Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project - Starcade (Finished!)  (Read 17630 times)

GandalfTheRed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2020, 05:18:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Project - Starcade (Finished!)
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:13:00 pm »
Hi All,

I have been reading the forums for months and I am ready to start my build.  I know from reading that there are some members with some very strong opinions but I do want some advice on a couple of things.  But before I ask for advice,  here is what I am doing....

I am building a 4 up cab -- this is a non negotiable --- I am a high school teacher and the cab will either live in my classroom or in the hallway right outside my classroom. I already have approval from my principal to put it there! Because its in a school I expect 4 players to be commonly used.

I am planning to copy  ChanceKJ's Flynn's Arcadehttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135116.0.html
Or Pauly's Ready Player One http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146068.0.html

With Jarret's Paranoids CP - without the tron stick or spinner.... 
On the CP  - Player 1 & 2 only 6 buttons --- Servosticks
                - Player 3 & 4 only 4 buttons --- Zippyy Sticks with the sticks straight, not angled
                - 4 start buttons
                - 4 control buttons

I found 2 over under coin doors with the mechs on ebay for $15 each (both doors with shipping was $60 total ). So I will be using those and using tokens for coinbuttons and keeping those buttons off the panel. I also like the idea of being able to control how often the machine is used by controlling the tokens, if I don't want kids using the machine I wont give out any tokens.

This is a work in progress of the cp layout - I am working on removing coin buttons right now.

The mascot of the school I work at is "the Stars" (I know its weird)... so the theme of the cabinet will be stars / space. Hence the name Starcade - I know there was a disneyland starcade but I am not copying that theme just stealing the name.

I have an old dell pc already setup with a 32inch lcd tv, running Launchbox with Mame and Daphne and I am sticking with arcade games with a few fighters but I might add classic Nintendo games as well - not N64. Both the PC and the TV were free so I'm sticking to them.

Ok so here are my questions. I am going with RGB buttons, I know some people don't like them but I do. I am torn between Ultimarc's Utralux Buttons $6.15 each (I was thinking the chrome ones)  and Groovy Game gears Eclipse buttons $6.60 each. Ultimarc's classic RGBs are too expensive at over $8 each and groovygame gears classic like buttons are sold out.   Do any you have any opinions on which I should go with?

My other is question is which wood to make my cabinet out of, I have 4 options each has pros and cons...

Birch Plywood  - $68 per sheet - light weight but will be hard to paint and not see grain.
MDF - $32 per sheet - heavy as heck and brittle but will give a smooth surface, also the cheapest option.
Black Melamine  $82 per sheet - heavy and particle board core, wont have to paint, but I am afraid of chipping the surface.
MDO - $87 per sheet - Light weight, waterproof, smooth surface, most expensive.

Which do I pick?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:52:28 pm by GandalfTheRed »

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: Project - Starcade
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:05:10 pm »
With regards to wood...  personally I wouldn't go with MDF, because I hate the dust, and I hate the weight of it, and it does swell if it gets wet.

Seems you're spending a lot of money anyway on controls so for me I'd go nice quality (marine) plywood.  Yes it's hard to paint, but it's not impossible and you can get a really good finish if you put the elbow grease in - why not get some help from your students? I'm sure they'd love to learn painting techniques. (Look for Ond's tutorial here on this forum).

A lot of people on here will probably beat me down for suggesting plywood and say "MDF all the way", but that's my preference.  Either way, good luck with your build  :cheers:

p.s. Are you concerned with copyright issues on the games that will be on the cab in a public(?) place?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 03:21:56 pm »
With regards to wood...  personally I wouldn't go with MDF, because I hate the dust, and I hate the weight of it, and it does swell if it gets wet.

Seems you're spending a lot of money anyway on controls so for me I'd go nice quality (marine) plywood.  Yes it's hard to paint, but it's not impossible and you can get a really good finish if you put the elbow grease in - why not get some help from your students? I'm sure they'd love to learn painting techniques. (Look for Ond's tutorial here on this forum).

A lot of people on here will probably beat me down for suggesting plywood and say "MDF all the way", but that's my preference.  Either way, good luck with your build  :cheers:

p.s. Are you concerned with copyright issues on the games that will be on the cab in a public(?) place?

I prefer plywood as well although MDF is a lot easier to paint.  The drawbacks to MDF you mentioned are valid.    My preferred method is laminate over birth plywood.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 03:33:45 pm »
Aww, I was thinking the theme was going to be a homage to Starcade the TV show...

! No longer available

Anyway, my only advice is to change that CP shape to something more traditional . There's a reason the old 4 player cabinets didn't put too much fancy shape into the CPs. And unless you put P3 and P4 further away from P1 & 2, you're going to get elbows bumping into control hands.  I say this time and time again, I don't know why people insist on using Chance's CP shape design for their projects. It's not ergonomically sound, and is worse than the traditional rectangle or trapezoid-like shape.

Easier to cut. Better for ergonomics.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 04:05:49 pm »
-Everyone that plays if you keep the CP that shape

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 05:59:14 pm »
Yeah. Somehow the worst shape became the most popular. It's the Justin Bieber of control panel shapes.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:05 pm »
Yeah. Somehow the worst shape became the most popular. It's the Justin Bieber of control panel shapes.

It’s because they copycat the build without asking why. Chance did a great job documenting it, so dudes just figure they’ll follow along without questions. It’s all about playing dem bideo gamez.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 06:12:15 pm »
I will work on changing the panel shape... from a newbies perspective this is why I was planning to use that panel, and I think this is why so many people do.

Its easy to find Jarret's photoshop file.  This makes it easy to print out the layout for cutting.

Its also easy to change the graphics to what you want. There are nice button hole place holders you can move around.  And since its already done on the computer I don't have to draft a panel in a cad program to be able to do custom graphics. I can just throw my graphics into his photoshop file and bam my custom graphics are ready to go.

I would have loved an illustrator file so it would be easier to change the shape, but no such luck.

I have not had the opportunity to actually play on a machine that uses that CP so its hard to judge when just looking at pictures whether it will be comfortable or not. But lots of people seem to have made it, and there is even a company that sells cabinets that uses it,  so my thinking was that if a lot of people made it it can't be all that bad.... And it looks cool.

Anyway that was my thinking...

It does make sense that the shape would make it uncomfortable.  I am going to play with it and maybe make a curved rectangle by removing those cutouts in front of P3 and P4. I will post pictures and if people seem to think its ok I will post the photoshop file, so others can use it.

Still trying to decided on the wood and buttons.... anybody have experience with MDO?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 09:09:16 pm »
I think it’s funny people build that panel, yet the designer of it never did...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 09:13:01 pm »
Oh, and if you really want to build the aircraft carrier, I mean, go for it. But I think Opt2Not provides very valid points as to why it’s not a great shape, without venturing into so-called “hater” territory.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 09:31:02 pm »
I got this advice from multiple members on this board, and it was very hard for me to visualize what people were talking about.  In working on MULTIPLE configurations for a 4 player panel, I finally understand what everyone has been talking about.  I had planned after working on the build log to create a separate topic on the 4 player panel design to give visuals to what finally clicked for me.  Below kind of summarize it, if you build the controls at certain angles you force the players to either be close together or further apart:

VS.

You can see that by changing both the angle of the buttons and sticks as well as the shape of the panel affects the angle at which players play and of course whether or not they bump into each other.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 09:52:38 pm »
I got this advice from multiple members on this board, and it was very hard for me to visualize what people were talking about.  In working on MULTIPLE configurations for a 4 player panel, I finally understand what everyone has been talking about.  I had planned after working on the build log to create a separate topic on the 4 player panel design to give visuals to what finally clicked for me.  Below kind of summarize it, if you build the controls at certain angles you force the players to either be close together or further apart:

VS.

You can see that by changing both the angle of the buttons and sticks as well as the shape of the panel affects the angle at which players play and of course whether or not they bump into each other.

Wow! Nicely illustrated, Arroyo!! First beer is on me at ZapCon!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 10:04:41 pm »
Wow! Nicely illustrated, Arroyo!! First beer is on me at ZapCon!

As they say...worth a thousand words...

You’re the host, drinks on me buddy.  Looking forward to it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:32:15 pm »
Hopefully the Scottbot saves those graphics on his computer for ease of use.

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 02:25:12 pm »

VS.

This was enlightening, thanks for sharing.

I am modifying my CP,  so here is what I have come up with based on your pictures. I have tried to angle the controls so that the players are farther apart.

Is this better?

I would still like to hear if anyone has any strong opionions about the Ultralux vs the Eclipse buttons. its hard to choose with out actually being able to see them in person.

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 02:29:18 pm by GandalfTheRed »

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2018, 06:27:58 pm »
Ok here is the new CP layout....

Will it work?

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:35:25 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2018, 08:00:25 pm »
Loads better. Try a mock up of p1/p3 to see if you have enough space to rest your wrist while playing. You may not need it depending on your stance/play style but I found I needed at least 3" below the stick to play comfortably.

There's probably a playground joke in there somewhere...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 08:47:55 pm »
1. Remove the "Menu" (Tab) button.
- Allowing any means of MAME menu access to kids pretty much guarantees that at least one of them is going to mess up the configuration in ways both subtle and spectacular.   :banghead:   :angry:  *You have been warned.* [/Foamy imitation]
- If there is a shifted function for "Menu" on your encoder, disable it. (P1 Start + P1 joystick right on I-Pac)
- Once you finish setting things up, there should be almost no reason to access the MAME menu system.  Hide a keyboard inside the coin door for just such an emergency.

2. "Play" button isn't needed.
- Most people use P1 Joystick to navigate the Front End menus and P1B1 to launch the desired game.
- An eye-catching, clearly-worded, illustrated instruction card is your friend.

3. Increase the space between Pause and Exit to reduce the odds of hitting the wrong button.
- The distance between P3 + P1 Start buttons looks like a reasonable minimum gap or just put Pause where Play is now and eliminate the two middle buttons.

4. If the gap from #3 is not large enough, you might want to put Exit on the left and Pause on the right.
- Most people are right-handed.
- Most people will press the button with their index finger.
- When they press the left button, there is a chance that their pinky or ring fingers will also accidently press the right button.
-- An accidental Pause is better than an accidental Exit.
- When they press the right button, the odds of an accidental left button press are much lower.
-- Less chance of an accidental Exit.
------------
Install the buttons and sticks on a cardboard/hardboard mockup and test the ergonomics and spacing for yourself.

Scott

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 07:52:46 am »
I agree about the menu button.

On my first cabinet there was a four button combination that you had to press to get into the guts of mame. People can really screw stuff up in there. Mame will let you map silly combos like that.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 08:45:04 am »
Ok here is the new CP layout....

Will it work?

Depending on how you design the sides of your cabinet you may have viewing angle issues with players 3 & 4 being far away from 1 & 2. 

As Scott says you really don’t need hardly any, if any at all admin buttons.  In Rocket Launcher you can specify holding a button(s) for a determined amount of time for Exit, Pause or anything else.  This allows less buttons and less likelihood of accidental Exit.  It also makes it a lot easier to bring players 3 & 4 closer into the middle of you panel. 

One of the best layouts for a 4 player in my opinion was Maximus’ build:

adamcian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 12:14:33 am
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 10:39:02 pm »
I would still like to hear if anyone has any strong opionions about the Ultralux vs the Eclipse buttons. its hard to choose with out actually being able to see them in person.

I feel a bit uniquely qualified to answer your question as I literally just received and have been testing your options along with some others:

I’m just beginning my build as well and have wanted ‘classy’ RGB buttons (seems I’m not alone). I ordered the two you have mentioned along with two other options as well.  More importantly, I also ordered basically one of every kind of switch offered with each Pictured in my ghetto test CP are:

Spectra Eclipse w/ Helios 9: https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=408. These are by far the most ‘complete’ package all around and surprised me as I didn’t think I’d prefer them. The LED is the best and the action when pair with the micro-leaf switch is amazing. The standard Soft-touch switch is fine, but if you can swing the $, def try the micro-leaf. Two downsides to this option are that button is convex (if you don’t prefer that, but I do) and the cables for the LED just have loose ends so I had to fab a female end for the pins on my iPac.

IL Translucent black/clear: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/controls/buttons/buttons-il-industrias-lorenzo/il-psl-l-transparent/2309_il-psl-l-translucent-with-black-concave-plunger with: IL-lumination RGB: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/electrical/leds/button-leds/100_il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led- . These guys are great as well and it’s a hard debate between these and the Spectra. I thought they’d be the ones I’m going with (hence why I bought 8), but I’m not sure now with the Spectra. The button feel is such classic IL from arcade and has four different options for the switch (I liked both the 50g standard and the 75g Cherry, and the Rollie Leaf is super classic, but stay clear of the 20g). The LED is pretty cool system without having to mod the button, however you sacrifice a bit of brightness b/c it’s down much further and bleeds into the CP due to that. Also, it just didn’t quite work with the cherry switch, think you’d have to shave some mm off to get a better fit. I’d also maybe try a small mod to sheath the button and channel the light to match the clarity of the Helios 9.

Ultimarc GoldLeaf RGB: http://www.ultimarc.com/goldleaf.html. These guys are super interesting if you like traditional fight stick Sanwa-style buttons. Great, unique feeling ‘non-clicky’ action. RGB is very bright and clear. If I didn’t specifically want the ‘halo’ look I might have chosen these.

Ultimarc Ultralux RGB: http://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html. Hard to pick over their brethren above honestly, b/c the Gold Leaf felt better to me in every way; action,  touch, lighting. It gives you more option for having traditional or custom feel I guess, since you can swap the switch, but the stock was fine.

I’d highly recommend you buy at least one of each like I did and try for yourself. It made a world of difference for me to have them in hand and play in my test CP. Hopefully that helps with your decision making a bit more. Of course, the most expensive one is my current preference, but it’s honestly really close with the IL for their flexibility and $ balance. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good look with your build, I’ll be starting my post soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AkAdam44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2021, 12:41:04 pm
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 10:56:37 pm »

I feel a bit uniquely qualified to answer your question as I literally just received and have been testing your options along with some others:

I’m just beginning my build as well and have wanted ‘classy’ RGB buttons (seems I’m not alone). I ordered the two you have mentioned along with two other options as well.  More importantly, I also ordered basically one of every kind of switch offered with each Pictured in my ghetto test CP are:

Spectra Eclipse w/ Helios 9: https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=408. These are by far the most ‘complete’ package all around and surprised me as I didn’t think I’d prefer them. The LED is the best and the action when pair with the micro-leaf switch is amazing. The standard Soft-touch switch is fine, but if you can swing the $, def try the micro-leaf. Two downsides to this option are that button is convex (if you don’t prefer that, but I do) and the cables for the LED just have loose ends so I had to fab a female end for the pins on my iPac.

IL Translucent black/clear: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/controls/buttons/buttons-il-industrias-lorenzo/il-psl-l-transparent/2309_il-psl-l-translucent-with-black-concave-plunger with: IL-lumination RGB: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/en/home/electrical/leds/button-leds/100_il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led- . These guys are great as well and it’s a hard debate between these and the Spectra. I thought they’d be the ones I’m going with (hence why I bought 8), but I’m not sure now with the Spectra. The button feel is such classic IL from arcade and has four different options for the switch (I liked both the 50g standard and the 75g Cherry, and the Rollie Leaf is super classic, but stay clear of the 20g). The LED is pretty cool system without having to mod the button, however you sacrifice a bit of brightness b/c it’s down much further and bleeds into the CP due to that. Also, it just didn’t quite work with the cherry switch, think you’d have to shave some mm off to get a better fit. I’d also maybe try a small mod to sheath the button and channel the light to match the clarity of the Helios 9.

Ultimarc GoldLeaf RGB: http://www.ultimarc.com/goldleaf.html. These guys are super interesting if you like traditional fight stick Sanwa-style buttons. Great, unique feeling ‘non-clicky’ action. RGB is very bright and clear. If I didn’t specifically want the ‘halo’ look I might have chosen these.

Ultimarc Ultralux RGB: http://www.ultimarc.com/ultralux.html. Hard to pick over their brethren above honestly, b/c the Gold Leaf felt better to me in every way; action,  touch, lighting. It gives you more option for having traditional or custom feel I guess, since you can swap the switch, but the stock was fine.

I’d highly recommend you buy at least one of each like I did and try for yourself. It made a world of difference for me to have them in hand and play in my test CP. Hopefully that helps with your decision making a bit more. Of course, the most expensive one is my current preference, but it’s honestly really close with the IL for their flexibility and $ balance. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good look with your build, I’ll be starting my post soon.

Some great info! Thanks for sharing. I've been considering the same buttons and it's great to hear from someone who has them all on hand testing them out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

adamcian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 10:57:10 pm »
Birch Plywood  - $68 per sheet - light weight but will be hard to paint and not see grain.
MDF - $32 per sheet - heavy as heck and brittle but will give a smooth surface, also the cheapest option.
Black Melamine  $82 per sheet - heavy and particle board core, wont have to paint, but I am afraid of chipping the surface.
MDO - $87 per sheet - Light weight, waterproof, smooth surface, most expensive.

Which do I pick?

Also, forgot to mention I’m going with Black Melamine 4x8 sheets for my build. Mostly that’s b/c I suck at (and despise) painting, but I also was able to source for $55/sheet so the cost made it a no-brainer.

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 01:29:38 pm »

Thanks Adamcian!!!! This is exactly the info I was looking for! 

I was leaning towards the Eclipse buttons and I think I might go with them ( I like concave buttons better but I can live with convex) How did you create ends for them for the Ipac?   Where and what did you order to make the ends?

Its also funny that you are going to build with Melamine, I might just do the same... I just found sheets of 2-sided 3/4 Black Melamine for $33 each, the only problem is I will have to drive ~3hours  to get them.

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 01:47:35 pm »
Still working on the CP layout.

Based on the advice given here I have shrunk my Cp from ~ 46 inches wide to 40 inches wide.  I have left it at 18 inches deep.

This brings it closer to the scale of Maximus's CP, the best I can tell from the picture (and if he used a 3 inch trackball ) his CP is 37.5 inches x 19 inches (at the widest and tallest parts) 

Shrinking the width of the CP should make the viewing angle for player 3&4 better.

I also changed the control panel buttons.  Now they are just - Pause, Volume - , Volume +, Exit, and the 4 start buttons.

I wanted to keep Pause and Exit for ease of use. But I decided to add volume controls, this is going in a school like I said, so I want some easy controls to turn the volume up and down to not disturb other classes around me.  I am using an amplifier to power speakers that has a volume control but I am going to lock that away inside the cabinet and use that to set the maximum volume of the cabinet. Then the buttons on the control panel can make it quieter if needed.

Here is the new layout

adamcian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 11:40:05 pm »

Thanks Adamcian!!!! This is exactly the info I was looking for! 

I was leaning towards the Eclipse buttons and I think I might go with them ( I like concave buttons better but I can live with convex) How did you create ends for them for the Ipac?   Where and what did you order to make the ends?

Its also funny that you are going to build with Melamine, I might just do the same... I just found sheets of 2-sided 3/4 Black Melamine for $33 each, the only problem is I will have to drive ~3hours  to get them.

Just need some 1 x 4P pin DuPont connectors and a crimp tool.

I’d def go for the melamine at that price. Make a template first out of cheap hardboard to get your cuts feeling right and then get yourself a good flush trim bit for your router and slowly follow the template. Use painters tape liberally on the surface to prevent splits/cracks/damage and you can use a jig saw to cheat hard inside corners.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2018, 03:17:40 am »
I wanted to keep Pause and Exit for ease of use. But I decided to add volume controls, this is going in a school like I said, so I want some easy controls to turn the volume up and down to not disturb other classes around me.  I am using an amplifier to power speakers that has a volume control but I am going to lock that away inside the cabinet and use that to set the maximum volume of the cabinet. Then the buttons on the control panel can make it quieter if needed.
You might want to consider to be able to (remotely) turn off the amp fully. I don't know how old those kids are, but I was a real pain in the ass and would turn up the volume anyway if told otherwise. Something like these maybe: https://goo.gl/wPc1h5
Or something wifi based (Sonoff maybe, or make something yourself based off an ESP board).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 02:18:42 pm by barrymossel »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2018, 12:25:10 pm »

Based on the advice given here I have shrunk my Cp from ~ 46 inches wide to 40 inches wide.  I have left it at 18 inches deep.

One thing to consider is you will have a gap between your screen and the control panel with the back area being straight.  On the Maximus control panel that I referenced you may notice that it is pushed back to fill that gap (where the admin buttons are).

I also changed the control panel buttons.  Now they are just - Pause, Volume - , Volume +, Exit, and the 4 start buttons.

Makes sense that you would want volume controls, have you considered a potentiometer instead?  Not only would it be quicker and easier to control the volume BUT more importantly I think with the way you have it there would be a lot of accidental exit's when someone tried to turn the volume up.  If you are going to keep a dedicated exit button then I would again make sure you have to hold it for a period of time so its an intentional exit, or keep it as far away from other buttons as possible.

Here is the new layout

Looks good to me.  As Scott mentioned I'd consider mocking it up on cardboard before you commit.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »
You could also put a "shift" or "admin" button up on top of the cab and just assign the volume as shifted buttons.  For instance my volume buttons are shifted p2b3 and p2b6 buttons.  Then you could drop 2 more buttons off of the CP. 

You could also make the exit button shifted so it doesn't get accidentally pressed.  If you wanted to, you could do away with the whole top row, but I like having dedicated start buttons.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 07:23:02 am »
Same here. I have one shift button for exit (start button), volume (P1 up and down), pause (P1 button 1), etc. Sure it might be unclear to people playing the cab. But most of the time I will be there as well. And they actually have to only use exit anyway.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 10:18:31 am »
I don't have admin buttons either.  I have an exit button mounted under the CP, as far back as I could get it, and a configuration button mounted on top of the cab so none of the kids could get it.  Everything else uses P1 start as a shift.  I taught both kids (10 & 4 at the time) how to get to favorites, enter a game, exit a game and pause a game.

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2018, 03:17:26 pm »
Progress Update: 

I am going to order some buttons today, I decided to mix the controls a little. I decided on using Eclipse buttons for all the player buttons and the admin buttons will be ultralux with chrome.

I am still tweaking the control panel (I changed the angles of p3 and p4 again no pic this time though) and I have decided to completely redo the the art instead of using the space paranoids art. It will probably look similar because I like how it looks, but I wanted to tweak somethings and I have pushed modifying the existing art as far as I can with out rebuilding it so that is what I am working on. 

I will play around with the admin controls once my buttons and joysticks arrive and I can make a mock up but for now I am going to stick to what I have ( a pause, vol-, vol+, exit, and 4 starts) I feel ok about keeping the exit. I am using bigbox as my front end and you can lock down most of the damage kids can do using the exit button. All it will really allow them to do is back out of games and back out of playlists to switch to a different playlist. If they hit exit too many times it will take them to a big box screen that will make them either enter the unlock or go back to my playlists. They can't close bigbox using the exit button which works for me.

I have been working on the side art and the sides of the cabinet as well. I am using ChanceKJ's cabinet as a base and making tweaks here and there... Thanks Chance - your cabinet is awesome btw.  Here is version 1 of my side art, I know I will probably mess with it more before I am happy with it but this is will give you an idea where i am going with it... you can also see the changes to the shape of the side I am making .

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 03:25:24 pm »
Had access to a laser cutter today so I cut out a cardboard template for my control panel.  Player 3 doesn’t bump elbows with player 1 but it’s a bit uncomfortable to use player 3. I might have to play around with it a bit.

The weird line in the middle is to line up the 2 halves of the cp. The laser cutter won’t cut the whole width of the cp so I had to split it into 2 pieces. Once I’m happy with the layout I’m going to laser cut a template out of hardboard and then use a pattern bit on a router to actually cut the cp out of melamine. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 01:07:01 pm by GandalfTheRed »

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2019, 05:04:17 pm »
Started construction. I finally got all the pieces that I needed put together and found a local source for 2 sided Black Melamine. I have now mostly completed the cabinet, and I am going to start on the control panel soon.

Here are some progress pictures

I laser cut a template for the sides out of a sheet of cheap "puzzle board" its basically 1/4 inch thick press board. I had to cut it in 3 sections as the laser cutter is not big enough to do the whole thing in one go. I cut the side template twice and then glue laminated it so it was 1/2 inch thick.  you can see the laser cutter I used in the background of this pic. 

I then used a pattern bit to route the sides out of 3/4 inch 2 sided black MDF melamine.

This is what happens when you don't use enough clamps to hold the template in place   :banghead:

After a quick trip to buy another $54 sheet of MDF..... You can never use too many clamps.

Much better!

The finished side.

I got busy after this and have completed the cabinet section, And forgot to take pictures as I was going... sorry.

I will take some pictures of the finished cabinet section and post when I get a chance.

Next on the to do list is to build the marquee and the control panel.  I have laser cut the template for the control panel and glued it up now I just need the time to build it.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2019, 05:45:40 pm »
Good progress, and sorry to hear about that clamp correction you had to do.  But it's coming along fine, keep up the good work!  :cheers:

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
Re: Project - Starcade (4/3/19 Construction Upadate)
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 02:55:19 pm »
I spent a few minutes this morning taking pictures of what I have completed so far.  I have decided to keep the whole thing black and white (thanks blip  ;) ) This is mostly a cost savings measure. Art work was going to cost another $350 and I cant afford it at the moment. I figured I could always add it later if I decided I wanted to.

I still have lots of work to do.  I still need to add the monitor support and the front glass, as well as add a board to support the control panel.  I also need to drill a couple of holes to be able to run the wires from the base of the cabinet to the top and control panel.

Double over under coin doors. I modified the coin acceptors to take tokens.

locking keyboard door. I am actually going to put the whole computer in there for ease of access.

The side profile. I really like how the profile looks but that slope on the top didn't leave much room for the marquee.

The back... I still have to drill holes for some case fans to keep everything cool.

Access door. I bought 10 keyed alike barrel locks. I have locks on the coin doors, keyboard/ computer access door, and the back panel. I am also going to add one to be able to lock the control panel.

Troy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2019, 04:34:07 am
    • Troydo gallery
Re: Project - Starcade (4/3/19 Construction Update)
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2019, 08:50:30 pm »
Fantastic looking project! very similar to what i am trying to achieve at the moment.

Great idea JudgeRob on the shift button on top, that will definitely be added on mine!

what are you using for designing the CP? i have been using fusion 360 and its annoying! Do you have a svg or something of your current layout you wouldn't mind sharing?

peterrrjr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2020, 10:55:23 am
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 02:01:21 pm »

This brings it closer to the scale of Maximus's CP, the best I can tell from the picture (and if he used a 3 inch trackball ) his CP is 37.5 inches x 19 inches (at the widest and tallest parts) 

Shrinking the width of the CP should make the viewing angle for player 3&4 better.

Here is the new layout

Can you share it in blueprint without the artwork? I  need something to use as reference to make the holes for my cab, and I feell more confortable to print out the sections, glue them on the cp and modify as I go. I am having trouble to find plans, they are always scaled down and with measurements or psd and such. Thanks!

GandalfTheRed

• Offline Offline
Re: Project - Starcade (4/3/19 Construction Update)
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 05:52:06 pm »
I finished Starcade a little while ago but never got a chance to post pictures. So, here you go....

Sorry about the reflection. The marquee didn't turn out the way I had hoped. Its a lazer etched infinity mirror, but the infinity mirror part doesn't really look as good as I hoped. I went cheap and used two-way tint film when I should have used real two-way mirror.

RGB LEDs for the controls and the marquee. The layout of the controls is pretty comfortable even with four players. Player 3 is a little weird but its too late to tweak...

Double over under coin doors, wired and working, found these on ebay for $15 each! You can also see the door to access the keyboard, mouse and computer.

The back with access doors. RGB Led fans to keep the computer cool.

another view of the control panel

I just wanted to also say thank you to every one on the forum that gave advise and help, especially with the control panel. I am glad I listened to you guys. ;D

chadwyk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 20, 2020, 04:37:49 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160171.0.html
Re: Project - Starcade (Finished!)
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 06:02:11 pm »
Awesome work! I've been watching your build as it is similar to mine. I was wondering if you had finished! It looks great! What is the LCD in the control panel for?