Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OPTI Wiz V3 Wiring Question  (Read 2900 times)

Dannzig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2020, 01:59:01 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
OPTI Wiz V3 Wiring Question
« on: November 03, 2018, 04:02:48 pm »
I just received my Opti Wiz 3 in the mail. I am new to the Trackball connections, and the Directions are a little Vague. I was hoping someone here has experience with the Opti Wiz V3. Thanks in advance for your input. So here are my Questions:
1. Are the Pins 1 & 11 (5V) and 2 & 12 (Ground) Input pins to power the Opti Wiz 3 interface? Input/output also powring the Trackball? I am pretty sure they are not outputs as I measured 0 volts when I connected it Via USB.-
2. Do I connect the Red and Black wire from the trackball to the  Opti Wiz 3 or straight to power wires?
3. Can I connect buttons to the Opti Wiz 3 to use it as a separate console Interface.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: OPTI Wiz V3 Wiring Question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:35:25 pm »
1. Are the Pins 1 & 11 (5V) and 2 & 12 (Ground) Input pins to power the Opti Wiz 3 interface? Input/output also powring the Trackball? I am pretty sure they are not outputs as I measured 0 volts when I connected it Via USB.-
2. Do I connect the Red and Black wire from the trackball to the  Opti Wiz 3 or straight to power wires?
The OptiWiz gets 5v from the USB and provides that 5v to the trackball.

The trackball should have 6 wires:

- Red (5v) goes to pin 1 or 11

- Black (ground) goes to pin 2 or 12

- Purple (X1) goes to pin 10
- Blue (X2) goes to pin 9

- Yellow (Y1) goes to pin 8
- Green (Y2) goes to pin 7

If an axis is working backward i.e. move trackball right ==> cursor moves left, swap the data lines for that axis -- X1 and X2 in this case.

3. Can I connect buttons to the Opti Wiz 3 to use it as a separate console Interface.
Not sure what you mean by "separate console Interface".

You can connect buttons to pins 13, 14, and 15 for mouse left-, middle-, and right-click.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 05:42:06 pm by PL1 »

Dannzig

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »
that is an awesome Pic and Great Response! Thank you!  One last thing, I would assume that I should pigtail the grounds on the other 3 buttons and connect to #12?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:50 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:36:29 pm »
that is an awesome Pic
That's Randy's handiwork.   ;D

One last thing, I would assume that I should pigtail the grounds on the other 3 buttons and connect to #12?
Yes.  You'll need ground for the button inputs as shown in Figure 2 of the pic you posted.

A daisy-chain or euro-style terminal strip are more commonly used, but a good 4-wire pigtail can work for 3 buttons.   :cheers:

Scott

Dannzig

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:12:54 pm »
The support here is awesome! Thank you. I attached a couple of pices for my Trackball Connection and Buttons which are from a Golden Tee 97 Arcade game.
Thank you again!!!