

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 12:55:35 am by Zebidee »

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2018, 09:47:49 am »

:) I had hand surgery about 3 months ago and was back to soldering within a day, with my left hand still in a splint.

I was going to get a bunch of these ICs and give it a go anyway, mostly because I want to try them in a RGB=>YPrPb (component) circuit I've been building to use with modding TVs that can't be RGB modded. That is to say, I've been YPrPb-modding TVs.

My RGB=>component circuit already works. I have been using three C945 transistors for the signal amp stage, but these THS7314/7316 ICs would be much neater and the signal filter may improve my picture quality. I'm interested to see results with both kinds of the chip. The THS7314 may be better for Low-pass filter purposes.

That's my long way of saying... if you don't mind waiting, I'll happily solder up one of these retrorgb RGB amps, test it and send you one! ;D

Unfortunately I don't have them on hand, so I'll have to order and wait for delivery (most likely from China). My last package of electronics from China, which arrived a few days ago, took about 7 weeks to get here. Normally packages don't take that long, but they commonly do take 2-3 weeks or so and we are coming into Chrismas. Just so you know what to expect.

I see that some people are selling these on ebay for N64 RGB mods. The one below looks nice and neat, SMD design on custom PCB using the THS7316:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-N64-RGB-Amp-THS-7316-7314-upgrade-mod-kit-NTSC/153258549660?hash=item23aeebe19c:g:W3AAAOSwS5JbcZvl:rk:21:pf:0

They would also work for PC or anything with more-or-less standard analogue RGB signals. Amplification might not be enough for arcade monitors, but that's not an issue with a JPAC. I'm interested to give it a go anyway (ie no JPAC etc) because I've been having issues with my Ultimarc video amp boosting signals *too much* for certain arcade monitors of mine.

UPDATE: Just found this on ebay, a THS7314 already soldered onto a tiny PCB chip:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-THS7314DR-7314-ON-DIP-ADAPTER/321292514333?epid=0&hash=item4ace86b41d:g:xFoAAOSwFHZap5px:rk:7:pf:0

You, good sir, are too kind! I will happily let you make me one in exchange for moneys. There is no rush at all, after Christmas sounds just fine! Thank you so much!

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2018, 07:52:34 am »
You, good sir, are too kind! I will happily let you make me one in exchange for moneys. There is no rush at all, after Christmas sounds just fine! Thank you so much!

No problem at all  8) I just ordered what I need, will let you know when it comes in. Fortunately I have plenty of other things to keep me busy in the meantime  :dizzy:

jimmyj1979

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2022, 07:26:01 am
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2019, 07:08:45 pm »
I have just found this thread and I think it might be applicable to my issue

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159278.0.html

I am yet to explore this solution in detail, but hopefully steers me in the right direction

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2019, 12:27:02 am »
I promise @sublevel I'll focus on soldering that THS7314 amp up soon.

Stuff has arrived, a little while ago, but while waiting everything got busy here. Many guests (paying and otherwise) over the New year period too (our part of the world is very popular this time of year). I have several projects at incomplete atm, including 3 arcade cabs and a swimming pool, but finding it difficult to focus on any of them. Fortunately, doing this basic video amp progresses more than one project so I'll work on it tonight.

Besides, I think Sublevel is probably pretty keen to see results. As am I.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 01:41:23 am by Zebidee »

LazyAce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2020, 09:44:45 am
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2019, 07:38:13 am »
I seem to be having some (similar?) interference issues, any chance you could take a look at my thread and lmk your thoughts? Many thanks: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,159526.0.html

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2019, 10:11:11 pm »
Apologies to Sublevel and anyone else following this - I've been busy since mid-January mostly with a swimming pool project (large one). Also ...[edit: rant removed]

Wow, 4 paragraphs off-topic whinging. Back on-topic.

Good news is that I just cleaned up the electronics workspace in my shed, all the bits I need for the THS7314/7316 RGB amp are here now, I just need to do the darn thing.

LazyAce: a lot of people seem to have issues with the Nanao monitors in Astro cabs, just like you describe on your thread. It may be unfair to blame the JPAC, but would be good to definitively rule it out as a possible source of the problems too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:31:35 pm by Zebidee »

LazyAce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2020, 09:44:45 am
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:02 am »

LazyAce: a lot of people seem to have issues with the Nanao monitors in Astro cabs, just like you describe on your thread. It may be unfair to blame the JPAC, but would be good to definitively rule it out as a possible source of the problems too.

The monitor seems fine on PCBs and Grant (gunblade) has looked at and recapped the chassis, but he confirmed it worked perfectly before a recap. I get the issue with 2 different jpacs across three different devices: 2 Pcs and 1 Pi, so I'm assuming it could be the JPAC. I still have the 5 and 12V lines connected to the Jamma edge, but the JPAC is powered separately. I'm wondering if this could be the issue? The weird thing is, the wobble and interference go away after 40 minutes.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 07:59:51 pm »
You could always try powering the JPAC from the JAMMA 5v power. I guess you'd have to hack a cable as they normally get it via USB or PS2. Not sure Andy would approve  :lol

Sublevel

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2019, 04:49:47 am »
Apologies to Sublevel and anyone else following this - I've been busy since mid-January mostly with a swimming pool project (large one). Also ...[edit: rant removed]

Wow, 4 paragraphs off-topic whinging. Back on-topic.

Good news is that I just cleaned up the electronics workspace in my shed, all the bits I need for the THS7314/7316 RGB amp are here now, I just need to do the darn thing.

No apologies needed! Take your time with the amp, no worries. I'm rather busy taking care of my one-year-old right now so there's not much time for gaming. But i do still want to try this amp :)