Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: William's Defender Arcade Controller Setup  (Read 1633 times)

doobliss30

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2018, 05:36:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
William's Defender Arcade Controller Setup
« on: October 20, 2018, 12:07:24 pm »
Hey everyone I know the question I am about to ask has been asked often but in my search I haven't been able to find the answer I've been looking for. If I have a standard fighting controller (Joystick on one side and 6 buttons on the other with 2 rows of 3 buttons) what would be the best controller setup for Defender. Another question on top of that is there way to restrict my joystick so it only moves up and down without needing to purchase something else? I was thinking if there was a way to restrict it with any home items. The original defender only had a 2 way joystick so playing with a 4 way or 8 way makes it difficult to play how it was mean't to be played. Thank you in advanced!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Re: William's Defender Arcade Controller Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 02:27:37 pm »
If I have a standard fighting controller (Joystick on one side and 6 buttons on the other with 2 rows of 3 buttons) what would be the best controller setup for Defender.
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately a standard fighting controller is not the most comfortable to play Defender on due to the amount of buttons you need, and the closeness of their positions to one another.
But if you have no choice, you should try to keep your fingers in the same position you’d play on a real CP. but the problem is the Hyperspace button, there is no great assignment with that layout. Here is what I’d do:

1K - reverse
1P - smart bomb
2P - thrust
3P - Shoot
2K - hyperspace
3K - unassigned

This will be cramped, but at least the buttons will be in somewhat the same order. You’d still be able to hit reverse with your left thumb, right index on smart, right middle on thrust, and right ring on shoot. You’d have to curl your right thumb under your fingers to hit hyper, unfortunately.

Another question on top of that is there way to restrict my joystick so it only moves up and down without needing to purchase something else? I was thinking if there was a way to restrict it with any home items. The original defender only had a 2 way joystick so playing with a 4 way or 8 way makes it difficult to play how it was mean't to be played. Thank you in advanced!
I don’t know why you’d want to rig up some diy solution just to save a few bucks, when restriction gates are available. If you have a standard quality fight stick, you’d most likely have a Sanwa JLF joystick in there. There are 2-way restrictors available at various part suppliers for under $5.
https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-gt-2f-2-way-restrictor-plate/

Lastly, from the look of your written descriptions it sounds like you might be a bit inexperienced with arcade controls, specifically Fight sticks. I would recommend you take some time to read through the extensive information on slagcoin: https://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html
There’s a LOT of information there on types of controls, layouts, accessories, diy...and more! It’s a great resource, and might have more information you’re looking for.
It might also show you how easy you can make your own arcade stick, but perhaps with a proper Defender layout.

Hope this info helps.  :cheers:

doobliss30

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2018, 05:36:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 05:36:17 pm »
If I have a standard fighting controller (Joystick on one side and 6 buttons on the other with 2 rows of 3 buttons) what would be the best controller setup for Defender.
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately a standard fighting controller is not the most comfortable to play Defender on due to the amount of buttons you need, and the closeness of their positions to one another.
But if you have no choice, you should try to keep your fingers in the same position you’d play on a real CP. but the problem is the Hyperspace button, there is no great assignment with that layout. Here is what I’d do:

1K - reverse
1P - smart bomb
2P - thrust
3P - Shoot
2K - hyperspace
3K - unassigned

This will be cramped, but at least the buttons will be in somewhat the same order. You’d still be able to hit reverse with your left thumb, right index on smart, right middle on thrust, and right ring on shoot. You’d have to curl your right thumb under your fingers to hit hyper, unfortunately.

Another question on top of that is there way to restrict my joystick so it only moves up and down without needing to purchase something else? I was thinking if there was a way to restrict it with any home items. The original defender only had a 2 way joystick so playing with a 4 way or 8 way makes it difficult to play how it was mean't to be played. Thank you in advanced!
I don’t know why you’d want to rig up some diy solution just to save a few bucks, when restriction gates are available. If you have a standard quality fight stick, you’d most likely have a Sanwa JLF joystick in there. There are 2-way restrictors available at various part suppliers for under $5.
https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-gt-2f-2-way-restrictor-plate/

Lastly, from the look of your written descriptions it sounds like you might be a bit inexperienced with arcade controls, specifically Fight sticks. I would recommend you take some time to read through the extensive information on slagcoin: https://www.slagcoin.com/joystick.html
There’s a LOT of information there on types of controls, layouts, accessories, diy...and more! It’s a great resource, and might have more information you’re looking for.
It might also show you how easy you can make your own arcade stick, but perhaps with a proper Defender layout.

Hope this info helps.  :cheers:

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!

jimmer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 06:03:11 pm
  • I want to play Defender like at the arcade.
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 11:14:25 am »
It would help to know how close the nearest button is to the stick (for reverse).

If you never plan to play competitively on a proper layout, then there is no problem training yourself on a personal layout.

Thrust and Fire are the two buttons in continuous and concurrent use. Use whatever is comfortable. I use my thumb for thrust because I can't seem to flutter my middle finger while keeping my index still.

There is a problem in the code that causes reverse to be missed at super busy times, especially with fast firing as well, so it wouldn't be a terrible plan to use right hand (fire finger) for reverse.
On forums jimmer speaks for himself as a Defender fan, not as proprietor of www.jbgaming.co.uk  << Is that advertising or disclosure ? or both ?