Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: No room in the inn.  (Read 1986 times)

tommyinajar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
No room in the inn.
« on: November 02, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »
Hey, I've got 5 cabinets in the garage that are ranging from empty to working but needs work. They have to get out of there this year. I'm in Wisconsin so snow is around the corner. I built a shed to hold a couple, but the ones in the garage have to get moved. Due to having other things to do in my life, these are on the back burner. The ones I'm going to Mame no worries really, but the Blitz and Mortal Kombat I want to probably fix.

No money or hassle to move and store them elsewhere, my friends and relative's garages already have 1 or 2 so-

How can I store them outside? I'm kind of rural so I'd just toss them by the boat on the cement patio and just blue tarp them? I hate to do that, but otherwise, they will probably get hauled to the junkyard, which would kill me...

Anyone ever store them outside? Any tips?

I'm thinking (hoping) it's not any different than an unheated shed. Worried about the electronics and moisture.

Shrink wrap maybe? Anything but the axe - (So I don't want the wood to rot away either, a spring time surprise)

Thanks?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: No room in the inn.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:04:23 pm »
I have room in my pole barn. Steel walls and concrete floor. I am a few miles from the Wisconsin border. Wonder Lake, IL. I can store them for you.

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 03:06:56 pm »
Wow that is a generous offer- I'd jump on that, the only thing is I'm not doing great 3 hernia and 3 shoulder surgeries in last 5 years, which is part of the problem why everything is backing up-  IDK if I want to move them again or even if I'm going to be able to talk my 2 able body friends to move them again....lol (need that tailgate lift)

I started out with two for me,15 years ago or so, then I started rescuing quite a few that were going to be trashed otherwise. All of them are in good shape wood-wise otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

I still have to dig them out, and figure out what I'm keeping, are you looking for more yourself by chance cheap? I think the total is 17 right now. Got em stashed all over the place.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »
Mike's always looking for more cabinets!  :applaud:

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:06:28 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »
Where are you located? I am sure we can work something out. I could take some stuff off of your hands, and I can store some stuff for you.
I would hate to see you store decent cabs outside. The humidity and animals will destroy them.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 08:40:12 pm »
I have had a lot of machines that have done a year or more under my carport in Missouri with no issues at all.  Unfortunately a tarp won't cut it. That won't keep the rain off properly like an actual roof will.

Also, make sure they either have feet on them or are up on blocks or 2x4s, if the bare wood is on the ground then they can wick up moisture.

Plywood cabinets put up with sketchy storage a lot better than particle board ones do. Laminated particle board cabs hold up better than non-laminated.

All bets are off on Taito cabinets, you can sneeze on an Atari cabinet and the Taito cabinet in the next room will get water damage.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

marioxb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 01:54:31 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 03:48:46 pm »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:00:37 am by marioxb »