Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: When do you guys find the time?  (Read 6652 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:30:56 am
When do you guys find the time?
« on: October 16, 2018, 11:15:17 am »
I love this hobby but don't get to actually work on personal projects nearly as much as I would like (and I suspect I'm not the only one).  So when do you guys find the time?  My weekends are spent running the kids around to soccer, baseball, guitar lessons, etc. plus food shopping, mowing the lawn/chores and after all that there isn't a 2-3 hour block of time I can use to tinker in the basement.  I don't even watch football on Sundays any more. 

During the week I get home around 6:30 p.m. and by the time we have dinner and the kids' homework is finished it is around 9:00 p.m. and all I want to do is lie on the couch (I get up at 5).  Do I just need to suck it up and try to squeeze in an hour or two at night?  It's driving me crazy because I feel like it is getting worse over time but maybe I'm not being efficient.  If I only have 30 minutes my brain tells me it's not worth it to get out the tools, figure out the next thing that needs to be done, etc. 

What is the secret to life?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 11:57:14 am by javeryh »

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: When do you guys find the time?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 11:17:40 am »
Take a weekday off occasionally.  It's the only way I get time anymore.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 08:12:05 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 11:53:06 am »
I'm the same.  I work weekdays 8-6 (inc travelling), then dinner at home, spending time with the kids until they go to bed (then kids bedtime routine)... then I'm either a) too tired, b) spending time with the missus, c) other hobbies.

Weekends I also have kids to run places... mow lawn, diy stuff on house, visit family, etc, etc.

Really my time is evenings once the kids are in bed... and usually that's only 1 or 2 nights a week.  It's not enough really and progress is slow... but that's life.

It's a balancing act and there are more important things in life than this great hobby.

Definitely agree with taking a day off occasionally and getting a bunch done in one go!  It also helps to be organised and plan what you're doing and when.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 11:58:56 am »
I take a Friday off here and there.  Otherwise I can't get enough momentum in the evenings and I'd rather spend time with the family on weekends.  Having said that my projects are very slow going with this schedule.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »
I take a Friday off here and there.  Otherwise I can't get enough momentum in the evenings and I'd rather spend time with the family on weekends.  Having said that my projects are very slow going with this schedule.

Amen! I’m taking tomorrow off for this very reason **koff** **sniffle**

Gotta make a push to get this restoration done...

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

gildahl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 04:04:16 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 01:40:28 pm »
I traded in almost all of my TV watching time for seven months when I built mine.  Got my daughter involved too.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 01:49:47 pm »
This booked helped me a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Full-Engagement-Managing-Performance/dp/0743226755

I don't usually like self-help books, but this and Zen Guitar are the only two that I feel are worth their weight.

It's all about managing your energy, not time. As you said, by 9pm you're tired and all you want to do is veg out. But if you are able to avoid that laziness/tired feeling and push yourself to efficiently use that time to work on projects, you can get a lot done.

I do this, on top of sacrificing a couple hours of sleep a night just to extend my hours a bit. Yeah, I'm tired most of the time during the day (Buddha bless triple shot cappuccinos), but I just tell myself that it's not forever and I can take a breather and return to regular sleep hours and vegging on the couch in-between projects.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:23:57 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 02:31:22 pm »
No kids and my wife is cool AF

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:33:23 pm »

opt2not

• Offline Offline

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 03:35:15 pm »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:49:40 pm
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 03:41:18 pm »
Short answer, I don't haha.  Between kids and wife, it's really hard to find time for side projects.  I've had a 90% complete Skeeball project crawling along for years, I just can't seem to muster up the time to wrap it all up.  I've had plans drawn up and all the parts for a huge mirror cab for years now but no progress... I actually just bit the bullet and purchased a bartop kit from Haruman since I've come to the realization that the fullsize cab isn't happening anytime soon and I want to play arcade games with my girls.

So in the next couple of months I'm going to do my best to squeeze in some arcade building time (and hopefully include my daughters in parts they can help with), but typically day to day I struggle finding the time/energy.  Seems exponentially harder to find the energy when I'm slammed at work.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2018, 03:48:24 pm »
I think momentum plays a big role in all this time/energy management as well.  When you've got a good pace of progress, you tend to find the time to continue it. But getting the ball rolling seems to be the hardest part.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2018, 03:51:00 pm »
This booked helped me a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/Power-Full-Engagement-Managing-Performance/dp/0743226755

245 pages?  Not worth my time.

Oh it's not that bad. relax.

If he can’t use his crayons, he ain’t touchin’ it.

Your mom touches all the crayons...and respond to my message guera so I can send you your Kade.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:52:57 pm by jdbailey1206 »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 04:53:05 pm »
I'm divorced and starting this yr my kids are old enough for me to make quick trips to home depot so I expect to get more stuff done.
Plus I can press err allow them to assist me with things like priming and painting.

but before that i'd have to take a day off during the week or send the kids to some relative's house on a saturday or sunday to get anything done.

boomerps2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 17, 2018, 10:58:33 pm
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 06:01:52 pm »
Hmmm, divorce ??? Perfect! Anybody know a good lawyer?

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 06:14:43 pm »
If my kids and wife go to bed early, maybe an hour or two before sleep. And I’ll lilely regret it the next day. Kids have messed up my iMac and peripherals so many times when I’m not home. Registered neogeo.info domain at work today for an idea I have. Came home to wife saying kids broke my keyboard. Again.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 06:17:46 pm
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
By finishing Game of Thrones and getting my life back.....

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 08:43:04 pm »
i don't have a regular job,
so i can spend my time however i like.

no family, and no kids either.

later

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »
Ultimately Javery, you're doing the good stuff worth remembering.

When I find time to play video games, it can't be at the expense of anything else. I just played a couple rounds of defender, and my kids are in bed, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

When I do projects, I try to get my kids involved. I don't ever want to hear Cats and the Cradle and start crying like a baby, so I make sure I don't miss out on any family related stuff. Sure, it feels like you are losing yourself sometimes, but I found trying to do anything that's just for me, at the cost of family time, wasn't enjoyable.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 05:31:49 am »
Sporadically, when the kids and wife don't need too much attention during the weekends or in the evening. I am not going to take too many days off just for my hobbies, as those are normally claimed by the family (vacations/days out) or hangovers. But my cabinet is going slowly at the moment mostly because I have to wait for certain things I've ordered (like glass for the bezel that takes forever). Otherwise I would have spend much more evenings to get this thing finished.

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 09:14:45 am »
Both kids in college.  Empty nest.  I recommend it... :)

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 09:50:11 am »
Ultimately Javery, you're doing the good stuff worth remembering.

When I find time to play video games, it can't be at the expense of anything else. I just played a couple rounds of defender, and my kids are in bed, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

When I do projects, I try to get my kids involved. I don't ever want to hear Cats and the Cradle and start crying like a baby, so I make sure I don't miss out on any family related stuff. Sure, it feels like you are losing yourself sometimes, but I found trying to do anything that's just for me, at the cost of family time, wasn't enjoyable.

I agree 100%.  Every time I think about doing something alone a little voice in my head asks if I'll wish I could have the time back with the kids once they are off to college and the answer is always yes.  Time is already going so fast.  My oldest (the Bella in "Bella's Arcade") is 14 already and will be going to college in 4+ years.  Just thinking about it makes me sad.  Gotta make all the memories while I can... except for memories of us playing finished arcade cabinets together because ain't nobody got time for that.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 11:29:11 am »
If my kids and wife go to bed early, maybe an hour or two before sleep. And I’ll lilely regret it the next day. Kids have messed up my iMac and peripherals so many times when I’m not home. Registered neogeo.info domain at work today for an idea I have. Came home to wife saying kids broke my keyboard. Again.

LOL!

i'm a tech guy.
I have a job.
But for the longest time I had a P4 era HP multimedia keyboard that came with said PC on all my computers.
Why?
It may of looked stupid with all those AOL buttons but it is built like a tank.

But yeah, kid's were a nightmare with my stuff.
Like all true PC guy's I run my computer with the case door off and wires sticking out all over.
Kid's LOVE yanking those wires.

sharpie on the monitor.
a random screw found on the floor was used to carve a squiggle into an LCD monitor.

kids are brutal.
I had to move everything into one room then keep the door locked at all times.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 05:04:46 pm »
People always find time for the things that are truely important to them...

On a (slightly) more helpful note, I believe the following makes it easier:

- where possible, get family involved in your hobby. I'm getting my son into vintage gaming so it is something we can do together. Two birds / one stone.

- tell your wife that you need some "me time" every now and again. Men need periods of isolation in man caves to maintain emotional health and well-being. We get grumpy without it.

- Bargain -I.e. I'll look after the kids tomorrow if you can let me have some time today... women also need "me time" and time with the girls to chat about all the stuff you don't have patience to listen to

- When necessary, tell your family that you can't tag along to Lego land (or whatever) because you have work to do. What you do if your boss is making you work on the weekend....

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:51 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 06:42:01 pm »
Show up at work wearing just a viking helmet and socks. Very soon you will have more free time than you ever thought possible.

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 04:46:01 am »
No mention of kids doing chores....or are those doing chores doing them with or supervising their kids?

Also, balance your hormones. There are lots of products and diy methods. I recently saw a Youtube ad for Testro-X, and went with it. Makes me feel wonderful, vital.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 08:24:37 pm »
Had a whole day off and planned to work on my cab.  Spent 0 minutes on it.   :angry: :angry: :angry:

Too many chores - yardwork and food shopping - plus sporting events and now my kid may have broken her arm at her soccer game.  We are waiting to see the doctor.  I need to take some personal time off of work soon so I can get some stuff done.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 11:54:33 pm »
Just dig in there and do it. If you gather all your parts together you should be able to go from stack of lumber to "painted cabinet with t-molding" in about 2 hours.

If you don't know what to build then copy a Defender cabinet, it builds out easily, is hard to screw up, easy to install monitor and controls in and you can use readily available Multi-Williams art kits on it.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 08:26:55 am »
I'm sure its been said many ways is this thread - you can make time..
There was a stretch on my largest project (not a cabinet) where it was sanding and longboarding for days and weeks and I hated it..
I got over the hump on the days where I just couldn't do it by going out to the shop for 10 minutes to pick up tools and put away..

or like going to the gym... even if you show up.. do one routine .. and leave..  you've done better than not show up..

It has to be part of your day...

My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 03:23:49 pm »
I'm sure its been said many ways is this thread - you can make time..
There was a stretch on my largest project (not a cabinet) where it was sanding and longboarding for days and weeks and I hated it..
I got over the hump on the days where I just couldn't do it by going out to the shop for 10 minutes to pick up tools and put away..

or like going to the gym... even if you show up.. do one routine .. and leave..  you've done better than not show up..

It has to be part of your day...
That pretty much nailed it ;D.... Total obsession, and some OCD doesn't hurt the cause either.

yo1dog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 10:48:49 am
    • MikeArcade
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 02:08:59 am »
I find a few hours on the weekend. As with most things, starting is half the battle.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 04:39:32 am »
Too many projects started and not finished.  I keep thinking new ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up, buy the parts and then leave it in a box marked - to do.  Got plenty of time with no distractions.  I guess I am spoilt for choice.

One would say I Procrastinate too much.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 09:37:05 am »
Too many projects started and not finished.  I keep thinking new ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up, buy the parts and then leave it in a box marked - to do.  Got plenty of time with no distractions.  I guess I am spoilt for choice.

One would say I Procrastinate too much.
I got boxes like that too, boxes some over... Well, quite old ::)... Ideas from a bygone era still on the workbench, being upgraded over the years but never built just a collection of parts in boxes. Its not easy finding the right stuff sometimes.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 10:15:15 am »
Just dig in there and do it. If you gather all your parts together you should be able to go from stack of lumber to "painted cabinet with t-molding" in about 2 hours.

2 hours to paint? You must have some ---smurfy--- paint jobs.

As for doing the work, this is a hobby. I do it when I have time and when I feel like it. I have ginger mostly rewired (2 FFB solenoids left to tie in) and I'll get to it when I feel like it. I have 2 far from done race projects in my garage, I have an old Globetrotters pinball body to either fix up or clone for Ginger 3.0 I have an empty Midway Universal cab to figure out what I'm doing with. I don't stress over projects, I just work on the one I feel like until its done.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 12:52:16 pm »
So last night I forced myself to watch the Giants game in the basement while trying to finalize some artwork.  I'm glad I did.  Not only did the Giants win, I actually made some progress.  My goal is to do something every night this week for at least an hour.  No reason why I can't - my basement is nice! 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 01:13:47 pm »
and that is how progress is made  :)
good job.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

AlienInferno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 09:58:54 pm
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 09:54:52 pm »
The only time I have to work on anything is when my daughter is asleep. So roughly an hour and a half in the afternoon and whatever at night. Sad thing is what I'm trying to do right now is get the primer coats done on my United Playboy shuffle target game. Been trying to get this restored since 2014 I think. Once I get the primer done I can paint the rest inside the house but for now all my work is done outside and during daylight hours only.

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »
My goal is to do something every night this week for at least an hour.  No reason why I can't - my basement is nice!

I've got wiring issues with some of P1 buttons that I need to work on. The wife works 3rd shift and takes a "nap" every night before she goes in so I have some free time every night starting around 9:30.  The plan is to, after Turkey Day, pull the panel and completely redo the wiring and finally add this LED-Wiz sitting inside cab.