Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice on connecting a PS2 with gun con 2 with RGB arcade monitor  (Read 3963 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I want to connect a PS2 to my tri-sync arcade monitor (cga, ega vga) and use a Guncon 2 (In 15khz mode).

The monitor has a standard arcade RGBS molex port and a 15 pin d-sub (vga style) port that accepts RGBS and RGBHV. I also have an Extron RGB interface that could convert sync on green to composite sync if needed.

Would I be able to connect a Guncon 2 to the green or sync line from one of the cheap PS2 scart cables or a Ultimarc PS2 to db15 cable for tri-sync arcade monitors? I noticed that people who use PS2 component video cables are able to connect their Guncon to the green plug. I was wondering if it could work the same way with RGB.

I am trying to avoid spending $50 on a scart cable with Guncon from the UK, plus another $40 for scart to BNC adapters given that I bought this PS2 used for $35.... and I know how to solder a wire if necessary...

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: Advice on connecting a PS2 with gun con 2 with RGB arcade monitor
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:17:49 pm »

If you aren't able to open up the PS2 and do some soldering, you would need a sync separator.  There are some plans out there to build a simple one from a chip and a few support components.  You would also need a component cable with composite video out (for the GunCon to attach to) and the appropriate adapters to connect to your monitor.

I just did the legwork to find a usable sync signal on a 50000 model unit.  If you have one of these, there are 3 pretty simple to use solder points for H, V and Composite which seem to work well on my big Mitsubishis.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 05:12:29 pm »

If you aren't able to open up the PS2 and do some soldering, you would need a sync separator.  There are some plans out there to build a simple one from a chip and a few support components.  You would also need a component cable with composite video out (for the GunCon to attach to) and the appropriate adapters to connect to your monitor.

I just did the legwork to find a usable sync signal on a 50000 model unit.  If you have one of these, there are 3 pretty simple to use solder points for H, V and Composite which seem to work well on my big Mitsubishis.

I already have a sync seperator in my rgb cable and another one in my RGB interface. I just need to know what signal the Guncon needs to connect to. I have R,G,B and S output. I need to find out which of these connect to the Guncon.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 02:27:04 pm »

I already have a sync seperator in my rgb cable and another one in my RGB interface. I just need to know what signal the Guncon needs to connect to. I have R,G,B and S output. I need to find out which of these connect to the Guncon.

I could be mistaken, but it is my understanding that the composite video connection to the GunCon is simply a source for it to acquire a composite sync signal.  I would try giving it a composite sync and see what happens.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 02:59:48 pm »

I could be mistaken, but it is my understanding that the composite video connection to the GunCon is simply a source for it to acquire a composite sync signal.  I would try giving it a composite sync and see what happens.

You are correct. I got an answer from another forum saying the same. It just needs a sync signal from either SOG or composite sync. Sounds easy enough especially because I plan to use a breakout board to go from my PS3 vga cable to my arcade monitor (so I don't have to unplug my mame pc).

Retro77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2023, 08:50:10 am
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 06:17:15 pm »
Hi all,

I would love to add a light gun to my cab. Would you be able to describe what I would need to do to make this happen. I have Guncon 2s already. My PC is running groovymame 0.203 with CRT Emudriver already.

Cheers

Edit: Apologies, I misunderstood your request.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 09:19:55 pm by Retro77 »

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 04:03:05 pm »
Hi all,

I would love to add a light gun to my cab. Would you be able to describe what I would need to do to make this happen. I have Guncon 2s already. My PC is running groovymame 0.203 with CRT Emudriver already.

Cheers

Edit: Apologies, I misunderstood your request.

There is a thread on this site with info about Guncon 2 drivers for Windows 7.

My advice would be to forget mame for light gun games and buy a PS2 (if you haven't already). A lot of the best light gun games don't work in mame yet and there is little signs that they will be fast-tracked any time soon. The ones that do work often don't work that well.

PS2's are dirt cheap and you can play Time Crisis 1, 2, 3, zone and Titan. Then You have two Virtua cop games, Vampire Night, Ninja assault, Star Wars Rebel assault, Judge Dredd, 3 silent scope games and a bunch of others.

You need a CRT monitor obviously too.