Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New to GroovyMame - will my Hardware work??  (Read 2970 times)

roostaar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2024, 06:06:59 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
New to GroovyMame - will my Hardware work??
« on: October 27, 2018, 03:45:02 pm »
Hi Guys

I have used Mame on PC for years and more recently Raspberry Pi. I also built a HyperSpin Bartop but I am new to GroovyMame and CRTs.

I bought a Bang & Olufsen MX4000 recently and have been modding my PAL consoles to output RGB & 60hz where necessary. I am now looking to build a proper Mame Cabinet with CRT TV or Arcade monitor.

So I would like to setup GroovyMame on a Windows 10 Dell Optiplex 7010 (Core I5) with an ATI Radeon HD 7000 (PCI-E, Display Port & DVI outputs) using my B&O MX4000 CRT with an RGB VGA -> Scart cable.

Will this gear work for GroovyMame?

I have managed to follow the Geedorah guide up to the point where I enable EDID emulation, my TFT loses the picture, but when I connect my CRT, I only get a black screen. It's a right pain to get the screen working again on the TFT and done this quite a few times now, so just wanted to ask if I'm wasting any time here with the wrong gear??

I made my own VGA-> Scart cable according to first schematic diagram here... I did not use the 5V or 12V lines though...
http://www.geocities.ws/podernixie/htpc/cables-en.html

I noticed a thread on here that slightly contradicts this schematic...
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=77370.0

Does my cable need the 5V/12V? All my consoles works perfectly in RGB.

This is my video card BTW
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-AMD-RADEON-HD-7000-PCI-EX16-1-GB-RAM-DVI-DISPLAY-PORT-low-profile-/113258909764

The first driver in this guide made W10 blue screen crash, the second installs without error. I have not tried the third driver. Am I using the right one?
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=295

Thanks in advance guys, hope I provided enough info.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: New to GroovyMame - will my Hardware work??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 06:48:58 pm »
You're probably using the right driver for that hardware, which is itself more than sufficient.

The Scart TV needs that 5V signal, however, so i think this is your problem. This provides the blanking signal that tells the TV a Scart RGB source is connected, and it should switch to it. If you don't provide the blanking voltage, the TV won't show RGB. You can get 5V from Pin 9 of the VGA connector, and it goes to Pin 16 of the Scart connector. Ideally the 5V line should be cut to ~3V with a 75R resistor, or something like that. Most TV's will work fine with 5V, but it's best to be sure.

If you are already providing the blanking voltage, make sure you're enabling the EDID on the analog_0 port, not another one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 06:52:50 pm by buttersoft »

roostaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 10:40:37 am »
Thanks for your reply!

I have altered my cable according to the post here
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=77370.0

I think I was also choosing the wrong output, so cheers for that too.

I have set the CRT Emu Driver to PAL 50hz and I'm getting a picture now, but the picture is slowly scrolling vertically from bottom to top.

I would like to use NTSC 60hz and this TV does support it, but this setting results in the same vertical scrolling but much much faster.

Interestingly, I also tested cutting the 12v & 5v power.

No power = no picture
5v only = no picture
12v only = slow scrolling picture mentioned above
5v & 12v = same as just 12v

12v is going to Scart Pin 8
5v is going to Scart Pin 16 with a 100ohm resistor in line. 

The resistor does not cut the voltage though, it remains at 5v accoring to my multimeter  ???

How can I fix the picture scrolling? And get NTSC working?

Thanks in advance

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 11:20:30 am »
The wiring in the link you posted is meant for composite sync (check the post from Sailorsat a bit below in the same thread).

You can enable composite sync in VMMaker's video card tab. This alone will probably get it working. However, it's advisable to use one resistor to reduce the voltage in the composite sync wire to be closer to SCART's spec.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:32:22 am by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

roostaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 12:01:13 pm »
Thank you Calamity

I am waiting on some more VGA connectors and will remake the cable as it was getting a bit messy.

Will report back when new cable made.

Cheers!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:24:50 am
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 12:17:08 am »
Comment: That SCART cable thread you linked to is very long and has many different designs, If you keep on reading, including a lot of input from myself. I would not make/have never made one exactly like the schematic on the first page, though it is pretty close.

There are many ways to roll your own SCART cable, and even more different TVs to use them on. They all require a blanking signal to pin 16. The specs say 1v-3v is required for RGB switching. Some TVs require exactly 1-3v, some are less fussy. Sometimes TVs work with 5v, direct to pin 16, some TVs work by just bridging sync (pin 20) to pin 16 with a bit of wire. Sometimes TVs require both blanking (1-3v to pin 16) and AV/AUX/4:3 mode switching signals (12v to pin 8 ), although you can usually select AV/AUX mode manually or with a remote too (auto-switching via 12v to pin 8 can also obviously be useful for cabs where you want the TV to be in AV/AUX/4:3 mode automatically when turned on).

In the absence of a "valid" blanking signal/voltage, SCART input TVs should revert to composite video (pin 20 only), which we don't like here  :puke

SCART Specs: http://pinouts.ru/Home/Scart_pinout.shtml

That you say you detect 5v after the 100ohm resistor makes me think that your TV either doesn't have 75 ohm termination on pin 16, or that it expects 1-3v to be online before it gets to pin 16 and is 75 ohm terminated. Conveniently, either way, the solution is the same.

A couple of things for you to try:
- after your 100 ohm resistor, attach one end of a 75 ohm resistor to your 5v going into pin 16, and the other end to ground. Like a T, with the resistor as base --> ground. If all you have is 100ohm resistors, they should work too. This will lower the voltage levels to ~2.1v (or 2.5v with 100ohms), either way within the 1-3v range required.

Test the above first, I'm pretty sure it'll work by itself. Then:
- I suggest attaching 1k ohm resistor inline onto composite sync signal, whether you get it from enabling composite sync in VMMaker (make sure to generate & install the modes as well) or twisting H&V or whatever. With termination, this should give you 0-0.3vp-p composite sync to spec. If this makes you lose your sync again, try a lower value resistor like 300-680ohm.

- If you've enabled composite sync properly in VMMaker, you might even disconnect V-Sync (VGA pin 14) to remove potential signal noise as all the composite sync info is carried on the H-sync (VGA pin 13) anyway (However, I'd probably leave V-sync connected anyway unless it causes a problem, as then your cable is then more useful for other purposes).

BTW - You can setup VMMaker so that you get both PAL and NTSC band video modes, you just need to get your monitor presets right (#tip requires multiple crt_range#'s). But that is for another post/topic.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:34:54 am by Zebidee »
Check out my completed projects!

roostaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 04:46:44 pm »
Hi Guys

Just a quick note to say thanks for all the info here. Spent last night building a new cable and got composite sync working and a steady NTSC picture thanks to your collective help. The TV even comes out of standby and switches to the correct AV input when I power up the PC.

Awesome!

:cheers:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 05:54:59 pm »
Yay!  :applaud:

Now try to get PAL (50hz) modes working too :D  That means you'll need a second "crt_range#" line for PAL in your custom profile, by editing the monitor presets file (access it through VMM). Once you are happy with the mode generation, re-create the modes with VMM. If you have trouble with that, prob best to ask on the relevant stickied thread.

roostaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 09:37:48 am »
OK! So GroovyMAME 0.202 is all installed and working well.

My picture is fairly well centred but has considerable overscan.

I have read and followed this post up to step F.

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=987#p987

But I don't understand the part regarding fixing the overscan.

Thanks in advance!   

Recapnation

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2023, 07:39:55 pm
    • Eiusdemmodi
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 02:33:08 pm »
Super resolutions (and only super resolutions) will essentially get the same horizontal amplitude for all the games, but you'll need to manually adjust the vertical size

This part? You aren't saying if it's vertical or horizontal overscan what you get, or even if you're using super resolutions.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 02:41:22 pm »
OK! So GroovyMAME 0.202 is all installed and working well.

My picture is fairly well centred but has considerable overscan.

I have read and followed this post up to step F.

http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=987#p987

But I don't understand the part regarding fixing the overscan.

Thanks in advance!   

You need to edit your monitor presets (to suit your display) and re-generate your video modes with VMMaker.

All the instructions are there at F.

Final tweaking with ArcadeOSD (in same folder as VMMaker).

roostaar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 03:18:20 pm »
OK man, I better read again, and probably again!