Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Oddballs and Shorties - Lets see the tiny cabs!  (Read 5454 times)

morton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Oddballs and Shorties - Lets see the tiny cabs!
« on: October 30, 2018, 09:19:56 am »
Hi there, I am looking for photos and images of smaller cabs out there that are either uncommon/rare or exceptionally small.

Before people start posting micro novelty cabs, I would like to restrict it to cabs that use full sized controls, or at least the 24mm buttons if need be. Attached are a few photos of random ones I have seen online. Some of the one's I've seen I can no longer find, and others I haven't seen, but this is where I am at. I like how some are just a box, nothing fancy, but unique at the same time. There was a few japanese ones I've seen out there, and wonder what else is out there.

TL:DR - Post some pics of small cabinets that use full sized controls.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
Re: Oddballs and Shorties - Lets see the tiny cabs!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 09:24:39 am »
does gingerballs 1 or 2 count?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 02:01:57 pm »
does gingerballs 1 or 2 count?

Sure thing! Why not? Am just interested in cabs that take up minimal space but still are cool and fun. We can't all have a Showcase in the livingroom.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:53:10 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 02:03:23 pm »
We can't all have a Showcase in the livingroom.

You can. Your priorities are just out of place. ;D

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 08:47:40 pm »
We can't all have a Showcase in the livingroom.

You can. Your priorities are just out of place. ;D

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:18:16 pm »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:52:34 pm

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 03:43:44 pm »
There are some pretty cool Dinosaur King conversions to JAMMA out there. Here's just one example.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:53:02 pm »
Here's another one:

This guy did a MVS conversion:

I haven't seen FrancoB around here lately, but he has a couple of these cabinets he converted. He even cut his own monitor mount to support vertical orientation.

Very cute little cabinets, next best thing to obtaining a Capcom Mini Cute.

coasterlvr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 12:04:32 am »

My 52" tall Tron with full size controls.  I'm not sure if you'd call this uncommon or rare, but here it is, if you think so.  :)

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 11:21:00 am »

My 52" tall Tron with full size controls.  I'm not sure if you'd call this uncommon or rare, but here it is, if you think so.  :)

That is cool as heck. My lowboy I am working on is about 52" high. Doesn't look too dominating. Am thinking about another small cab build for my next one. Never really considered a scaled down classic cab with full sized controls. This looks cool.

As for the Dino-King conversions - I love those. Shame there aren't an abundance of them here like overseas. Same goes for the Capcom Mini Cute... but you can't deny that it lives up to the name lol.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 11:43:11 am »

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 05:20:19 pm »
I can't believe this thread hasn't been flooded with pictures of bartops that people put together from a kit and somehow feel proud of.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 10:09:57 pm »
I can't believe this thread hasn't been flooded with pictures of bartops that people put together from a kit and somehow feel proud of.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 09:52:14 am »
That Qbert is top notch!!

I'm glad there are cabs like this out there to be posted because I like Paige was worried that it'd be a bartop bonanza (not that there's anything wrong with em, just not what I want to see).

I see now that the smaller monitors have a place in these cabs, used to think they were too small, but they work well in appropriate sized homes. Are they hard to find in good shape? Most I see have lots of burn in from living in a cocktail or cabaret their whole life running the same games.

Any DIY designs that people have that are really odd yet still small and sit on the floor?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 11:30:08 am »
I'm angry that the thing that would anger me didn't happen!

Ginger 1.0:

Ginger 2.0

(still a WIP)
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:02 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 12:20:03 pm »
Saw this today whilst I was looking around for mini joysticks...

https://circuitbeard.co.uk/2015/09/12/rombus3000-a-raspberry-pi-mini-arcade-machine/

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »
An oldie but a goodie.   ;D

Still works!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 05:29:22 am »
An oldie but a goodie.   ;D

Still works!
This one is so cute. Unfortunately my daughters a still a bit too young an lose their attention to fast, but I might end up creating something like that as well. If they are interested anyway.

For now I am planning a (pink) music player which the oldest will be able to control using NFC tags.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 02:49:06 pm »
This one is so cute. Unfortunately my daughters a still a bit too young an lose their attention to fast, but I might end up creating something like that as well. If they are interested anyway.

For now I am planning a (pink) music player which the oldest will be able to control using NFC tags.

Definitely post pics and do a write-up on the process!  I am thinking my 2019 project will be some sort of music player using RFID tags for albums.  My daughter is way into music now and just last weekend we were in Newbury Comics and she wanted to buy all the vinyl records.  She loved the artwork and everything.  So I started thinking it would be cool to make mini-albums (like the size of a drink coaster) with artwork on both sides and an RFID tag in the middle that will tell the music player to play that album.  I'm very curious how you are going to do this!

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 04:47:05 pm »
So I started thinking it would be cool to make mini-albums (like the size of a drink coaster) with artwork on both sides and an RFID tag in the middle that will tell the music player to play that album.

I swear I remember reading about a commercial product a couple years ago that did exactly this.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2018, 06:31:26 pm »
I am thinking my 2019 project will be some sort of music player using RFID tags for albums.  My daughter is way into music now and just last weekend we were in Newbury Comics and she wanted to buy all the vinyl records.  She loved the artwork and everything.  So I started thinking it would be cool to make mini-albums (like the size of a drink coaster) with artwork on both sides and an RFID tag in the middle that will tell the music player to play that album.  I'm very curious how you are going to do this!
An NFC-based music selector is also my next project. Since I already own most of my music collection on CD, and I rarely play the CDs anymore, I'm gong to repurpose the CD covers as the NFC chip-bearers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:33:30 pm by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2018, 07:31:15 pm »
I dont want to brag (hey, my pants are on fire!!!)
Here is the cab I threw together for my grand daughter.

A Little Rage

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2018, 03:43:38 am »

Definitely post pics and do a write-up on the process!  I am thinking my 2019 project will be some sort of music player using RFID tags for albums.  My daughter is way into music now and just last weekend we were in Newbury Comics and she wanted to buy all the vinyl records.  She loved the artwork and everything.  So I started thinking it would be cool to make mini-albums (like the size of a drink coaster) with artwork on both sides and an RFID tag in the middle that will tell the music player to play that album.  I'm very curious how you are going to do this!
I ordered this RFID reader and these tags. I have a RPi2 with HifiBerry laying around unused. The speakers (2x Visaton FRS8-4) and subwoofer (Tang Band W5-1138SMF) I planned for my arcade cabinet will be used for this project (I will use some other stuff for the cab). I have some 2.1 amplifier boards I could use, but am considering to order a new one.
For software I will be using Phoniebox. Installs quite easily and does exactly what I want: Spotify, webradio and local music through RFID ánd through a web interface.

As soon as I receive the reader and tags I will do some testing and post a bit about the setup process... Also need to order some wood, not looking forward to the woodworking part (mainly routing the round holes for the speakers...

And groundloop. Not looking forward to groundloop. That will always happen. Always  :hissy:

morton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 09:50:21 am »

I ordered this RFID reader and these tags. I have a RPi2 with HifiBerry laying around unused. The speakers (2x Visaton FRS8-4) and subwoofer (Tang Band W5-1138SMF) I planned for my arcade cabinet will be used for this project (I will use some other stuff for the cab). I have some 2.1 amplifier boards I could use, but am considering to order a new one.
For software I will be using Phoniebox. Installs quite easily and does exactly what I want: Spotify, webradio and local music through RFID ánd through a web interface.

As soon as I receive the reader and tags I will do some testing and post a bit about the setup process... Also need to order some wood, not looking forward to the woodworking part (mainly routing the round holes for the speakers...

And groundloop. Not looking forward to groundloop. That will always happen. Always  :hissy:

The TPA3116 and 3118 are great sounding amps. Not all are equal tho. Some have different features. There are some that have a 2.1 for subs, some just 2.0 but add Bluetooth etc.

Watch out tho: as some have fixed crossover points and can only control the level of the woofer not where it comes in.

Diyaudio has a good thread where people try a lot of the different ones. Some sound really good and some awful. I had the pleasure of trying a few. Neither of mine suffer from pop or any issues with grounds/hum. Quite silent.

I use an XBox 360 PSU that gives 12v to the amp and depending on efficiency, can get quite loud. If you find a 24v supply, you're at twice the output. Any laptop psu brick of switching PSU will give you good power between 12-24v.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 12:01:56 pm »
It doesn’t exactly fit the requirements, but I recently picked up a Megatouch and my kids love it. Going to make a table for it this week. Already thinking about mods I can do to it.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 12:01:22 am »
Cabaret Star Wars are small. They are however, hard to come by in the wild