Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Maybe we should call this one "I Need an Intervention"  (Read 15824 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:20 pm
Re: Maybe we should call this one "I Need an Intervention"
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2021, 09:57:39 am »
bobby - this looks awesome.  Keep it going.  The marquee looks great and your stencil work is something to be proud of.  This is going to look like a classic when finished.

How does the game switching work on a multi-board?  Is there a menu to back out of or do you have to mess with dip switches to get the right game to load?

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:03:17 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2021, 03:24:56 am »
Hey javeryh,

That is a Jrok multiwilliams jamma board in there and it is so user friendly that if you like even just one or two of those games it is well worth the price if you can find one.

This cabinet and my Bit Kit one have grown to be my favorite machines because you just turn them on and they run.
The fact that they are fpga boards which appear to me to be very high fidelity to original hardware makes them all that much more awesome.

There are a host of settings in the operating menu for the board and it can be set to boot to just one game or to the full list like I have mine.

If you press both the player 1 and 2 start buttons for 2 seconds the board backs out to the full game list screen.

You can also set it up so that someone can't screw with the settings either- intentionally or not.

Stoked you're still making headway on the twins!
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2021, 09:40:10 am »
I'm definitely going to look into a BitKit for my next cabinet.  It seems really neat. 

I'm debating what to build in 2022 - my holy grail has always been a Midway cocktail cabinet (Pac-Man, probably) so I'm leaning towards that but I also still don't have a traditional 2P cabinet for fighters, etc.  I also have multiple cabinets that play Pac-Man so not that exciting.  They wife did ask me to take a break after the Twins are finished since I've been spending all my free time on them...

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:45 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2021, 09:44:38 am »
They wife did ask me to take a break after the Twins are finished since I've been spending all my free time on them...

Your wife is very understanding.

And twins? Not bad for an old man.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2021, 06:43:36 pm »
They wife did ask me to take a break after the Twins are finished since I've been spending all my free time on them...

Heh - I can dream at least

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2021, 01:01:44 am »

Heh - I can dream at least

:laugh2:

I dated sisters once (consecutively.)
That got pretty weird as it was.

Couldn't imagine how crazy it could have been if they were twins.

Probably more nightmare than dream in the long run!

;D
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2021, 02:14:20 pm »
Alright Bobby,If I could just ask a quick question about your stencling technique?

You mentioned peeling off at just the right time.What did you find as the ideal method for this.

Id until today thought Id be rolling on paint in very thin coats.But after a lot of googling It seems spray cans is the way.

One article I read , the bloke recommended first coat very thin,second thicker, then peel off while still tacky.And never apply a third coat as it can re-activate the dried paint  :dizzy:

Yours looks great.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2021, 12:40:50 am »
Thanks for even asking sir!

The other gent's recommendations are good but if you are using good tape then number of coats almost becomes irrelevant and is driven by drying time only from my experience.
My technique?

1. Use good tape.  I ONLY use 3M tape specific for paints/resins for any of this stuff.
2. Leave just enough drying time between coats to not get pulls, puddles or drips regardless of spraying or brushing or rolling.
3. When you have the color depth you want, then peel your tape before the last coat is entirely dry.

If you use 3M blue or green tape (they do also make one grade of manila colored stuff that you can get at auto paint shops that  works) then it is much easier as the glue will stay on the tape for days really and less precision is needed in gauging your pulling time.
If using catalysed paint (which could generate heat while going off) then you have to pay more attention.
It ain't cheap, but spend the $ on the tape. It is the most critical element.

For this cab I brushed on three coats of enamel over the oil based rustoleum black that was on the cab already.
I let the coats dry adequately in between so I wouldn't wreck the finish with the brush and then pulled the tape when the paint wouldn't spiderweb after the third.
I allowed the yellow to dry for 2 days (even put the panel out in full sun for most of a day just to be sure it was hard) before I put the red over the top of it.

Spraying (rather than brush or roller) gets you a smoother finish more easily but it requires masking in addition to the taping.

If you do use a brush or roller just experiment a bit with thinning your paint to a good consistency so it lays flat before it dries.

If you want the best results with clean tape lines then make yourself a scrap piece while you work on your project.
Use exactly the same materials and number of coats and do small test peels to check it for being ready to pull your tape on the real work.
Overboard maybe, but pays off until you have a really good feel for how your material is working in your environment.

If you are spraying then it is only a few minutes to pulling tape and not getting spiderwebs.
Brush or roller is a longer wait since you inevitably wind up with more paint laid down, but no big deal if you used good tape.

The angle at which you are pulling the tape can be important too.

I pull the tape at around a 90 degree angle to the work but also leaning back over the paint on the other axis, just in case I didn't wait long enough and there are paint threads to drool back onto the panel.
Does that make sense?
Maybe a video would be useful if anyone was interested.

Just remember that skimping on the tape will cost you!

lomoverde

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2023, 09:16:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2021, 02:26:51 pm »
Bobby thank you so much for taking the time to explain your methods.

Im in a slightly different boat as im cutting my design from sheet artwork.I can only see similarities with the 2 tho,in so much as it sounds like the trick is all down to timing and removal.

I can picture what your talking about when you say peel at 90 degrees and slightly over the work area on the other axis.Any strands will then lie back onto the fresh paint and not surrounding area.

I wont clutter up your thread but if you get time and take a glance at the design Ill be working with: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164426.msg1749004.html#msg1749004

Im getting another set printed so i cut out the red on one,and the black with another.

bobbyb13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2021, 11:49:59 pm »
Sorry my reply was so long winded!

I always check your Tully thread when you update so I know the project of which you speak.

I dig it.

If you are spraying then you should be fine but I would use any scrap pieces of stencil you have for a test panel (maybe to try even before you work on the cabinet itself?)
If you don't know the glue character this would be a safe way to make sure you don't have any drama laying down paint and removing your stencil.

Biggest issue might be material compatibility with what is on the cabinet already.
Make sure whatever you are spraying for your stencil art is ok to go over the clear you sealed the yellow with and you should be fine.

Ensure your stencil is well stuck down.
Spraying can sometimes lift stencils or tape.

And don't ever worry about cluttering one of MY threads at least!
 :lol