Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 640x480 only takes up about 2/3 of the screen  (Read 1798 times)

rbtconsultants

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2021, 06:33:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
640x480 only takes up about 2/3 of the screen
« on: October 19, 2018, 11:07:39 pm »
Forgive me if this is the wrong place. I am new and a bit over my head. I tried to register on Eiusdemmodi but had some trouble. I have a problem I need help with.

I bought a 15 year old mame cabinet on Craigslist. It has an XP machine with an early ArcadeVGA card and an early JPAC and an early IPAC and a 25" CRT monitor with a P790 remote board. I can provide many more details if it will help but I'm trying to keep this concise.

The machine works fine and has a great display at 800x600 on the CRT, but old computer software and hardware. I decided to build a new computer to run it. The new computer has Windows 7 and a Radeon HD 8570 card I have installed CRT Emudriver 2.0 on it using an LCD monitor.

I followed the step-by-step guide from Calamity on how to install CRT Emudriver 2.0. Everything went fine until I got to enabling EDID Emulation. I did it, and my LCD went out of band as expected, and I plugged the JPAC into the 8570 DVI-I port with a VGA Adapter.  At this point I can see Windows Desktop BUT:

It only takes up about 2/3 of the screen. There are large black areas above and below the visible screen. The whole desktop appears to be there, it's just short. The screen resolution shows as 640x480.

I would love to get this to look just like the ArcadeVGA does, with an 800x600 screen perfectly displayed on the whole screen. I have read and read but I haven't really found any path forward.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 04:22:12 am by Calamity »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: 640x480 only takes up about 2/3 of the screen
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 04:29:54 am »
This is expected. Previously you had your monitor's vertical size adjusted for 800x600. Now when you feed it with 640x480, you get black borders above and below the visible screen. Bear in mind 480 is 20% shorter than 600. What you need to do is to readjust your monitor's vertical size potentiometer to the new screen size.

While you could create a 800x600 mode with VMMaker, my advice is not to do this, because 600 is an unnatural height for a 15 kHz monitor, so it will require an extreme v-size setting that will become a problem to accommodate the usual 15 kHz resolutions (224-240p, 480i), unless you feel like adjusting this potentiometer each time you switch from desktop to game.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

rbtconsultants

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2021, 06:33:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: 640x480 only takes up about 2/3 of the screen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 02:09:31 pm »
Calamity - thank you. I feel a little silly, but I didn't want to just fiddle with stuff randomly, and I was a little worried about those pots is they were overly sensitive or I couldn't get them back where they were if something went wrong.

Turns out that worked great, 640x480 is fine and my new Hyperspin/Groovymame machine is really awesome now.

Thanks for all you do.

Bob