Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Controls for WinUAE  (Read 1209 times)

magoomba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2018, 07:42:35 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Controls for WinUAE
« on: October 16, 2018, 07:24:21 pm »
Hi Everyone, Brand new to all this and just finished (Kinda) my first Build, Got Forgotten Worlds Packed running on an old PC and have mostly everything sorted but cannot for the life of me seem to get the controls working properly in the Amiga section, trying to quit back to the menu from Amiga is making me pull whats left of my hair out. Does anyone have an Idiots guide to stop me going bald? Many Thanks

DrakeTungsten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2022, 06:36:45 pm
  • I effed with the wrong person!
    • No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP
Re: Controls for WinUAE
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:39:27 pm »
I'm guessing by your mentioning of "the Amiga section" that you're using some kind of front end? For what it's worth, I tried setting up FS-UAE, which is a fork of the same base program that WinUAE is a fork of, so this may or may not be relevant:

To exit FS-UAE, you can use the usual hard window closing key combo of Alt+F4. My notes say to use F12, then Q, but looking at my AHK script, it sends F12, then Up, then Enter. They might both work.

You mention controls in general, so I'm not sure if it's just exiting that you have a problem with, or if it's also game controls. If you also have an issue with game controls, you can read on about my experience with them...

I was unable to find any way to remap the joystick's fire button from the default of Right-Alt and Right-Control through FS-UAE. My wild guess is that is because the developer wanted a simple as possible one-to-one mapping of physical keys to the Amiga virtual KB, and the maybe the Amiga KB didn't have a Right-Alt and Right-Control, so these unused keys are hard-coded for the joystick.

I was also unable to get AHK to work reliably for remapping the fire button (although it does work reliably for exiting). It looks like using a gamepad shouldn't be a problem, but I don't remember if I tested that or not. But I'm pretty sure keyboard remapping isn't going to happen. I would be happy to be proved wrong.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 12:17:19 am by DrakeTungsten »
No Quarter - a basic FE, WIP