Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Automation Prototyping  (Read 8925 times)

yo1dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
Automation Prototyping
« on: November 02, 2018, 05:26:04 pm »
What do you guys use for prototyping your automated stuff? Lego?

I am working on my rotating control panel project and I have a few ideas I want to try out regarding the rotation of the control panel, latch, etc. Specifically:

Rotating the control panel.
Opening and closing the front panel using a rack and pinion.
Engaging and releasing the rotating control panel latch (similar to a sash lock).

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Automation Prototyping
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 12:35:54 pm »
Hi yodog, interesting project.
Could you not just have the front panel on a spring, pulling it towards the monitor, then rotate the control panel towards the monitor.
The CP front edge should come up off the front panel (FP), until it comes around to the stopping position.
The spring will pull the FP back in to lock the CP from turning back towards the player.
Sort of like a ratchet.
Other than that, a servo to turn the lock you came up with should work too.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 12:43:17 pm »
What do you guys use for prototyping your automated stuff? Lego?

I use a experimenters board to prototype my electronics. Similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-2760170-Experimenter-Printed-Circuit/dp/B000VEO24U/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1541263176&sr=8-12&keywords=experimenters+board

Once I am satisfied with the way it works, I use a proto-board to solder the components to.
As far as the mechanics, I just build it. If it works, great, if it dont work or Im not satisfied with the way it does, I tear it down and start over.
I work it out in my head first, then on paper. I guess the lego kits would be great for this, i just never tried them.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »
Yea I got plenty of stuff for prototyping electronics. I am completely new to the mechanical/automation side.

Do you have a bunch of gears and stuff around to play with or do you figure out what kind of torque you need and then order the appropriate gears/gear boxes?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 03:26:36 pm »
Spin it by hand and use a window latch to lock it in place. If you try to automate the process you may as well ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- can the whole thing. The complexity and cost will bury the project.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 03:33:19 pm »
Don't ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- on my parade!

We'll see how it goes :dunno :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 04:01:15 pm »
I already know how it is going to go. I want to see you finish your project. Most of these rotating cp projects fizzle out before completion. Make it rotate by hand. You can automate it later, or not. You might decide that manual rotation works just fine. In the meantime you will be playing games instead of staring at a pile of motors, gears, and wires.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 09:07:30 am »
Yea I got plenty of stuff for prototyping electronics. I am completely new to the mechanical/automation side.

Do you have a bunch of gears and stuff around to play with or do you figure out what kind of torque you need and then order the appropriate gears/gear boxes?

Ive never done it with a servo motor, only used a motor similar to a windshield wiper motor, so there was only one sprocket driving a chain mounted to a mdf disc.
So not a lot of experimenting to do, because I knew that motor would easily turn even the CRT monitor I used.
I have also made a LCD monitor that turns by a screw actuator. I have not installed that in my cabinet yet, mainly because I put the cabinet i was working on on hold. But the rotating monitor assembly is still upstairs in storage and ready to install.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 09:11:11 am »
I already know how it is going to go. I want to see you finish your project. Most of these rotating cp projects fizzle out before completion. Make it rotate by hand. You can automate it later, or not. You might decide that manual rotation works just fine. In the meantime you will be playing games instead of staring at a pile of motors, gears, and wires.

Good point. If manually rotating works for you, thats great, do what works for you.
But if you are not afraid of automating it, it is very satisfying to see the final results.
Wow factor is off the charts when your friends or family see the machine doing automatic things. (Plus they will think you are a friggin genius!  ;D )
Cost can be cut down by using used parts or shopping around for the best deals.
But since it is an added feature, of course it will cost you more. How much more depends on your design and your shopping abilities.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 05:05:19 pm »
I'll stay optimistic for now. I'm OK with scrapping the automation if it turns into a blocker. I think I have realistic expectations regarding cost, complexity, and time though.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 05:29:01 pm »
I got faith in you man, you can do it!