Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Infinity War: a simple calculus  (Read 3340 times)

Mr. Peabody

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
Infinity War: a simple calculus
« on: October 30, 2018, 01:44:15 am »
Howard_Casto talked about pseudo-science. I remarked in response about the fraudulence of pop culture. An example: Infinity War.

Thanos says it is always a matter of resources. Not enough to go around. Such misery. Relieving half the people of their lives would avoid that suffering.

However, history has shown people more educated tend to have less children. Fundamentally, birthrate is proportional to child mortality. A simple calculus.

But most poignant is the use of the Infinity gauntlet to make so anything you imagine. The Reality Stone is enough for this. Why not imagine infinite resources?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:39:53 am by Mr. Peabody »

jdbailey1206

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
Re: Infinity War: a simple calculus
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:57:06 am »
Why not imagine infinite resources?

Remember that Thanos is the Mad Titan.  So lets break this down.  Mad=crazy.  Titan=stemming from Uranus.  So he is a crazy ---uvula---.  Otherwise he would go the other direction and use the gauntlet for good.  Not evil. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:03:37 am »
Well it was changed to resource depletion instead of him killing to meet Lady Death. There was actually a well written piece about why doubling the resources wasn't a viable solution, but its not worth looking up. If you remove all need for a conflict you remove all need for a movie.

I know that Thanos is the mad titan, but I always thought his name was derived from Thanatosis , the act of playing dead.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

DrakeTungsten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 10:19:55 am »

However, history has shown people more educated tend to have less children. Fundamentally, birthrate is proportional to child mortality. A simple calculus.
*Too* simple. Low birth-rate, low-childhood-mortality societies also tend to consume many times more resources per person.

But most poignant is the use of the Infinity gauntlet to make so anything you imagine. The Reality Stone is enough for this. Why not imagine infinite resources?
Because that is what the plot requires. I'm sure you remember the episode of I Dream of Jeannie where Tony acquired genie powers, and Jeannie warned him that if he uses the power to bring water to the desert, then he has to take responsibility for drying up a lake or two somewhere to do it. It was the one and only time there was any mention of consequences or adherence to any laws of physics. Point being, it's fiction, and there's plenty of answers you can dream up. Pretend they were considered and answered off-screen, and get back to enjoying watching gods punching each other.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:24:02 am by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:27:56 am »
He has to do it manually.
By closing the fist on the infinity gauntlet.
It wouldn't be an automated process and those resources need to be put somewhere.

He would have to jump from planet to planet or depot to depot and resupply continuously.
Eventually unlimited resources will lead to an even higher population explosion.
Plus he will probably contract carpel tunnel.

He would Truly have to be mad to want to make that his existence going forward.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:12:39 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 10:40:01 am »
With the reality stone he doesn't "have" to do anything. He can literally do whatever he wants. He could make all beings capable of living without consuming food for fuel. He could make every creature immortal. He could expand the size of the universe. I am not well versed in comic book lore. Is there a limit to the power of the reality stone? If not why did he even bother fighting the Avengers? He could have turned them all into donkeys with a thought.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 12:39:53 am »
I can tell you why, it's just a crap movie. Marvel has always gotten flack for having bland villains with weak motivations. They could have either had the big bad come to earth threatening to destroy it with a big blue beam from space for no real reason for the millionth time; or they could go with option B which was coming up with some crap about him coming to earth not knowing anything about the planet and it inhabitants but needing to save everyone by killing them. Clearly the avengers need to all assemble if he is going to do that.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 02:52:34 am »
Mike A and fallacy have....chosen wisely. More at Mike A: as some have said, the only limit is the imagination. However, the imagination un-checked breeds vacuousness.

@DrakeTungsten: first-world population numbers and resource use are far less than the rest of the world. Yeah, the plot required it. 'I thought of this!.....so.....that must happen to make it so.' It is the equivalent of fitting facts to theory. I watch [some of] these movies because they're pretty - and to keep abreast of things. I almost don't play fighting games.

@nitrogen_widget: but he or his offspring in some much later age will have to cull the flock again.....

@jdbailey1206: in the comic book universe he was the Mad Titan. In the MCU, he's just a man from another planet. Good and evil. No in-between?

@Malenko: I thought Thanos was a rip-off of Thanatos - Death. Conflict comes in numerous flavors. The most banal are the tribal.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 03:56:56 am by Mr. Peabody »

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 06:05:33 pm »
Speaking of punching gods......

'....fantasy talked about gods. Science fiction started talking about us.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_2423351839&feature=iv&src_vid=hNxPTk9gR54&v=JI9lVkJdif4

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 10:03:02 am »
@Malenko: I thought Thanos was a rip-off of Thanatos - Death. Conflict comes in numerous flavors. The most banal are the tribal.

He was actually originally a rip-off of Metron , and then later more of a rip off of Darkseid. In terms of appearance at least.
But there's no origin of his name I can find. I don't think he's name is supposed to be any correlation to Death but its possible. His brother is Eros so I think Thanos is supposed to be the opposite. So either hate or...infertility?

I'm obviously over thinking this. I just don't think they'd call him death and have him be in love with death too :p

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 05:57:43 pm »
@Malenko: I think Thanos was 'the bringer of death', as he is "...resurrected by Death in order to wipe out half of the population of the universe..."

It occured to me a few weeks ago there's an un-tapped element here. Pete Quill is half Celestial. What a dunderhead.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:19:22 pm »
That whole scene where they had Thanos on the ropes and quill started punching him was so ---smurfing--- dumb.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 03:45:32 pm »
That whole scene where they had Thanos on the ropes and quill started punching him was so ---smurfing--- dumb.

In Billy Crystal wizard fashion, wagging finger: Ahhh, but without that the story would've en-dthed!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 09:49:21 pm »
In Billy Crystal wizard fashion, wagging finger: Ahhh, but without that the story would've en-dthed!

Well no, the scene is fine but the way Thanos got out wasn't. Have one of his minions show up and do something, have something go wrong with the heroes plan , well anything go wrong other than StarLord doing what he did. For me that was easily the low point of the entire MCU thus far, it was such a cheap cop out.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 04:49:41 pm »
Like I said, Quill is a Celestial. He could have kicked Thanos' ass himself. Everyone's too dim to realize it.

On a productive note, the greatest things to come out of perhaps any movie is near the end of Black Panther: 'we must take care of each other', and 'we have high technology and a leisure-based society, and we're going to share it with everyone'.