Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: People who still trash original arcade hardware....  (Read 2198 times)

Zebra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
People who still trash original arcade hardware....
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:53:57 pm »
I saw the owner of my last local arcade throwing original arcade cabs in the trash (complete with working PCBs) today for issues like faulty monitors....

After crossing my chest and praying to arcade Buddha to go easy on his soul for destroying historical masterpieces, I asked if I could take his X-men cab home instead. So I got a free cab!

He then proceeded to tell me how it was a shame I didn't stop by last week because he trashed two fully working deluxe Time Crisis 2 cabs (just to make space)... and.... wait for it... an original Pacman cab as well as two Cruisin USA sit down cabs. He said it without a hint of shame....

If he would have said he trashed SF2 or Double Dragon cabs, I might have murdered him on the spot.

I had to tell someone and you guys are the only ones I know who would understand. Can you believe it...

This places is closing down soon, apparently, and they still have Time Crisis 3 and 4 cabs, Terminator Salvation, Jurassic park and House of the Dead. So.... I'll be hanging out in his trash can for next month just in case...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: People who still trash original arcade hardware....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:54:43 am »
This makes me sad :(

There are people like me who want to buy original cabs and cant find them at a half decent price.

Why would he chuck entire cabs!?

Very sad :’(

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 07:04:46 am »
Did you give him your phone number and ask him to give you a call before he trashed the next ones ?? No reason to watch the dumpster if he's willing to give you a call and probably a better chance they'd be less trashed if he doesn't have to break them up to fit in the dumpster !

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 08:56:00 am »
Did you give him your phone number and ask him to give you a call before he trashed the next ones ?? No reason to watch the dumpster if he's willing to give you a call and probably a better chance they'd be less trashed if he doesn't have to break them up to fit in the dumpster !

I'd go one step further and offer him $100/cab as an incentive for him to call you.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:09 am »
He then proceeded to tell me how it was a shame I didn't stop by last week because he trashed...

Everyone says this and it's never true.  Maybe it happened 10 years ago.

Anyway, let's see some pics.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 11:27:23 am »

I'd go one step further and offer him $100/cab as an incentive for him to call you.

He was one step ahead of you. When I went to pick it up, he suddenly wanted $150 for it. Even though he was going to throw it in the trash... I said yes anyway because it was still a good price (especially after I sell the PCB).

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 11:37:14 am »
He then proceeded to tell me how it was a shame I didn't stop by last week because he trashed...

Everyone says this and it's never true.  Maybe it happened 10 years ago.

Anyway, let's see some pics.

You might be right but with this guy, it seems plausible. The cabs he mentioned were indeed there on my previous visit and absent on the last one. There is also broken cabs all over the place in there. A maintenance guy told me "management has decided not to invest in fixing any more cabs so once they break, that's it".

It's kinda sad to see it. I take my son there to show him what arcades used to be like but this place manages to ruin the experience. These machines are wasted in the hands of a non-enthusiast these days. Home consoles never managed to capture the magic of a sit-down racer or the vigorous recoil of the Operation Wolf Uzi...

I wish there was a quality fan-run vintage arcade near where I lived. One of those places dedicated to preserving the memory and the hardware - just the way it was.

Who said nostalgia is a thing of the past....

Mr. Peabody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2019, 02:30:42 pm
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 08:01:33 pm »
I would think a CL ad would empty the place, free or not.