Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: EXPANSE - A wall mount space themed cabinet (5-12, Cabinet Complete)  (Read 51013 times)

meltman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
Re: EXPANSE - A wall mount space themed cabinet (5-12, Cabinet Complete)
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2019, 09:51:57 pm »
Thanks Laythe. I appreciate it and am closely following your unconventional build.
Your craftsmanship is phenomenal. We can both own our fun designs. I may copy you in the future 😉

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2019, 11:00:45 pm »
Yeah - don't sweat it. Like what was said earlier, opinions are like buttholes. Some are stinky and shouldn't be shared. :)

That's quality craftsmanship. The design is well executed. It's well documented and done pretty quickly judging by the age of your kids, your workshop, and level of detail. It's an ideal project for BYOAC. If there were awards being handed out, this would surely be a contender, if not a winner!

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2019, 11:30:32 pm »
To be fair, I’m a purist.
So my opinion will have a basis in that.

Also, to further the fairness, I did praise the craftsmanship here. There’s no dispute about that, the work is fantastic.

So however you or the peanut gallery wants to portray it is fine.
My opinion stands that it’s not worth the hassle of designing a cabinet that A. The main purpose is to save “chair space”, and B. Is restricted to locations were studs are present. You lose the flexibility of relocation all in the name of “tucking your chairs in”? Yeah, no...

Now Lew’s statement is concerning. He would rather people shut-up and drink the kool-Aid rather than give you real opinions. If all you want is a pat on the head, you came to the wrong place. But if you want real non-facetious feedback, stick around. There are still some members here that won’t beat around the bush and tell you something straight-up.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 11:36:54 pm by opt2not »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2019, 01:33:47 am »
Now Lew’s statement is concerning. He would rather people shut-up and drink the kool-Aid rather than give you real opinions. If all you want is a pat on the head, you came to the wrong place. But if you want real non-facetious feedback, stick around. There are still some members here that won’t beat around the bush and tell you something straight-up.

I don't know why anyone would make a harsh negative comment on someones finished product. It's just not civil.

Say what you want about me, no one has ever left the forum from a comment I made on their project.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2019, 02:35:45 am »
Hypocrite.
%Bartop

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2019, 04:15:40 am »
I don't know why anyone would make a harsh negative comment on someones finished product. It's just not civil.
My intent wasn’t malice. My apologies to meltman, if you think I’m trying to degrade EXPANSE, I wasn’t trying to. It’s superbly built. The construction aspects, the planning, the vision, execution, all fantastic.

I was just stating the justifications that we’re presented for choosing this kind of design isn’t something I’d go for. Sorry for the aggressive tone.

I would say that one of the benefits of this style of cab is that it looks less bulky, even as melt pointed out, has the specs as a standard cab. You get more -Feng Shui- for a cab that is mounted, and a bit less materials used to house it. It’s a good halfway between a full standup, and a sit-down cab. But it just lacks the ability to relocate. I think that’s part big of this hobby, and should be pointed out as a tradeoff if others were to follow this style of cab.

Say what you want about me, no one has ever left the forum from a comment I made on their project.
Me too?
I dunno, I don’t pay attention to who comes and goes here. But if I ever made someone leave from my comments then I’m truly sorry about that. No one should take my opinion as “the rules”, or as an influencer. I just a passionate dude about this stuff.

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Brilliant!
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2019, 01:56:28 pm »
Get it ALLLL out of your systems guys.

:laugh2:

I'm cooking up some plans for an unorthodox bartop (actually going to make three) so get your torches and pitchforks ready!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2019, 02:50:48 pm »
You need to come out to one of my parties. I can smuggle a bunch of Spotted Cow over the border for you.

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Brilliant!
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2019, 03:28:55 pm »
Lol any time. Moon man is where it’s at though!  :lol

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2019, 04:00:42 pm »
I like uff da, but it is seasonal.

The big one is coming up. My birthday is in September.
Details are imminent.

CraigP50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2022, 11:43:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2019, 12:04:26 am »
Hello meltman,

Got a quick question for you. I see the marquee setup you've got going on. Turns out I just bought the exact same LCD monitor for my cabinet as well! And I'm using Launchbox/Bigbox for my frontend too.

My question....these LCD bar monitors are seeming to me very difficult to configure. Basically, it's displaying half a 1080p screen. So....how are you getting your marquee images in BigBox to display properly in the screen, instead of being displayed at the bottom, cut in half? Did you change the resolution of the display? Is there a way to orient the marquee image to display more at the top of the monitor, etc, etc.

Any information would be most helpful, and thank you.

Craig - Atlanta, Ga.

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Brilliant!
    • My arcade gallery

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2021, 12:37:59 pm »
I know his one has been done for a while and no comments since 2019 but I haven't been on here regularly for many years.
Very nice build here. Artwork, style, execution, all perfect.  :applaud: