Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Going nuts - G29 wheel, pedals, Out Run  (Read 5255 times)

stevepax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 30, 2019, 06:51:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Going nuts - G29 wheel, pedals, Out Run
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:20:42 pm »
I have read and researched forever, I can't seem to resolve this issue. I'm planning to build my own racing arcade cabinet. I have a regular two player arcade machine with MAME that I built myself, and a virtual pinball machine, so I'm no stranger to tricky configurations. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out the software before I actually build anything.

I have a Logitech G29 with the pedals and shifter. I thought I'd just start with Out Run in MAME to help understand the configuration options, etc.

Installed MAME, put the ROM in the folder, configured the wheel to 270 degrees, started up the game, and clicked TAB to configure controls. The moment I clicked on Pedal 2 and pressed the accelerator all the way down to set that control, the MAME interface started scrolling like crazy. Had to hold the gas pedal half way down to get it to stop. Holding all the way down made it scroll up.

So I went to the general config area for MAME and re-configured (in the User Interface area) keys for Up and Down to,be only the keyboard arrows. It originally had joypad up and down in as well, and I don't know why the has pedal is being seen as joypad up or down. Anyway, that stopped the scrolling,

But in the game, the gas pedal doesn't seem to do anything until it has been pressed about half way down. Then it starts accelerating. Brake seems to function totally normally.

Get to the end of the game, asked to input initials because I got a high score. But the first initial is automatically registered as "A", and after that when I choose my initial, nothing happens when I press the gas pedal to input a letter. Can't input any letters, have to wait for the time to run out before I can start the next game.

So, why the scrolling? Why the gas pedal not working until depressed half way? And why can't I input my initials using the gas pedal? Help me out, please! I gotta make this work to complete the ultimate homemade game room! Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:12:53 pm by stevepax »

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:51:56 am
Re: Going nuts - G20 wheel, pedals, Out Run
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 07:06:07 am »
This should help:

I have a G27 and it acts like you described when I separate pedals in the Logitech profile. Try combining them and if you haven't already.

stevepax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:56:04 am »
This should help:

I have a G27 and it acts like you described when I separate pedals in the Logitech profile. Try combining them and if you haven't already.

Ok, I'll give it a shot tonight and see what happens. I'll let you know how it comes out.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:06:18 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Re: Going nuts - G29 wheel, pedals, Out Run
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 12:55:32 pm »

stevepax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 06:20:32 pm »
You might want to give this a try a too: http://reassembler.blogspot.com/p/cannonball-open-source-outrun-engine.html

Yes, I actually started with that. But I couldn't see a way to navigate the menus in the game with only the steering wheel and buttons on the wheel controller. I'd prefer to not use a keyboard at all in the final racing cabinet im building except for maintenance purposes. Even when I assigned key presses to the buttons in the Logitech gaming software, it didnt register my up and down arrows to go throuh the in-game menus to launch it.

stevepax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:55:32 pm »
This should help:

So, I combined the pedals, and assigned one of them to "+", and the other to "-", and I had to reverse both of them, and the game seems to work, but I still have to press the pedal down a bit before it starts doing anything, and I still can't input my initials at the end. In Out Run, you are supposed to press the gas to accept the letter you're on. But mine automatically puts in "A" for the first letter, and doesn't do anything when I press the gas for any other letters. Which tells me I might still both have something right here. Any ideas?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 05:15:46 am »
If the accelerator phisical potentiometer is turned a bit, this will score an "A" as soon as you enter the name screen. You cannot press new letters because you never reach the "no input" pot position.
You have a hardware issue to me. Maybe a recalibration would suffice? If not, open the pedal assembly and reposition the pot at rest.

stevepax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 10:40:00 pm »
If the accelerator phisical potentiometer is turned a bit, this will score an "A" as soon as you enter the name screen. You cannot press new letters because you never reach the "no input" pot position.
You have a hardware issue to me. Maybe a recalibration would suffice? If not, open the pedal assembly and reposition the pot at rest.

This is an interesting idea, and really makes some sense. I'll try calibrating it in Windows first, and then we'll see. Taking stuff apart is pretty fun, knowing that the downside is voiding any warranty...

stevepax

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 12:07:02 am »

Good news! I did a simple Windows calibration, and everything works. Now I just have to switch to the enhanced ROM that will actually save my high scores!

Thanks, all, for the help. This racing cab is gonna be awesome.