Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can you play SNES and PC engine games through Groovymame?  (Read 6785 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can you play SNES and PC engine games through Groovymame?
« on: November 02, 2018, 04:30:26 pm »
I am having a hard time finding an answer I understand to this question. Is it possible to run SNES and PC engine games etc through Groovymame as if they were just another arcade rom?

I.e. Can I make it so I can scroll through the list on the graphic interface, see my SNES games and select. Or, can it only be done through a command line thing?

All of my other emulators stopped working when I installed CRT EMU so I am looking for another way to play console games at native res (and select games from a list with my joystick). Or... figure how to make the old emulators work again...

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
Re: Can you play SNES and PC engine games through Groovymame?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:46:30 pm »
Yes, you can do this through the UI. You select "Super Nintendo" or "PC Engine" and it'll show you a list of all the games.

You must have your ROMs named correctly for MAMEs Software Lists to find them, and their path in the mame.ini rompath.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 04:52:30 pm »
Yes, you can do this through the UI. You select "Super Nintendo" or "PC Engine" and it'll show you a list of all the games.

You must have your ROMs named correctly for MAMEs Software Lists to find them, and their path in the mame.ini rompath.

Thanks.

So... If my SNES games don't appear in the Groovymame game list, the most likely reason is that I have named them incorrectly. How should SNES games be named for Mame?

Do I need to add a new path just for SNES games in the INI, or can I put SNES roms in the same folder as my arcade games?

cools

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 02:59:06 pm
  • Arcade Otaku Sysadmin
    • Arcade Otaku
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 05:40:40 pm »
http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mess.php?software_name=fzerou&software_list=snes&search_id=1

Check the XML for zip name and zip contents names. I'd just run your ROMs through clrmamepro with Software Lists enabled, it'll be easier.

So long as the files are named and in an accessible path in the INI MAME will see them.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:08 pm »
http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mess.php?software_name=fzerou&software_list=snes&search_id=1

Check the XML for zip name and zip contents names. I'd just run your ROMs through clrmamepro with Software Lists enabled, it'll be easier.

So long as the files are named and in an accessible path in the INI MAME will see them.

I think I might have found my problem. The SNES bios I have from my Mame 198 pack doesn't seem to work with Groovymame 197 (missing files) and there doesn't seem to be a Groovymame 198.

I was hoping to avoid this but I guess I'll have to install yet another version of mame on my PC to see if I can find one that works.

The compatibility issues are definately the worst thing about mame (along with the lack of model 2, 3 and Naomi progress). I appreciate the aim of maximum accuracy. We all want that. I just wish they gave you a drop-down menu to make roms from previous versions of mame work until you can source an updated one. It's not that easy to find the latest sets anymore.

Plus, If a rom can be run on real hardware, how is accuracy improved by making it so mame can't run it....

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 01:56:19 pm »
I am trying to picture the absolute total chaos a backwards compatible MAME would mean, and the size of the .exe  :lol

Sorry I believe that's impossible, keeping the games/bios/devices up-to-date is our problem.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 12:03:17 pm »
I am trying to picture the absolute total chaos a backwards compatible MAME would mean, and the size of the .exe  :lol

Sorry I believe that's impossible, keeping the games/bios/devices up-to-date is our problem.

There are many things that are impossible. That is not one of them and certainly not because of storage limitations. You could put every version of mame ever made in a single folder and it would take considerably less memory than some PS2 games.