Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Demul input lag  (Read 3196 times)

TheManuel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
Demul input lag
« on: October 22, 2018, 03:09:46 pm »
Hi, all.

I recently migrated my Naomi and Atomiswave games from Makaron to the latest Demul release (demul07_180428) but have noticed a lot of input lag with vsync on.  It's much better without vsync but the screen tear is horrendous.  I also tried forcing vsync with the nVidia CP instead but the effect is the same.  Lastly, I tried the "fast sync" option in Nvidia CP but it cuts the frame rate at least by half.

Has anybody wrestled with input lag in Demul?
"The Manuel"

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 12:12:29 pm
Re: Demul input lag
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 09:21:29 pm »
Oh yes I’ve noticed it. It sucks.

I think the best way to play Naomi & Atomiswave is going to be via Retroarch with the runahead feature which, if you already have a low lag monitor, gets rid of input lag. It really is a groundbreaking feature.

There are already many titles that run great but I’m not sure if runahead is enabled yet for the core.

You could try RA as it may have less input lag than Demul but if you’re expecting full compatibility with the entire Naomi/Atomiswave library, you’re going to be disappointed...

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:09:42 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I would like to stick to Demul because I've spent so much time configuring everything but I hope this improves in the future, perhaps through implementation of exclusive fullscreen or some other way.  I don't play these games a ton, I more like collect them  :lol.

At least I know it's not something in my setup.  It's too bad because I've never notice lag on an emulator so much as I did on this one.
"The Manuel"

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 04:21:06 pm »
No it’s definitely not your set up. I even tried Demul on my CRT and it was still horrible. When you’re getting bad lag even on a CRT, that’s just not good.

Like you I spent the time setting up the different JAMMA controls with Rocketlauncher so everything is seamless but I ended up removing it my my cab. I’ve come to the conclusion that playability trumps quantity so anything that just doesn’t feel right I remove off my cab.

As far as waiting for Demul to be fixed from this...I’m not too confident; development seems to trickle out these days. RA on the other hand, whoever is working on the Dreamcast core I can tell you development is very active and is progressing fast. Give it another year I wouldn’t be surprised if it surpasses Demul.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:09:37 pm »
OK, now you've really piqued my interest.  I am going to keep an eye out for Reicast and switch to it once it is more mature and supports Atomiswave games properly.
Does it use the same roms as MAME?
"The Manuel"

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:41:15 pm »
It does but if memory serves me  you need to convert them to .lst files I think?

I think Nulldc used .lst for Naomi too.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:34:38 pm »
OK.  Before Demul I was using Makaron and it had good lag so I broke something that did not need fixing.  Oh well, at least my new launch script is really nice  ;)
I wanted to unify all Naomi / AW games into one emulator and get rid of a lot of clunky code I had in my scripts (anal retentive).
I have the luxury of time, I guess.  I'll monitor Reicast or its RA implementation.  I have RA setup already for my old console games, which I load from Steam, so at least I'm familiar with the system.
 :cheers:
"The Manuel"

kalawangman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2018, 06:05:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 03:34:08 pm »
Can someone convince the Demul guys that input lag vs. original hardware isnt the same?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:04:34 pm by kalawangman »

kalawangman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2018, 06:05:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 03:52:20 pm »
I think RunAhead with Retroarch reicast is possible now cause savestates are now implemented. Im not sure. The thing that's off with Reicast are the inputs. Feels off no matter what tweaks I do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:05:58 pm by kalawangman »