Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Reinforced cabinet for big CRT  (Read 5962 times)

fsflaquer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2021, 05:00:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Reinforced cabinet for big CRT
« on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:42 pm »
Hello!

I am planning to build my first cabinet, a 4 player upright based on the Simpsons/TMNT layout. I have a behemoth CRT TV, that weighs about 200 lbs, and I fear that just stretching the cabinet to fit the TV won't hold its weight...

Do you have any suggestions to reinforce the support for the TV?

Thank you!

PS: I am in the planning stage, will post pics as I settle for the layout and start the woodwork. May. Need. More. Help.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
Re: Reinforced cabinet for big CRT
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 01:06:45 am »
If you divide 200lbs by 4 you get 25.... I would suggest a 4 point frame carriage.

Aurelien

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2023, 11:00:02 am
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:43 am »
If you divide 200lbs by 4 you get 25

25kg? :-)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:38:33 am »
First the flux capacitor, and now basic math.  :laugh2:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:38 am »
That is pretty much a modern day flux capacitor, it has all the potential of one anyway, However you got me on the math ::), yes Jenn was working on something else at the time...But back to this, 25 pounds to a bolt would be a good baseline, without going all Mil. specs on it, The frame gets into a bridge made of toothpicks, or dropping a egg kinda thing, what are the actual numbers or how was it constructed for strength.... Personally I tend to overbuild and use Titanic as a template. but Would think a 3/16 steel carriage all welded up pretty would support the weight.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »
I'm giving this some thought for my own similar purpose.  I have a 27' CRT that I need to support in a horizontal position for a cocktail design I'm planning.  The ideal thing would be a welded frame to suit as jenn suggests.  I don't have any welding skills so the next best thing would be a hardwood sub frame.  With a CRT as heavy as the OP is planning I'd support that all the way to the floor rather than trying to suspend it within a box cabinet i.e. build a frame from the floor up and then clad around it with panels. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 12:56:46 am »
I'm giving this some thought for my own similar purpose.  I have a 27' CRT that I need to support in a horizontal position for a cocktail design I'm planning.  The ideal thing would be a welded frame to suit as jenn suggests.  I don't have any welding skills so the next best thing would be a hardwood sub frame.  With a CRT as heavy as the OP is planning I'd support that all the way to the floor rather than trying to suspend it within a box cabinet i.e. build a frame from the floor up and then clad around it with panels.
That shouldn't stop a clever guy like you, I would imagine you have studied engineering practices as result of tearing things apart over the years.... Welding is not really that hard, in fact a small arc welder could be had very cheaply to do a project like this, and you would have the basics down in an afternoon, however a wirefeed, MIG, or TIG would (MIG inparticular) would be a better investment for future projects.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:24:21 am by jennifer »

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 10:34:20 am »
Hello!

I am planning to build my first cabinet, a 4 player upright based on the Simpsons/TMNT layout. I have a behemoth CRT TV, that weighs about 200 lbs, and I fear that just stretching the cabinet to fit the TV won't hold its weight...

Do you have any suggestions to reinforce the support for the TV?

Thank you!

PS: I am in the planning stage, will post pics as I settle for the layout and start the woodwork. May. Need. More. Help.

You could consider a showcase style.  If its 30" or larger that is.  Largest CRT I would put in a cabinet would be 27"

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 08:29:35 am »
That shouldn't stop a clever guy like you, I would imagine you have studied engineering practices as result of tearing things apart over the years.... Welding is not really that hard, in fact a small arc welder could be had very cheaply to do a project like this, and you would have the basics down in an afternoon, however a wirefeed, MIG, or TIG would (MIG inparticular) would be a better investment for future projects.

Dammit jenn, now you've got me all interested in welders.  We have a tool shop nearby that has dozens of these things, I’ll go and talk to them on my days off.  I guess one positive thing about metal frames is they are much less bulky than timber with greater relative supporting strength.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
I'm building a bartop of sorts for my 25" crt arcade monitor and I am using a frame made of aluminum t-slot extrusions.

The t-slot extrusions are very cheap and slot togeather easily, quickly and neatly. You can then attach wood panels to the aluminum frame for the cabinet walls.

I believe this is the best and easiest diy method (other than buying a kit. I use an aluminum t-slot from to hold my 1000lb CNC machine so a 200lb crt should be no problem.

I don't trust my woodworking skills to hold up a 200lb crt year after year....

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 09:59:43 am »
Here is a 36" CRT mounted vertically in a Killer Instinct 2 cabinet held in with the factory mounts (they were just moved to accommodate the bigger monitor).

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,97260.msg1025567.html

Its been in that cabinet for 9 years now without any issue.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 11:22:46 am »
Here is a 36" CRT mounted vertically in a Killer Instinct 2 cabinet held in with the factory mounts (they were just moved to accommodate the bigger monitor).

That looks great. I love those KI cabs. They look really nice.

I would have no worries about trusting a real arcade cabinet made by professionals. It's my own woodworking skills that I wouldn't trust to hold a CRT. I'm using an aluminum t-slot frame because it will be strong and stable without any input from me...

morton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2021, 09:36:59 am
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 12:23:15 pm »

For some reason I thought it was only a 32"! Lol

How is that size monitor with vertical games? I have a 33" Showcase monitor needing a new home or something... giving me ideas!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 08:22:08 pm »
I would have no worries about trusting a real arcade cabinet made by professionals. It's my own woodworking skills that I wouldn't trust to hold a CRT. I'm using an aluminum t-slot frame because it will be strong and stable without any input from me...

That's just it, the sides are just 1 piece of 3/4" MDF , the brackets for the monitor are like 1/4" steel pieces. The cab is held together with glue and staples.
If fsflaquer is super worried, he can just run a 2x4 under the TV, then put another one like a post vertically from the base to the cross member; I just think its a bit of overkill.

How is that size monitor with vertical games? I have a 33" Showcase monitor needing a new home or something... giving me ideas!
Honestly, its too big for vertical games, I think a 27" is all you need but hey, make the world's biggest cocktail cab!
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.