Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade1Up - Spinner -> PC... Anyone get it working?  (Read 15707 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Arcade1Up - Spinner -> PC... Anyone get it working?
« on: November 03, 2018, 03:50:59 pm »
I got the asteroid cabinet, and now have it hooked (for now) to my main PC.  I'm going to replace the control panel at some point, but was hoping to get this working with an existing encoder.  The wires seem to be the same as any spinner/trackball (other then color..  red for +5, black for ground, white and yellow for 1/2...  )  but when I hooked it up to my encoder/hacked mouse I'm getting nothing.  I tested the hacked mouse with another board and it's working.

Any clue? 

I know the spinner sucks.  But the opening is so large, I can't fit another spinner in the space.

I would love to get this going just so I can play some startrek sitting at the desk with just a quick swivel of the chair.

Thanks
Drake

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Arcade1Up - Spinner -> PC... Anyone get it working?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »
What type of encoder are you using ( PS2/USB ) since the A1U trackball PCB has the wires labeled as RX and TX it is probably using an older PS2 interface instead of USB so might need some sort of active converter also.  :dunno

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 12:36:21 pm »
I'm using one of the really old oscar controls usb hacked ball mice.  it works with every trackball / spinner I've used in the past.   I'm really not sure if these spinners are actually a real spinner though.  I haven't ripped it apart since it might be useful for a stopgap

Thanks

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 01:04:04 pm »
I'm using one of the really old oscar controls usb hacked ball mice.  it works with every trackball / spinner I've used in the past.   I'm really not sure if these spinners are actually a real spinner though.  I haven't ripped it apart since it might be useful for a stopgap

Thanks

Yeah they are not a real rotary spinner - It is just a simple rotary switch - so not sure exactly how they designed the PCB to interface with it. Here is a pic of it off one of the youtube videos about adding some electrical tape to make the knob fit better :

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 07:27:17 pm »
Yeah, I've seen it at that level.  I thought it might have an encoding wheel inside... guess not...
Maybe I'll hack a wheel on the bottom, and use my own encoder.  Really, I just have to cut a new control panel for it.

Thanks

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 07:33:31 pm »
one guy who's using an ultimarc spinner, is not using it usb.  so i don't think it's a usb input.  you'd probably have to wire it directly to the oscar encoder without the mouse.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:01:47 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:14:04 pm »
Based on the image that JDFan posted earlier, it looks like a 3-wire, 2-bit gray code encoder -- similar to the encoder in an Atari 2600 CX-20 driving controller.

The per-rotation resolution of the encoder will be a multiple of 4.
- The Atari encoder resolution is 16 steps per rotation. (4 phases * 4 times)

A 2-bit gray code encoder outputs the same 4-phase quadrature waveform as spinner/trackball optical circuits -- only one bit changes when you change from one phase to another.
- A is the inner ring.  B is the outer ring.
- Open ==> logic low.  Continuity ==> logic high.

Scott

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:12:25 pm »
Apparently you can call Arcade1Up and ask them for a new control panel.  There might be a wait though.

FYI Wallyworld is selling Pacman, Rampage and Asteroids for $250 on Black Friday.  They are in stock now for $299. 

I didn't see any Galaga, except mine that arrived yesterday!  :woot

While you are over there in Wallyworld you might want to check out the Redbull Pacman cab with a frig built in.  It plays some wacko Redbill pacman game too. 

Sits 5 feet or so tall, and I want one.

If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

DJ Tidalwave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2020, 04:51:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:59:30 am »
What about the new spinner that 1up is now selling.  It is supposed to be a better spinner and now has 4 wires coming out of it.  Could that be run on an ipac2 board.  Or the new replacement ones onAmazon any idea .  Not wanting g for USB but for a jam a like 60-1 or Elf ?