Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wiring marquee light & trackball, and speaker volume  (Read 3122 times)

Haloman800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2020, 12:40:00 am
  • Awfully Awesome
Wiring marquee light & trackball, and speaker volume
« on: October 30, 2018, 10:58:21 pm »
I bought an Arcade Legends that was gutted, previous guy #rekt the inside. I got it working but the marquee light doesn't work. I bought one at Lowe's with a normal US outlet connector, is there any way to wire this directly to the power supply? Here's a photo:

Second question. I have a 60 in 1 board. What cable do I need to hook up this trackball to it (and is there a place you'd recommend I buy it?) Photo:

Final question. The speakers are extremely loud. How would I change the volume?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:00:28 pm by Haloman800 »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Wiring marquee light & trackball, and speaker volume
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 03:33:21 am »
Yes you can wire the light straight into the mains inside the cabinet as long as its the correct voltage.
I would normally use 1.5mm2 flex not sure what that is in AWG sorry.

As for the speakers is there no adjustment nob or sound volume setting in your service menu?
If not you could wire a potentiometer in circuit to act as a volume control.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2024, 03:47:47 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 09:19:12 am »
Umm, The marquee light is A/C power. The power supply is D/C. Will this still work?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 09:32:18 am »
The power going into the power supply is AC. Tap into that.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:22:18 am »
Umm, The marquee light is A/C power. The power supply is D/C. Will this still work?

The power into the cab will be AC, It will then go to a PSU to be dropped down to your low voltage DC.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:38:10 am »
Second question. I have a 60 in 1 board. What cable do I need to hook up this trackball to it (and is there a place you'd recommend I buy it?) Photo:

This is the one I bought for my setup.  It says it only works with trackballs that have a red optical board.  I don't have a 60-1 anymore but I did test the cable with one and it worked fine with my Happ 2-1/4 trackball.

http://www.twistedquarter.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=113_121&products_id=3523

Haloman800

• Offline Offline
  • Awfully Awesome
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 08:47:57 pm »
Yes you can wire the light straight into the mains inside the cabinet as long as its the correct voltage.

As for the speakers is there no adjustment nob or sound volume setting in your service menu?
Can you please tell me where on the power supply to wire it to? I know how to solder but I'm self taught and I don't know much of anything. I'll probably electrocute myself if I try to guess.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:35:14 am »

Can you please tell me where on the power supply to wire it to? I know how to solder but I'm self taught and I don't know much of anything. I'll probably electrocute myself if I try to guess.

First thing is if you aint sure dont!
We dont want any fatality’s here!!

Where your mains cable comes into the back of the cabinet or plugs in you should have 3 wires coming off that.

Follow those wires back and see where they go.
Take a pic and post it up for us.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:45:17 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 04:08:06 am »
Can you please tell me where on the power supply to wire it to?
The input power cable for the arcade power supply goes on the three bottom screws:

"AC/L" Alternating Current / Line - Commonly referred to as Hot. (black wire)
- Marked "AC 2" on your power supply.

"AC/N" Alternating Current / Neutral - Commonly referred to as Neutral. (white wire)
- Marked "AC 1" on your power supply.

"FG" Frame Ground - Commonly referred to as Ground. (green wire)
- Trackball frame ground wire, coin door frame ground wire, etc. also connect to this screw terminal.

Your marquee light fixture probably has an ungrounded 2-blade plug.

Cut off the plug, strip the wires,  and connect them to the power supply AC input screws -- 1 screw terminal ==> 1 AC input wire and 1 light fixture wire.

- If one blade is wider than the other (polarized), connect the wider blade wire to Neutral (white) and the other to Hot (black)

- If both blades are the same width (unpolarized), connect one wire to Neutral and the other to Hot.

Pinout for a 3-prong plug.

Scott
EDIT: It's not necessary to change this, but the wires on your power supply wire currently come in from the upper-right and are wrapped counter-clockwise around the screw.  This can push the wire strands away as the screw is tightened.

It is generally a better practice to have them come in from the upper-left or lower-right and wrap them clockwise around the screw so they are pulled in as the screw is tightened.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 04:44:33 am by PL1 »

Haloman800

• Offline Offline
  • Awfully Awesome
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 12:11:23 am »
Can you please tell me where on the power supply to wire it to?
The input power cable for the arcade power supply goes on the three bottom screws:

"AC/L" Alternating Current / Line - Commonly referred to as Hot. (black wire)
- Marked "AC 2" on your power supply.

"AC/N" Alternating Current / Neutral - Commonly referred to as Neutral. (white wire)
- Marked "AC 1" on your power supply.

"FG" Frame Ground - Commonly referred to as Ground. (green wire)
- Trackball frame ground wire, coin door frame ground wire, etc. also connect to this screw terminal.

Your marquee light fixture probably has an ungrounded 2-blade plug.

Cut off the plug, strip the wires,  and connect them to the power supply AC input screws -- 1 screw terminal ==> 1 AC input wire and 1 light fixture wire.

- If one blade is wider than the other (polarized), connect the wider blade wire to Neutral (white) and the other to Hot (black)

- If both blades are the same width (unpolarized), connect one wire to Neutral and the other to Hot.

Pinout for a 3-prong plug.

Scott
EDIT: It's not necessary to change this, but the wires on your power supply wire currently come in from the upper-right and are wrapped counter-clockwise around the screw.  This can push the wire strands away as the screw is tightened.

It is generally a better practice to have them come in from the upper-left or lower-right and wrap them clockwise around the screw so they are pulled in as the screw is tightened.
It worked! I wired the light. Thank you so much!

I bought the cord for the trackball, but the 60 in 1 isn't registering it. Is it hooked up incorrectly?

I attached photos of where on the 60 in 1 it's plugged up to, and also a photo of the backlit marquee :).