Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Going to attempt an TV RGB mod  (Read 24453 times)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
Re: Going to attempt an TV RGB mod
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 02:59:58 pm »
So..

Got everything wired up, reconnected al the cables on the boards, put the neck board back on, plugged in my molex connector, connected to vga, got all excited to try it out..

Plugged in the tv and..

CCCRRRAAACCCKKK

Because... my dumb ass forgot to put the anode cap back on. TV non-responsive after putting the cap back on. No picture, Just get flashing red led on front panel.

Good news is most of the hard work is done.. I have the vga wired to a perfboard with my resistors and caps, wired to a 4pdt switch, all wired to a molex .. and the other side i’m Just going to clip at the jungle chip, so I’ll just need to solder back into another tv..... when I find one.  And now I have to dispose of this one. * sigh*

Zebidee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:52:37 pm
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 04:46:49 pm »
Yikes! Bad news indeed. Wonder what TV components you blew up? Flyback, HVR, HOT ... well, I've always wondered what'd happen if you turned on the power without the anode cap attached, and this is pretty close to my imagination. Lucky it wasn't worse :D

Safety, safety, safety. Even more important than discharging anode caps, you need to keep a cool head when hacking TVs. I walk away from my projects as often as not because I'm too tired, too bored/focused, too angry, too frustrated, too fired-up, too drunk. Take a break and come back a little later, with a fresh mind you see problems/solutions that you couldn't before.

It is always a good idea to spend 30 seconds to a minute or so triple checking that everything is connected properly before plugging power in, starting with that anode!

Anyway, enough of the safety lecture. Can you identify what bits you've zapped? Probably not worth repairing the TV, unless you have a pretty good idea of what you've blown, how to fix it and access to spares (eg donor TV). Alternatively you could keep it as your donor TV, until trash-time comes anyway. The next TV you find might be a compatible Sony too!

If you're going to trash the TV, suggest that you pull some useful and re-usable bits for future hacks eg power switches (AC rated!), speakers, video/audio input jacks.  Flyback could possibly be useful if it isn't dead and suits a compatible TV, but that is a long shot. Beyond the fairly simple stuff, its probably not worth keeping old TV components for long if you don't know what they are for/potential use.

If you're not going to keep/give away the tube (people are often looking for tubes, although it is not your responsibility to find them), you could pull off any rubber feet and magnetic strips off the yoke area, degaussing coil, grounding leads etc before trashing the tube.
Check out my completed projects!

Paradroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
Safety, safety, safety. Even more important than discharging anode caps, you need to keep a cool head when hacking TVs. I walk away from my projects as often as not because I'm too tired, too bored/focused, too angry, too frustrated, too fired-up, too drunk. Take a break and come back a little later, with a fresh mind you see problems/solutions that you couldn't before.

Solid advice. A printed checklist (with tickboxes) is good too e.g. anode attached, ground wire attached, neckboard seated firmly, yoke plugs attached, degauss coil attached, etc. Can save a lot of grief.
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2018, 09:37:00 pm »
I know the too drunk one.
was wiring up my rpi to control my hot tun and testing the relays and zapped myself pretty good because I forgot to cut power.
LOL!

No more drinking while working on electrical stuff. :)

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 06:44:00 am »

Solid advice. A printed checklist (with tickboxes) is good too e.g. anode attached, ground wire attached, neckboard seated firmly, yoke plugs attached, degauss coil attached, etc. Can save a lot of grief.

Checklist is definitely necessary for me.  In this case I was just excited to give it a shot and overlooked it.  Everything else I had written down, like molex Pinouts , wiring diagrams, etc I quadruple-checked.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2018, 03:43:29 pm »
In this case I was just excited to give it a shot and overlooked it.

Yes... definitely been there before!

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2018, 04:42:26 pm »
Got a line on an KV-27FV300 which is a better model with the exact same pinout on the jungle (w00t).

I may be going to pick it up today (we'll see).

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2018, 09:12:29 pm »

Checklist is definitely necessary for me.  In this case I was just excited to give it a shot and overlooked it.  Everything else I had written down, like molex Pinouts , wiring diagrams, etc I quadruple-checked.

Here's a useful checklist to use before turning on CRTs for servicing/testing, shamelessly ripped off another forum in the interests of promoting safety:

1) No crap/dust/dirt/filth on chassis or back of tube
2) Anode area clean, anode cap seated firmly and both clips engaged
3) Neckboard connected properly
4) Ground wire connected to neckboard
5) Yoke connector connected to chassis
6) Degauss coil fitted/connected (Note: some arcade chassis do not include degauss circuit)
7) Any other connections specific to your CRT, eg sub-PCBs for geometry, power, tuner, inputs etc
8) RGB/S connected to chassis (including video amp, required by most arcade monitors)
9) Power connected to chassis (including isolation transformer, often required for arcade monitor)

Isolation transformers are a good idea for testing, regardless off whether your monitor needs them, as they create a local ground loop. In summary, this means that shorts to ground won't happen through you (usually, unless you really push your luck), and thus you are more likely to stay alive. Worth considering.

If you are too tired or whatever to do these checks properly, go away and sleep or eat or do something else. Come back a bit later.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »
I picked up the 27FV300, and the picture looks amazing.. so we're going to try this again.  (With the proper checklist.. with CHECK ANODE CAP listed every other line. :)

Based on the RGB mod thread over at shmups.system11.org:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&sid=958598290234963ba5997d9d4731ade9&start=1980

These are the notes for the BA-5D chassis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My notes for the BA-5D chassis:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RGB Notes
"OSD Mux

Remove R020, R022, R024 SMD resistors that are on the OSD lines. Use 680R or 750R on External RGB lines as well as the normal 75R termination

There are a set of jumper wires on the OSD RGB lines that can be used as our RGB injection point or the solder points from the removed resistors"

Blanking Notes
"5V on Diode leg from OSD Ys. Could possibly put Scart pin 16 to L304."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This method will mux in the OSD display along with my OSD signal, so I can get volume and system menus up on the screen if need be, without having to switch the mod on/off.   I now only need a 1PST switch to turn on and off the 5v line to the blanking pin to disable the screen blanking.  This will allow me to still use other inputs on the TV.  Until I have everything adjusted right, I will need component to run the 240p test suite from my WiiU to check geometry, color balance, etc.

This method does not require me to lift the legs of the Jungle IC (YAY).  This board has TONS... TONS of exposed jumpers on the topside of the board I can tap into, I will just need to get my multimeter and trace out the lines.  I'll still have to take the A board out, as I need to remove the indicated SMD resistors.. and I believe all of the surface mount components are bottom-side.  Still, this will be a LOT less difficult than the previous attempt.

I'm hoping to get some of this (if not all of it) done this weekend, but that depends on my other commitments.  Either way, I plan on being DONE with the physical part of this mod by Wednesday next week.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:27 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2018, 02:32:59 pm »
I picked up the 27FV300, and the picture looks amazing.. so we're going to try this again.  (With the proper checklist.. with CHECK ANODE CAP listed every other line. :)

Based on the RGB mod thread over at shmups.system11.org:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155&sid=958598290234963ba5997d9d4731ade9&start=1980

These are the notes for the BA-5D chassis.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My notes for the BA-5D chassis:
RGB Notes
"OSD Mux

Remove R020, R022, R024 SMD resistors that are on the OSD lines. Use 680R or 750R on External RGB lines as well as the normal 75R termination

There are a set of jumper wires on the OSD RGB lines that can be used as our RGB injection point or the solder points from the removed resistors"

Blanking Notes
"5V on Diode leg from OSD Ys. Could possibly put Scart pin 16 to L304."

This method will mux in the OSD display along with my OSD signal, so I can get volume and system menus up on the screen if need be, without having to switch the mod on/off.   I now only need a 1PST switch to turn on and off the 5v line to the blanking pin to disable the screen blanking.  This will allow me to still use other inputs on the TV.  Until I have everything adjusted right, I will need component to run the 240p test suite from my WiiU to check geometry, color balance, etc.

This method does not require me to lift the legs of the Jungle IC (YAY).  This board has TONS... TONS of exposed jumpers on the topside of the board I can tap into, I will just need to get my multimeter and trace out the lines.  I'll still have to take the A board out, as I need to remove the indicated SMD resistors.. and I believe all of the surface mount components are bottom-side.  Still, this will be a LOT less difficult than the previous attempt.

I'm hoping to get some of this (if not all of it) done this weekend, but that depends on my other commitments.  Either way, I plan on being DONE with the physical part of this mod by Wednesday next week.

I just picked up one of these the other day.  Just curious why you don’t use the RGB component connections in the back?  All you need is a transcoder (no loss in quality whatsoever) and you can skip all the hassle of a hack.

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2018, 04:39:57 pm »
Just curious why you don’t use the RGB component connections in the back?  All you need is a transcoder (no loss in quality whatsoever) and you can skip all the hassle of a hack.

"Imperceptible"? Perhaps! "No loss in quality whatsoever"? Not strictly true.

Anyway, once you know how to perform the mod, it's WAY cheaper than buying a decent transcoder.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2018, 04:54:33 pm »
"Imperceptible"? Perhaps! "No loss in quality whatsoever"? Not strictly true.

Anyway, once you know how to perform the mod, it's WAY cheaper than buying a decent transcoder.

Hehe, yeah kinda regretted that language after I hit post.  Good to know, thanks for posting. 

Good luck nipsmg, will watch with great interest.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2018, 05:15:45 pm »
So I'm driving this with CRT_Emudriver, and I was under the impression that using a transcoder could cause issuse with the sync.  -- I want as little interference in that chain as possible, because I need to see what the sync range of this tube /chassis is.  This is direct injection of sync and RGB - no interference.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2018, 09:23:58 pm »
So I'm driving this with CRT_Emudriver, and I was under the impression that using a transcoder could cause issuse with the sync.  -- I want as little interference in that chain as possible, because I need to see what the sync range of this tube /chassis is.  This is direct injection of sync and RGB - no interference.

If that’s true I’d love to know as I’m using a transcoder.  So far I’m happy with the image quality, although I’m only 3 days into setting it up, and I haven’t perceived any of the issues with tearing, etc:

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 07:13:12 am »
Well damn.  That looks good.

If I knew that it would look that good and hadn’t already invested the time and research I would go that route all day. 

Oh well, not much I can do now

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2018, 07:28:40 am »
CRT_emudriver is fine wrt sync. Note that you can set CRT_emudriver to only output composite sync. This is sufficient.

Component conversion does involve a very small delay on the Y channel in the transcoding stage, but for most purposes/people the delay will be unnoticable.

Arroyo: If you want to discuss component vs RGB further, I suggest you open a new thread, rather than derailing this one, as the OP is clearly about RGB modding.

What transcoder are you using? I ask because most of them are rubbish, although good ones do exist. The only good one I know to be currently available is the JROK and it costs $US80, which is more than the cost of a new CRT TV. An RGB mod should cost <$US5. So go figure that out with whomever manages your purse-strings.

I've already done a "double-mod", that is a RGB->component->TV hack, using my own RGB2YUV circuit, and I can confirm that it looked great. Really really good. I did it recently while waiting for other things to happen (ie I was temporarily bored had the stuff on hand). In summary, I was impressed, about 90-95% of what RGB can do, a possible/passable substitute or RGB. However, the only way component would be better than RGB is if the RGB is low-quality (and the component good).

I'd post more about my double-mod here, but I already have on another forum, am currently having issues with it due to too much meddling (mostly regarding the TV mod part, not the RGB2YUV mod part). Also, I don't want to upset this thread, and won't start a new thread here until I've worked out those issues to my own satisfaction.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2018, 07:34:56 am »
Well damn.  That looks good.

If I knew that it would look that good and hadn’t already invested the time and research I would go that route all day. 

Oh well, not much I can do now

Don't be disheartened, you are already on the right path. RGB modding your TV (vs component) is a "good" thing.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2018, 12:21:30 pm »

Nah if anything I’m rooting for you, as to Zebidee’s and Paradroid’s point, this is way cheaper and if you can pull it off I’ll definitely be copying you in the future.  Especially because you could use the technique on TV’s without component input.

Arroyo: If you want to discuss component vs RGB further, I suggest you open a new thread, rather than derailing this one, as the OP is clearly about RGB modding.

Definitely not trying to derail the thread, more of a curiosity as to the reason of hacking, and now I get it. Apologies nipsmg if I did.

What transcoder are you using?

(Retrotek VGACTV1) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192116647418

An RGB mod should cost <$US5. So go figure that out with whomever manages your purse-strings.

All the more reason to watch this thread.  :cheers:

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2018, 06:31:28 pm »
... transcoder?

(Retrotek VGACTV1) https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192116647418

An RGB mod should cost <$US5. So go figure that out with whomever manages your purse-strings.

All the more reason to watch this thread.  :cheers:

The transcoder you linked to looks good, thanks :D but it costs $US90! I'm trying to see what I can do for cheaper.

Once you have your RGB2YUV sorted out, getting the component TV mod done can be even easier than an RGB mod. RGB hacks usually use the OSD's inputs to the jungle IC. However, most jungle ICs will have primary YUV inputs already (and if they have primary RGB inputs, obviously use those). The advantage of hacking a primary input is that there is no need for hacking blanking signals or OSD/RGB input switches, you can just select the relevant AV mode.

My TV doesn't have component input ports, but the jungle IC has component primary input pins and unused PCB trace lines terminated with 0.01uF caps (103 ceramic).That's where I'm doing my hack's component inputs. There are no RGB inputs on the jungle IC, and the OSD is built-in so OSD hack not possible.  Thus hacking component inputs is the only way, unless I want to hack the neck inputs, hurrr...

Currently I'm working on my "gumption" levels (motivation) as the double-mod was previously working great, looking at least as good as a typical arcade monitor, now isn't working at all, mostly due to my own Farkups. I'm soldering up my 2nd prototype RGB2YUV circuit now (we can rebuild!), and will then have to convince the TV to accept it (by fiddling with options in service mode). Anyway, I'll have to sort out the issues with these mods before saying any more, assuming I find enough "gumption", and will probably start a new thread to do so.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2018, 06:40:56 pm »
So... what I would say is this.  If you are going to go through the ‘trouble’ of RGB modding a set... don’t settle for an RGB ->YUV mod when you can find a set with component video for free on Craigslist. All u need is a crt with a jungle IC that has RGB OSD lines..

Look at this thread.  Then check Craigslist.
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=56155

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2018, 06:52:29 pm »
Based on my experience so far and my mistakes.  If you don’t blow up a set you can EASILY RGB mod a set for <$25.  Wire, a few resistors, and a VGA or scart female port.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2018, 07:05:37 pm »
Based on my experience so far and my mistakes.  If you don’t blow up a set you can EASILY RGB mod a set for <$25.  Wire, a few resistors, and a VGA or scart female port.

Watching with enthusiasm nipsmg, love to see what you come up with.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 10:34:37 pm »

Probably even <$5, but yeah very little, it depends on how much you pay for the bits n pieces.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2018, 12:14:23 pm »
Ok.. so.. back at it.  Got the FV-30 apart and while this may be the ‘same chassis’ this is a much different setup.  Huge subwoofer in the cabinet, as well as completely separate disconnectable boards for the TV tuner and another whip is either audio or closed caption, not sure.

Time to trace down the RGB jumpers and find the resistors I’m supposed to desolder.

I

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
SUCCESS!! -- TV RGB mod
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2018, 06:41:31 pm »
SUCCESS!! Finally.

The BA-5D chassis is actually REALLY easy to mod.  Was able to find topside jumpers for 5V source, blanking signal injection, R, G, and B lines.   You can grab ground from anywhere pretty much. 

Here's some of the images:

The picture is much more vivid and bright in person.  The images from my phone didn't come out great.

There are some geometry issues with this set however that i need to fix.

Also, when I try to launch vertical games, they roll vertically -- need to get that resolved, and find a low res AttractMode skin that'll display in 240p.

----

All of the details of this mod are in this thread: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63622&p=1342460#p1342460
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:43:11 pm by nipsmg »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2018, 08:28:07 pm »
Nice job!

I have pretty much the same set.  In case you need help getting into the service menu for messing with geometry, etc:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?248996-Sony-WEGA-Trinitron-CRT-TV-service-menu-Tips-Tricks-and-settings-suggestions

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »
Looks fantastic! Well done  :afro:

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2018, 09:03:41 pm »
Nice job!

I have pretty much the same set.  In case you need help getting into the service menu for messing with geometry, etc:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?248996-Sony-WEGA-Trinitron-CRT-TV-service-menu-Tips-Tricks-and-settings-suggestions

The geometry issues are non-symmetric .. like a vertical bulge on the top of the screen only.  There is a drop off on the bottom right only.  A bulge on the lower left.  I think they have to be manually adjusted.

The white border lines are supposed to be STRAIGHT here:

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2018, 09:05:14 pm »
I’m also having an interesting problem playing vertical games in GroovyMame.  They all roll vertically..  horizontal games are perfect.  Need to figure that out.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2018, 09:15:57 pm »
Nice job!

The geometry issues are non-symmetric .. like a vertical bulge on the top of the screen only.  There is a drop off on the bottom right only.  A bulge on the lower left.  I think they have to be manually adjusted.

The white border lines are supposed to be STRAIGHT here:

I played with those settings just yesterday for the first time.  Spent probably a good 2-3hours doing calibrations on the TV and then Arcade OSD.  Don’t remember the name used to adjust those, but there are a crazy amount of things you can adjust on the Sony.  Get into that service menu and I’d recommend to reset it to factory, then from there go into each setting, note the value, then move it up and down to see what works. 

Oh and at least for me I still had to adjust the desktop in Arcade OSD as the right side of the screen wasn’t being displayed until I adjust the Horizontal “porch” under my 640x480 @60i video mode to a 5.  After that it all fit.

Edit: after you adjust the video mode and porch settings, then select “set as desktop mode”

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:25:34 pm by Arroyo »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2018, 09:25:06 pm »
Nice tip on the front porch..  i had to mess with hsize/hpos and vsize/vpos to get the whole screen to appear. I’ll have to play with that a bit more.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2018, 09:47:56 pm »
I’m also having an interesting problem playing vertical games in GroovyMame.  They all roll vertically..  horizontal games are perfect.  Need to figure that out.

From what I could tell when messing with settings on mine, the scrolling was induced when the frequency of the video mode was lower than 59hz.  Well I should say the picture became wavy on the sides and the further I went down in frequency the closer I got to the whole picture scrolling. 

Have you tried 1943?  That didn’t have scrolling issues but Galaga did. I believe the issue has to do with which video mode GroovyMame is selecting.  If a game called for a resolution with a lower frequency then GroovyMame will try to match with the closest video mode even if that video mode won’t work for your set.  From what I can tell so far these Sony TV sets don’t appear to like to go too low in frequency.

Sounds like the next step is to define the limits of the monitor and setup a custom video in VMM, then from there the video modes will be created within the bounds of your TV.....or so I think, haven’t gotten to that point in experimenting yet.

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2018, 11:14:49 pm »
Sounds like the next step is to define the limits of the monitor and setup a custom video in VMM, then from there the video modes will be created within the bounds of your TV.....or so I think, haven’t gotten to that point in experimenting yet.

That's spot-on, get your monitor presets right, NTSC or PAL, or both (many TVs automatically detect both, but you have to edit the standard presets to allow both crt_range0 and crt_range1 settings), generate/install modes and set VMM to export settings to mame.ini

One common issue with RGB modding TVs is that you notice minor convergence/geometry errors that weren't obvious before (because the picture was so crap until you RGB modded it).

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2018, 11:02:46 am »
so, how would you hook an arcade PCB up to a modded TV.
I read the voltage is different on a PCB vs a video card or console.
Pots for the input resistors?

Zebidee

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »
so, how would you hook an arcade PCB up to a modded TV.
I read the voltage is different on a PCB vs a video card or console.
Pots for the input resistors?

You would need to put resistors in-line on the RGB inputs. You'd want to test a few values, say 75, 150 and 220 ohms and see what works best. You could use pots with around 300-500 ohms max values to work it out, then replace with resistors if you prefer. Or just leave the pots there.

That makes a simple voltage divider on each line, between your added resistor and the TV's 75 ohm termination. Adding 75 ohms halves voltage, 150 cuts it to 1/3 and 220 to 1/4 etc. If I had to make a guess in the dark then I'd go for 150 ohms and see how that goes.

Arcade PCBs can vary a bit, but RGB video signals are typically 2-5vp-p. TVs expect around 0.7vp-p

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2018, 11:06:26 pm »
Adding a picture of the OSD onscreen.  The OSD method is definitely superior.

However I have some snow/wavy lines that not only appeared on the TV connected to the R7 250, but ALSO on the monitor that was connected to the onboard VGA (you can see artifacts in image on the TV). Could this be caused by a bad ground on the TV side??

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2018, 09:00:56 am »
Well, the wavy lines/distortion were due to dirty power from a crappy PC PSU.

Pulled out my mod, created a new circuit board, and finalized it all. 

I'm going to do a full write-up soon on this RGB mod, given these TV's are/were so ubiquitous and the mod is so easy..  It should apply to anything on the BA-5D chassis.  This includes the following TVs:

• KV-27FS100
  • KV-27FS210
  • KV-27FV300
  • KV-27FV310
  • KV-29FA210
  • KV-29FS100
  • KV-29FS100
  • KV-29FV300
  • KV-29FV300
  • KV-29FV310
  • KV-32FS100
  • KV-32FS200
  • KV-32FS210
  • KV-32FV300
  • KV-32FV310
  • KV-34FS100
  • KV-34FS100
  • KV-34FV250
  • KV-34FV310
  • KV-36FS100
  • KV-36FS200
  • KV-36FS210
  • KV-36FV300
  • KV-36FV310
  • KV-38FS200
  • KV-38FV250
  • KV-38FV310

Image showing the 3 SMD resistors  you have to remove (already removed in this image) (R020, r022, R024)
Bottom side of board, in between pins for IC001
Please do a better job than I did
*Click to enlarge*

Image showing the R, G, B, and Blanking Injection connections, all top side jumpers.
(Yes, R, B, G in that order.  I've triple-checked the diagrams, just works out that way due to wiring).
*click to enlarge*

Image showing the 5v source.  Available via top-side jumper.
*click to enlarge*

Image showing the mod circuit board.  R,G, and B inputs (bottom of image) from VGA all get tied via a 75ohm resistor to ground, and each gets a 750ohm resistor inline then out the top side.
Edit: Forgot to mention, the H and V Sync from the VGA get a 1k ohm inline resistor, and then the tail ends mixed for csync.
*click to enlarge*

Added a VGA connector and a switch for the blanking line.  Allows you to turn off the mod so you can still use the tv for other sources  (component, etc).
*click to enlarge*

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:54:55 pm by nipsmg »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2018, 09:39:38 am »
That’s flippin awesome.  Would love to see a write up :cheers:

nipsmg