Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Walking Dead 2018  (Read 3487 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Walking Dead 2018
« on: November 04, 2018, 11:02:06 pm »
So I haven't talked about the show in a long time, mostly because there wasn't anything to talk about.  For a while there it was pretty bland, just chugging along.  Then it miraculously got good again.  So the kid got fired last season and this season they DON'T kill Rick but rather helicopter him away, announcing that amc will do a series of feature films starring the character.  Keep in mind that last season Morgan went off to join Fear the Walking Dead after they killed off most of the main characters on that show.  At the very end of the episode they do a time jump (the second of the season) and the incredible non-aging toddler, Judith, is now about Carl's age when the show started. 

So to summarize, Fear is barely holding on by a thread having lost most of it's cast and the primary show just lost it's stars as well.  Instead of slamming on the brakes and re-grouping they have decided to expand the universe even more?  Either this franchise falls hard or they run it into the ground at this point.  It's a shame because a couple of seasons ago the formula was really good compared to previous seasons, but they couldn't just leave well enough alone. 

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: Walking Dead 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:10:45 pm »
Once we heard that Andrew Lincoln was leaving the show, my wife and I both said, "He's leaving on that helicopter."

Good to see they're bringing in The Whisperers.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:30:30 pm »
Eh the whisperers are kind of lame.  That arc kind of dies a quick death.  Also I'm not sure how they are going to do it because the whole arc kind of revolved around Carl and his romantic entanglement with the girl.  It could be good I guess but I'm not optimistic.  They totally need to get Kane to play Beta though. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:36:02 pm »
no spoiler tag?

Bad form. 
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:42:13 pm »
Sorry, but I did put 2018 in the title man.  If you aren't caught up I'm not sure why you'd look. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 03:52:52 pm »
I've only had time to see the first 2 episodes :(

I was hoping it was a speculation thread. Im to the point where the black priest went to the dump. See, no spoiler :)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:26:26 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 05:00:08 pm »
Did they ever get to that place and think they could make a life there but then the humans don't get along which leads to the place getting overrun by zombies and main characters die and then they have to go find a new place?  Did that happen yet?

As far as I know, Glen is trapped under a dumpster and it will always be that way for me.  Bummer - I really liked the show in the beginning.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:18:35 pm »
Actually they are at the point in the comics where they stop doing that tired troupe.  If they go by the comics they are at Alexandria and the other communities to stay and they will never be overrun again.  That doesn't mean there isn't conflict though.  TBH the books are starting to get a bit sedentary for my tastes.  At some point I think they need to starting explaining how the apocalypse started (which is what fear promised to be but it decidedly wasn't) and the goal needs to be working towards a cure.  I mean in the comics they are about to start reopening the rail lines for Pete's sake..... did science die in this universe?  In the comics they don't even try to get to the cdc like in the show, which is the first place any sane person would go to during an outbreak of an unknown illness. 

Btw, some of the actors (Daryl and Carol) just renewed their contracts and apparently it's a MCU style deal where they aren't signed to appear on any particular show, but rather on any or all walking dead related projects.....  so apparently they plan to expand even more which is the absolute wrong way to go.  They had an opportunity to merge fear, which was never any good until this last season, and the main show the way the plot was written, but on the last episode of fear they basically pulled a helicopter like with Rick and now they have a pretty unconvincing reason to stay even though the whole arc of the season was to for Morgan to bring his new friends back to Alexandria. 

I just don't get it.  The walking dead is not an expanded universe.  Expanded universes only seem to work when marvel do them.  The whole thing just has disaster written all over it. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:39:05 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:15 am »
I read the comics up until about issue #165... whichever one ended with half the characters beheaded.  The guys wearing the zombie skin suits were the first interesting ideas in like 20-30 issues at that point.  Whole series suffered from, "we're willing to do anything, except shoot the one person that would resolve this situation."  Reminded me of those 80s action movies where the 'good guy' mows down 500 henchmen but has a "stop, you're better than this" moment when he finally catches the bad guy.

When the series caught up to that point in the comics, I rejoined the show.  Sure enough it was 2-3 episodes of "why don't they just shoot him?" and I was done.

The Telltale games were good, though.

:cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 08:06:50 pm »
Never watched.
Had a chick tell me we could talk after Walking dead was over. Told her to buy a DVR and call me.
I have zero idea what it means but I laugh ---my bottom--- off and know I shouldn't every time my 10yr old says "deezz nuts"

that is essentially my total knowledge on walking dead.
I didn't even read this thread.  :laugh2:

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 03:34:03 pm »
They really needed the time jumps to distance themselves from the story arc that had plodded along over the last couple seasons. I had reached a point of being done with it after last season. They have done enough to keep me somewhat interested so far this season. It's still not as good as it once was but it is an improvement.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 04:07:56 pm »
The major problem with the time jump is.... well.....  Rick is still alive, it's been 6 years and he hasn't returned home.  That would be ok if the whole moral of the episode wasn't about his family and how they had to stick together.  So that means either he dies in one of these original movies, or, more likely imho, they chopper him away to another country (maybe England).  Either way, this is Rick Grimes.... he should have made it home by now. 

JMB

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2023, 07:29:22 pm
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 04:20:25 pm »
I'm sure they are going to take some liberties with the movie timelines. If they ever come to be then the first movie could pick up a week after Rick gets airlifted out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 10:30:17 pm »
You don't understand what I mean.  There's been a 6 year time jump.... and Rick still isn't back so he's been gone for 6 years.  So either he died or he's trapped halfway around the world..... so yeah.... the show is kind of ruined by the lack of afterthought. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 02:50:34 am »
Just got caught up.... I think the time jump is a bit odd... however I think it could work. I mean it has to be better than what we saw the last couple of seasons right?
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:59 pm »
I recently watched the pilot first episode again; actually I watched it twice because I was showing someone the walking dead. I have not looked up fan theories or anything these are just things I noticed; It was fun watching the final episode with Rick while he was dying he kept going back to scenes talking to the dead from the first episode locations. Also everyone is sure to have forgotten but the helicopter was in the first episode, he saw it in a reflection of a building in the city which is why he ended up running in the heard of dead and almost got himself killed. When Rick was being taken by the helicopter they played the same Space Junk song they ended with when rick was trapped in the tank on the first episode; it did not work nearly as well as the first episode but it was there. Am I missing anything?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:35:33 pm by fallacy »