Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VGA questions  (Read 2349 times)

MikeyJ122

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2019, 08:10:59 am
  • Game on!!!
VGA questions
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »
SO... I built my Arcade machine with an old Dell Dimension I had lying around my house. It won't run ANY disc based systems, so the newest it WILL run is N64. Which I have accepted that, but thats not why I'm here. It ONLY has VGA outputs, should I get a HDMI converter? Is it necessary? I don't really want to upgrade, because the machine works fine, even though I know it's pretty OLD even by emulation standards. I have always hooked it up to TV's via the VGA output, which for most arcade games, seems fine to me. But now that Nintendo is releasing their plug and play systems, I would like my machine to be as good as possible (video speaking). SO will getting a converter make much of difference? Will I get lag? ANY thoughts some of you might have, I would appreciate. Thanks
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: VGA questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:49 pm »
If you're using the same old (or old versions of) emulators on the same old PC, i doubt there's much benefit to converting VGA to HDMI - as long as your TV can handle VGA, of course. And yes, the analog-to-digital conversion would introduce lag, which really annoys some people.

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:14:35 pm »
Thanks 👍
Yes my TV does support VGA (that's why I bought that particular model). Lag would REALLY bother me, so I dont want to go that route. Thanks again.
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

rrcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 10:37:08 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:11:17 am »
I’m in the same boat I got an old computer I want to hook up to a new smart tv to run Hyperspin with a bunch of emulators but the computer only has vga out. Are there any new smart TVs with vga in? I assume as mentioned the vga to hdmi converter will affect video and make it lag, etc?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 06:56:11 pm »
Not only that, the smart TV itself will process the image and add more lag. Sadly this is the way LCD's and LED's work. When i was looking at TV's about a year ago none of them had VGA ports anymore. You might look into something by HD fury to convert the VGA signal to component video, i guess, if you get a TV that will take that. Or a similar unit from another manufacturer.

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »
Walmart sells a couple different brands of low end HD TVs that still have VGA inputs. I feel they work pretty good for Arcade machines. Maybe not as good as a CRT, but I wouldn't use a CRT TV at this point regardless. They are just so big and heavy.
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 07:16:38 pm »
Walmart sells a couple different brands of low end HD TVs that still have VGA inputs. I feel they work pretty good for Arcade machines. Maybe not as good as a CRT, but I wouldn't use a CRT TV at this point regardless. They are just so big and heavy.

A 19 inch arcade CRT is easily manageable. Geez. People act like they weigh 600 pounds.

MikeyJ122

• Offline Offline
  • Game on!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 10:34:07 pm »
It's not just the weight, but the bulk of them as well. Besides, I dont want a 19" ANYTHING. Its 32" for me, and I have a 32" CRT, and that thing is a BEAST. I'd MUCH rather have a 32" flat screen.

Besides I'm more into MAME than I am genuine Arcade, so flat screens are a lot more user friendly.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 10:36:01 pm by MikeyJ122 »
ARCADE GAMES RULE!!!

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:30:39 am
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 07:01:55 pm »
If you want to stay with non-CRTs, at some point you're going to have to choose between a new graphics card (with DVI or HDMI out) and a new TV. I'm pretty sure the graphics card will be cheaper, esp as it doesn't need to be fancy to do MAME.

Check out my completed projects!