Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GameBoks: portable console gaming case with screen (kickstarter)  (Read 3612 times)

romshark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1276091169/gameboks-a-beautiful-portable-gamestation-for-your/

(8 days to go as of when I made this post)

Saw this, and the concept intrigues me. As someone who has taken my PS4 Pro over to a friends house numerous times, it seems like a cool idea. It does have cooling fans too.

When looking up info, I did see the GAEMS Vanguard Portable Gaming System, but this looks a lot better aesthetically, in my opinion.

A low latency 24" monitor is in the top half of the case, and the system goes in the bottom. Looks like you'd have to lift a PS4 Pro to change discs though. And I'm not sure if there's any padding or anything to keep the console from banging around when carrying it. Probably wouldn't be hard to add some though.

Also, there's discussion in the comments about PAL vs NTSC? I didn't think that was still an issue with modern displays and HDMI. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

At $385 US, I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not. A similar monitor (1ms response time, 24" ASUS monitor) goes normally for $199 at Best Buy (and can be cheaper for open box). What's the consensus of the rest being worth $185?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:41:15 am by romshark »

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
Re: GameBoks: portable console gaming case with screen (kickstarter)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 11:51:20 am »
Did some Googling, and looks like, even with HDMI and newer TVS, the US is 30fps, and PAL is 25fps. So this monitor probably won't work for me in the US.

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »
Kickstarter.

Are you really excited to throw money at a monitor in a briefcase that you will maybe get in 3 years time?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 12:39:34 pm »
Kickstarter.

Are you really excited to throw money at a monitor in a briefcase that you will maybe get in 3 years time?

Right?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »
My last 55" 4K TV cost me $325.  If you're gagging that hard to play PS4 at a friend's house, buy a new TV and give him your old one.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 11:48:08 pm »
Kickstarter.

I don't have a ps4 but I got a LED projector and 100 inch cloth screen.
I put it in a laptop bag and take it to my friends so our kids can watch movies outside over the summer.
I can do that same thing if I had a console and whatever is the most common cheapest sized TV at walmart plus a suitcase from a thrift shop.
I don't get this one honestly.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 12:19:21 pm »
If you wanna play PS4 with a friend that doesn't have a PS4, make them come to your house.

$700 for a box  made out of wood and a $200 "high resolution" (don't see specs, assuming NON-4K) monitor
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.