Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 31khz resolutions being let through by CRT Emudriver  (Read 3332 times)

biglurk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 05:15:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
31khz resolutions being let through by CRT Emudriver
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:02 pm »
Hey guys. Not mame related as I have to fix this before I can even use a frontend proper, but I am having serious problems with CRT Emudriver. My exact issue is that unless I start a program with a 15khz progressive resolution that program is allowed to use 480p if it wants to. This not only endangers my monitors/tvs but makes it impossible to use my pc for any kind of emulation without constantly connecting and disconnecting a 31khz+ display for fixing the resolution. My workaround so far has been to leave the interlaced desktop res out of my modelines and just set one of my 15khz progressive super resolutions (e.g. 2560x240@60p) as my desktop resolution with arcade OSD before launching retroarch. As you can imagine this is exhausting. If this has been brought up before I am sorry.

PC: Optiplex 3010
VGA: AMD 6450 (shows up as 7400 in drivers)

Modelines do not matter as no matter the modelines or lack of modelines the program will be allowed to use 31khz resolutions if it so chooses. It seems that CRT Emudriver is simply not able to remove 640x480p60 as a usable display mode on my pc. At first I wasn't sure it was 31khz because it just showed a double screen on my crt but I connected my vga cable to my ossc and it indeed shows as 480p.

cyb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 04:25:20 pm
Re: 31khz resolutions being let through by CRT Emudriver
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:57:49 pm »
I had this same problem with a 6450 and I accidentally fixed it last night. I'm not sure how I fixed it exactly, but I think I disabled EDID emulation, reinstalled my modes, and enabled EDID emulation again. Try that and see if it works.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 06:45:02 am »
Go to start menu, type "services". Stop and disable the AMD External Events Utility service.

Then go into display properties from the desktop, and click the box to hide modes this monitor cannot display.

biglurk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 05:15:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:26:39 am »
Thanks for the help. Buttersoft's tip was what fixed my problem. Now when those programs want to use 480p they are using 480i. I'm still having problems with retroarch trying to use 640x480i every time I switch games without closing the open content first, but I'll take that over to the libretro forums. Thanks a lot guys.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 07:47:41 pm »
My memory says some guy we'd never seen before swung by the forums one day and blessed us all with that tip - it saved my bacon as well. Can't remember who it was to thank him properly though :(

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:05:47 am »
Can't remember who it was to thank him properly though :(

Sounds like something Oomek would have done... genius.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter